Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E36 Roll Center Correction Experience(s)

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Good luck with the new kit. I wouldn't be willing to continue using anything that repeatedly loosened up on a part that will destroy the car (and maybe you) if it comes completely loose.

I inquired about Turner's kit a month or two back and they told me no stock until Oct

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirch View Post
    Good luck with the new kit. I wouldn't be willing to continue using anything that repeatedly loosened up on a part that will destroy the car (and maybe you) if it comes completely loose.

I inquired about Turner's kit a month or two back and they told me no stock until Oct
    If you pick up the Turner kit please report back!
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328iS
    I second paint marking the outer big bolt on the SLR. I have had one of them back off some as one side is not quite long enough to engage the metal lock on the nut. I put red locktite on it and re torqued it and been 20+ hours on track with no change.
    Christopher
    STX 197
    1997 328is

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MPWRCPE View Post
    If you pick up the Turner kit please report back!
    It would be cool if someone got experience with the Turner kit. FYI, I couldn't find specs on it (amount RC and bump correction) on their web site. Gave them a call, but was on hold too long.

My Cars
    95 M3 GTS2/ST
    Curious - did you ever try using Loctite Red on the nut and seeing if it held?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No I haven't. I didn't want to use that until the parts had been cycled/seated, but because they've been coming loose from day 1, I just haven't felt red-locktite is the right answer. I'd probably try that at this point, but the SLR kit arrives Saturday. To be clear, there are 2 problems with the MRT kit. It has a 25mm RC drop, which puts the widest part of the LCA right next to the edge of the rotor (E46 M3 rotor on an E36 M3), and it rubs. And this nut comes loose every 2 days problem.

Hoping the SLR kit (30mm RC drop, bigger bolt/nut compared to MRT) fixes both those problems.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Got the SLR kit in. I'll do a better comparison once I remove the MRT kit. For starters, this bolt is 16mm on the SLR kit, 11mm on the MRT kit (which is the one that keeps coming loose).
    If the same thing happens on this nut, it's big enough to drill and safety wire, which with my history, I may do from the get-go.

One advantage of the MRT, it can use OEM tie rod ends ( because its RC & bumpsteer correction is ~ 5mm less).

There's a lot going on here, and I think the MRT kit may be fine for some applications (OEM rotors, street application).

SLR-lca-boltnut.jpg
    Last edited by aeronaut; 09-22-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    332TI, '06 330 XI
    My Large bottom nut came loose (despite ample red locktite) again this weekend. Seems to be that it does this every time I go to Mid-Ohio! Anyone try wiring the nut, or using those washers mentioned above?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jdehaan View Post
    My Large bottom nut came loose (despite ample red locktite) again this weekend. Seems to be that it does this every time I go to Mid-Ohio! Anyone try wiring the nut, or using those washers mentioned above?
    That's a bit concerning. IMO, that nut is large enough to drill & safety wire. If you're not up for that, try Nord-lock washers (not cheap, but available on Amazon, McMaster, etc).
    Also, double check the torque of the top nut on that stud.

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Got the SLR kit in. I'll do a better comparison once I remove the MRT kit. For starters, this bolt is 16mm on the SLR kit, 11mm on the MRT kit (which is the one that keeps coming loose).
    If the same thing happens on this nut, it's big enough to drill and safety wire, which with my history, I may do from the get-go.

One advantage of the MRT, it can use OEM tie rod ends ( because its RC & bumpsteer correction is ~ 5mm less).

There's a lot going on here, and I think the MRT kit may be fine for some applications (OEM rotors, street application).

SLR-lca-boltnut.jpg
    How much RC correction does the SLR provide?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    SLR says 35mm.
    MRT says 30mm.
    I'll try to remember to actually measure them both.

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    Just drill through the nut and bolt when fully tightened and run a split pin through it. Not sure if that's the same theory as your safety wire one.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dominator293 View Post
    Just drill through the nut and bolt when fully tightened and run a split pin through it. Not sure if that's the same theory as your safety wire one.
    This would reduce the strength of the both the nut and bolt. (Safety wiring a nut reduces the strength of the nut but not the bolt.)
    This wouldn't allow for minor torque adjustments of the nut. (eg, a need to tighten 1/8th of a turn.)

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    At the end of the nut/bolt engagement it wouldn't be a big deal. If it survived untorqued, it'll survive a tiny .040 safety wire hole in it!

That said, safety wire/cotter pin torquing is usually some minimum torque (like 50% target torque), then turn until you get the holes lined up. So I'd torque everything, then drill, and you're good to go from then on +/- any tolerance that matters.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Due to a misunderstanding (my fault), and a part that was manufactured out of spec (SLR's fault), I've emailed SLR and been on the phone with them twice.
    Their service and support is stellar. I ended up talking to Shawn for about 15min about various geometry/brake/LCA setups.
    Good stuff. Hopefully replacement parts get here this week, and I can get them installed and report back.

One BIG difference between MRT and SLR is the spindle size that bolts through the LCA. MRT=13mm, SLR=16mm. Yea. That feels much better. I have no engineering analysis to support my emotions.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The tapered studs used by MRT (top) and SLR (bottom). The 13mm nut on the MRT is the one that kept loosening every 2 days. A NordLock washer seemed to have finally stopped that from happening. However, on removal of this stud, the top nut (16mm) was partially stripped. The MRT spec for that nut is 105Nm. A class 4.8 16mm fastener max tq is 89Nm, a 8.8 class 16mm is 237Nm. I'm confident I never overtorqed that nut.

taperedstuds.jpg

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    omg, that is a massive stress riser where the threads start! Why would the step down the diameter so much? Seems like a bizarre engineering choice.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yep. Agree. And there's no reason for that sudden step down. Other than bearing choice (small ID), and lower machining costs. (Meaning, they picked a small bearing ID, then chose the cheapest way to fit that bearing.)

- - - Updated - - -

Actually...no...I'm wrong.
    I have no idea why that step down to 13mm is needed. That's not the bearing ID.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 09-30-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    It's probably so they can use an off the shelf nut and get more angulation on the spherical bearing. Still needs a giant radius on the lead out of the threads.

Losing torque and preload on that tapered stud probably didn't do any favors for thread loading, with large dynamic amplification factors being reacted by parts of the threads. As those yield, the whole thing is on borrowed time as it keeps getting hammered with these high loads.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Good point on the articulation of the spherical, yes, that would allow the nut to be closer to the bearing and still articulate.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The saga continues. I'll avoid the details...but I have a technical question. Spacers and spherical bearing; should there be "slack"? See video:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...tries*=0&mgh=1

SLR was to ship a few replacement parts yesterday, but haven't been shipped yet. (Maybe I'm just destined to not have RC correction.)

Also chatted with TMS about their kit. Asked what the RC correction was. They said they didn't know, and that I should contact ECS.
    Ok, Chat with ECS. Nope, didn't know. Sent an email, we'll see.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    The saga continues. I'll avoid the details...but I have a technical question. Spacers and spherical bearing; should there be "slack"? See video:
    Is there a chance that there's a top and bottom standoff, and you have 2 of the "top" or "bottom" ones together that are too long?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Damn I wish. But nope. 1 of each:
    IMG_20200929_173812.resized.jpg

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Looks easy to fix on a sanding disc ... though a lathe would obviously be the right tool to take it down a touch. Of course you should not have to do anything. Sheesh.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Agreed, Everytime I look at buying a lathe, I get lost in the "next version up".

I need to remove about 0.3mm.

But jesus....why do I need to make custom spacers.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast