Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New build - E36 with an N54 Twin Turbo!

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85

New build - E36 with an N54 Twin Turbo!

What is up guys! I知 Frank Macaluso and I recently took on a lofty endeavor, but I知 no stranger to engine swaps.

I started this swap literally on March 1st - Looking to complete it in 3 months exactly. I have a 1997 M3 (auto), looking to swap a 2010 N54 Twin Turbo Drivetrain with a 6 speed. So there is a pedal swap being done too!

I知 here to tell you all how I did it! I do have a youtube series, but I wanted to help on the forum too. There are many ways to skin a cat, but this is the way I致e chosen. I am getting ya値l while in the middle of the swap, but I value your help, so any advice you池e willing to dispense, questions you may have, or general comments about the technology and common failures would be most welcomed!

I plan to bring this puppy to Gutenfest 2019 in June, along with my E30 S62. So I hope you enjoy where I知 going with this build and have some constructive comments!

This is a 1997 Alpine M3, bought by a customer of mine earlier this year. He bought it because he was in a front end accident and wanted to swap the drivetrain. This was an AWD E92, so we had to purchase a few parts to make it more user friendly to a RWD swap!

E92-1.jpg
    E92-2.jpg
    E92-3.jpg

So I purchased
    RWD oil pan from a E90 335i
    RWD 6sped from an E90 335i
    Other than that, most everything else can remain.

Engine positioning is always first on the list, and the most important because it dictates everything else on the car and as a result, all other ancilliary devices must work around the engine position.

I have a video on how I determined engine position here:

From there, I was able to build my transmission bracket, then shorten my shifter linkage. I did some live IG videos, but i shot myelf in the foot because I couldn't save it and take screenshots to show pictures at a minimum on how I did it.

As of today, the driveline is perfectly positioned where I need it but because of some part shortages, I am having to get creative with schedules and do some other things before I can complete the engine positioning.

I wanted to share my progress with the group here because I have done a lot of lurking up until this point to better understand E36 and E9X. So here I am offering an amalgamation of the 2! I hope you guys enjoy where I go with this swap. I should be done by May, so this will be a pretty quickly moving swap.

Again, any comments, updates, help, or advice you have I always welcome! Many thanks and stay tuned for more updates this evening!!
    Frank Macaluso - BMW Drivetrain Transplanter
    Frank Macaluso
    http://www.garageaholic.build
    BMW Engine Swaps
    Current Swap 2016 LT1/6 into E24 6er
    607-953-9587
    Contact@garageaholic.build

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    That's what's up. Good work man, the n54 has always been one of the best, if not the best, swap for this car IMO. Love to see another one coming to be a reality.

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Thanks man! I値l post more pictures up of the build tonight.
    This is much more involved than I had anticipated but has been a blast working on so far!!
    So I hope that this benefits you guys. I値l be more descriptive as I make more progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    It's great to see more folks swapping the N-series motors these days. Keep up the good work. Personally, I'd prefer to see more of these swaps over the common LS conversion. Not saying the LS isn't great, because its proven that it is but the straight six (with or without a turbo) was always my preferred layout for the e36.

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Some more pics of latest progress. Engine positioned - Done. Shifter Done, Trans Bracket Done,

Overall engine position while the E36 is in the air. Not too bad!

You can see that the 6 speed transmissions are in fact quite different, and as such are different part numbers: AWD on the left, RWD on the right.

Shifter parts, shortened. Need final welding.

Trans Bracket looks pretty good and is pretty strong. Might want to add more bracing just because. Going 80A poly mounts here, so that means that the bracket itself will need to absorb more impact, so maybe I might brace it up a bit more.

When replacing oil pans, found the engine to be quite clean!

Extracted the entire CAS3 system so the installation is plug and play - Now I need to figure out where to install the start button and key holder. Center Console perhaps?

EKPS Fuel Computer Ready for installation. It's all part of the PT-CAN bus, so I'll need to wire this up with the DME, along with the relay. Shouldn't be too hard.

While we're on the subject of wiring, I need to figure out which one of these harnesses are necessary and which ones aren't. I know for certain that the X6011 connector is for the Starter and Instrument cluster functions. That one is the white one on the very right.

This engine position dictates that the stock E30 M3 driveshaft can be used with good spline engagement. This is good news for anyone looking to save $600-$700 on a custom sized driveshaft.

That's all for now. Next is Engine Mounting. I just got my 80A poly mounts from Garagistic, so I can now position the engine with custom subframe mounting. Hoping to take dimensions so that engine position can be replicated for yall.
    Last edited by Garageaholic; 04-20-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Wow, that's quite a project. Seems like you have a good handle on it. I would go about this more or less the same way, position the engine and transmission to fit/Chop chop make it fit where you want. Then fabricate the mounts, then exhaust ect. The real bitch here is the wiring and electronics, you seem to have a better understanding than most. Thanks for posting, I'll be checking this out as you go.

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to help!

Today, I installed the Passenger Side Engine Mount. I did this one first mainly because I am still waiting on my E85 Z4 Driver mount. Need that mount in order to clear the steering column. Learned that trick from Hackentt on the forums here. Thanks again!!

So here are some pics of the in process build, but I have a youtube on it too if you wanted to see the details!

Now on to the pictures. The bracket is plenty strong to handle the weight of the engine and then some.

First was to get the trans mounts updated from the rubber to the poly as well. Need to make sure that any driveline settling due to the rubber was addressed early on before welding the motor brackets:

Here is the bracket, sans mount, but marked and getting ready for the bracket weld

Here is the bracket, sans mount!

Bracket with mount!

Now, I have the Trans mount and Pass Mount ONLY. I did not do the driver side. But the oil pan is sitting on a couple of wood spacers on the subframe, so it's braced pretty good. Having said that I was able to remove any jacks I had under the car, so I can lower the car and start working on radiator design if I want while I wait for the driver engine bracket.
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Engine mount bracket looks pretty good. I want you to cut a couple pieces of steel plate to weld into that transmount "Box it" so to speak. Just a little concerned that the... You know it looks like maybe you did than on the top already...

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    Engine mount bracket looks pretty good. I want you to cut a couple pieces of steel plate to weld into that transmount "Box it" so to speak. Just a little concerned that the... You know it looks like maybe you did than on the top already...
    Great suggestion - I値l beef it up a little. I agree with you it was a bit weak but I壇 like to add a few more parts to give it some more structural strength. More pics of that to come later

For now, some exhaust work on the rise. I壇 like to get the cats and v bands installed by Friday.

Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85

Exhaust Header Downpipes Done

So I got the exhaust header downpipes complete. I got a video I issued here if you want to see how I did it. I also have some stills. This was not very difficult, but I had the lift so it made things easier. Overall, I used 2.5" 304SS Tube (16Ga) and used about 5-6 bends to get the cats in a vertical up/down configuration as opposed to side-by-side. This allowed me now to clear the control arm lollipop, thereby ensuring that the engine can be installed with the header downpipes installed. Makes things just a tad bit easier.

I had to bang back the passenger firewall to make the upper (cylinder 4,5,6) cat fit in place, but now that's just fine tuning.

To to list next week:
    1. Beef up trans mount a bit
    2. Begin welding up the exhaust
    3. Radiator Fitment

Thanks guys for tuning in!

Frank Macaluso
    Last edited by Garageaholic; 04-27-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Updates! So I got the radiator fit...for now. I think so might want to push it further forward just another inch, because it will make plumbing and electric fan integration much easier. So this will involve cutting the edges of the frame rails yet again, but at this point I知 basically planning to weld completely new frame rails anyway with all the gusseting I am planning to do.

As of now I have the radiator in a spot that is secure, with some good mounts welded up.

Intercooler will be upgraded so we値l definitely have room for that in the m3 bumper. All radiators are planned to be plumbed including air conditioning.
    So enough of me blabbering on.

Some pictures below and my latest YouTube vid!!

https://youtu.be/Ap0kPcO6NQc

Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Your going to need an electric fan for that no? Looking good bud!

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Thanks! Yeah actually more progress as of today. I ended up moving The radiator forward another inch so a little bit more fabrication work was necessary. This allows the use of the existing electric fan, which you can see at the end of the video below. Most of everything is lined up but very loosely installed. Now that everything is set in its position I need to connect the dots and design some Brackets to connect them all and braced up the entire front end structure.
    Moving the radiator forward even further allows me the opportunity to use a lot of the existing plumbing for all four of those radiators in that sub assembly. A little bit more work up front to save me more fabrication work later.
    Very good points!
    Check it out!

Last edited by Garageaholic; 04-20-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Some more pictures of the radiator bracket. I had to start from scratch virtually here. I really had my heart set on using the E92 Radiator package, and as such, the core support needed to be redesigned. It was tough, but it will make plumbing much easier having everything exactly where I want it. No worries about overheating, and I have plenty of room for the 7" aftermarket intercooler.

Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85

Radiator Placement Completed! Part 3 of 3. Now on to the next!

All the details are here!

But I gotta vent here. This took most of the entire weekend to complete. I'm talking the planning, cardboard cutting, metal cutting, final welding. A lot of thought went into this section and I am actually pretty proud of how far this has come.

I completed the passenger frame rail and will complete the driver side soon!

On to the pictures. The Radiator core support was really challenging, but the final welding was pretty fun! I think I'm getting better at the welding here.

Close up on my sexy welds. Probably my best work - Ever

The work on the frame rails. First, cut the pieces you need with cardboard. So quick and easier to fab than the metal.

Then cut it out of steel. I am using 16ga (.054") mild steel.

I decided to use a 2.0" stainless steel 16ga exhaust pipe to REDEFINE where the bumper bracket shock mounts within. So I faced it to the frame rail mount and tacked it in...for now

Traced a circular support bracket to help brace it in. This will get welded.

Then tacked it all up.

Now that that's all complete, it's simply a matter of placing the sheetmetal pre-cut parts, lay it over, hammer and shape it as needed, tack, shape, tack, shape, then final weld until you're happy with the final product.

I'm happy with the final product. I don't know for sure but it just feels stronger than stock. Maybe it is!

In this last photo, you can see how the radiator support bracket is integrated. That thing ain't going anywhere!

These pictures really don't do it justice. I was able to show the process in much more detail in the video here. Click at your own will!
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Some more updates, but no pictures. Not many really to share on this one. Sort of a boring update. And that is.

PEDALS.

Accelerator Pedal swap from the old cable driven to the new E92 Electronic.
    Auto to Manual Swap and discussing hydraulic clutch theory.

Not one of my best, but still probably my most educational
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    yay
    This is great. Love the forum updates.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Fantastic work. If you were local I would lend you a hand you obviously don't need.
    Quick question on welding on the chassis, what are you doing to prevent emf and other electrical nightmares? I assume you have at least pulled the battery and DME, should I earth ground or anything? Any onther special tips for preventing electrical system damage would be greatly appreciated. I have been seeing some E36 go up in flames from bad electrical and I am wondering if this could be a culprit or if its just old wiring.

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Fantastic work. If you were local I would lend you a hand you obviously don't need.
    Quick question on welding on the chassis, what are you doing to prevent emf and other electrical nightmares? I assume you have at least pulled the battery and DME, should I earth ground or anything? Any onther special tips for preventing electrical system damage would be greatly appreciated. I have been seeing some E36 go up in flames from bad electrical and I am wondering if this could be a culprit or if its just old wiring.

Hey Bud and thanks for the feedback. Yeah, most if a not all electronics are detached from the car. The DME for the engine isn't even part of the harness. It's on my bench for the moment.
    Typically when welding on a chassis, the standard that I use in my career working on fuel cell buses and repair is that when welding on the chassis, as long as your ground lead is within 2-3 feet of your want (whether you mig, tig, or stick weld), you should be fine. The metal naturally takes the path of least resistance, so you just need to be sure that your ground and your welding location are close together with no path in the way of sensitive electronics.

Having said that, you still want to disconnect anything because you never know.

Most of the time when cars go up in flames like you describe it's 90% because people don't fuse their wiring on their custom harnesses. But the other 10% is because they fool around with existing wiring by putting in a NO relay when it should be NC, or putting a wrong fuse in a stock location, or simply a bad or missing chassis ground, finally you can't rule out old or corroded wiring with cracked insulation that simply grounds to chassis at the most inopportune moment. Typically fuses should catch that though.

Great questions!
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85

Power Steering Pump/Reservoir/Lines

Time for power steering. This was not plug and play for this swap, but it also was not difficult. Just need to be mindful of your welding. I did this for my E30 S62 swap back in the day and it worked perfect for both the power steering lines as well as the air conditioning lines. Just cut, reposition/add/remove, and then reweld. All 4 major components were set in their place, and then it was just a matter of connecting A to B.
    Power Steering Rack
    Pump
    Reservoir
    Cooler
    Once I had it set in place, connect the tube to each of the components and figure out how to make them connect with minimal interference to other items (frame, other tubing...etc). When welding, I needed to make sure I didn't overheat the tube welding close to the rubber hose. So other than that, it was pretty cut and dry.
    Here is the layout of the reservoir and lines before modifications:

I know it looks dirty for now. But it will all be cleaned up after final install. Here I have the high pressure tube in a vice before I cut it for reweld.

Positioning the reservoir in the general location I need it. This is not rocket science, so I needed to make an appropriately sized angle, shave it to conform to the wheel well housing, drill the holes where I needed them (using a vernier caliper), weld the nuts to the backside, then assemble.

Here's a shot of the necessary positioning of the lines going into the power steering cooler (part of the radiator subassembly)

Some pics of the lines themselves after having been welded, repositioned, and then installed.

And finally, what would this be without a video to complement the details not mentioned here!?
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Shes coming together! Sick dude! I wish you would box in that transmount, Just add a few more support pieces? Pleaaaase?

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Shes coming together! Sick dude! I wish you would box in that transmount, Just add a few more support pieces? Pleaaaase?
    That is definitely in the lineup! Just so everyone knows how I plan to do this swap in the nearterm:
    1. Current Stage - Get everything installed, fabbed, even if not 100% complete. Just get it in and fitting.
    2. Next stage - Remove drivetrain from car, organize all customized pieces, final weld, brace, paint/powdercoat. Will also include working the engine bay, cleaning/painting it. I'll also be doing engine preventative maintenance and detailing the engine while it's out.
    3. Final Stage - Reinstall everything. This is where it all will start to come together. Installing new parts for the last time, everything all cleaned, painted. It will be a pleasure to do final assembly. Then will come fluids fill, first start, and then test drive. I'm sure there are iterations there, but overall, this is the plan!

Frank
    Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Seems like a reasonable course, I will have to get back into my handle bar an re-fabricate it, there were a few details I am unhappy with. That's prototyping for you.
    Dude you should fab one up and try it out, its pretty easy.

My Cars
    E30S62, E21S54, E31S85
    Seems like a reasonable course, I will have to get back into my handle bar an re-fabricate it, there were a few details I am unhappy with. That's prototyping for you.
    Dude you should fab one up and try it out, its pretty easy.
    Fab what exactly? Handle bar?

Frank Macaluso
    BMW Engine Swaps
    607-953-9587

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Differential1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Garageaholic View Post
    Fab what exactly? Handle bar?

Handle Bar, a torsion bar for the diff/swaybar reinforcement. Bolts into boxed in tabs at the swaybar bushing mounts.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 05-02-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast