Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mills' 733i Build Thread

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i

Post Mills' 733i Build Thread

Hello fellow e23s,

This will be the build thread for my BMW '83 733i. My goal is restore the car to it's former glory, while learning a thing or two about BMW cars. I have always been a fan of BMW, and the totaling of my '05 Honda CRV brought me the unique opportunity of owning this car. The previous owners had attempted to resurrect the car as an Alpina clone, which is a move that I am not the most fond of. They are wizards over there in Buchloe and I do not want to taint their image with my mere mortal e23. That being said,
    I am kind of an old soul, so I love and respect the image of past decades. I want the original look of this car, plus or minus a few body modifications and changes that I find tasteful. I would like to slowly repair and replace all problematic mechanical issues until I feel satisfied with the performance of the car. I also wish to revamp the interior and exterior to almost mint condition, while being functional in this modern world. Being the car novice and first time BMW owner that I am, I would hope that you find this thread interesting if not comical. So stay tuned for my hopefully successful journey back to the '80s.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    This is my first photo album (with captions) of my build. Please check it out. It contains information about the car and some pictures of it right when I purchased it.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/xA93Mot

This album is of pictures that I had taken initially. In future tasks, I will be sure to take better before and after pictures.
    Last edited by millshubbard; 03-29-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Good luck with her and looking forward to updates. I'm in Atlanta also and saw this one listed. I keep an eye out for E23s, although I don't have room for another car at the moment anyway.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    I have a quick update on the progress of the car. Check it out! It includes some simple fixes i did on the car.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/M33YfoJ

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    I have an issue with my coolant system and could use some experienced input. Please take a look and feel free to comment!
    https://imgur.com/gallery/8blTdLF

My Cars
    '80 733i , '76 2002
    I'm not super experienced, but that looks like the transmission to me. If you have coolant down there, something is seriously wrong.

My Cars
    1985 745i
    Check the heater hose at the back of the cylinder head.
    When your enemy is making a mistake, do not interrupt him.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    I’m not very experienced, but I am currently attempting to take out the heater core box and check the heater core myself. I’m making sure to document all of the parts that fit together and fully uninstalling my dashboard. I’m going to use the time in between when I find the issue and when I get the replacement part to refill the cracks in my dashboard and reupholster it. Then I will attempt to reassemble the dashboard and heater box. I’ll make an official update after the issue is solved.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    That is a highly ambitious journey you're about to embark on!!! My hats off, take your time and expect to spend more $ than you thought as it's somewhat of a rabbit hole. Lots of other parts to replace while it's all apart, you'll thanks yourself later trust me.
    Good luck and keep updating.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Heater core can be replaced without pulling dash board or the HVAC box, as can all HVAC vacuum pods. Those are all old wives tales from keyboard techs over the years.

That car looks like it will require a ton of work. Make sure it has zero rot before proceeding restoring it as well as run a compression test on the engine. You may be better off finding an example out in in TX or CA that has no rot, is newer, and overall better condition for not too much more cash.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Heater core can be replaced without pulling dash board or the HVAC box, as can all HVAC vacuum pods. Those are all old wives tales from keyboard techs over the years.

That car looks like it will require a ton of work. Make sure it has zero rot before proceeding restoring it as well as run a compression test on the engine. You may be better off finding an example out in in TX or CA that has no rot, is newer, and overall better condition for not too much more cash.
    He makes a good point. Assess what you actually have because the car you are working on may turn out to be a better donor car, and your money better spent on something closer to restored. If you look at my thread that's what happened to me. I bought a 745 for 2K. It didn't work out but it had some really good parts that I could use to complete what was missing on another car that was in way better shape. On top of that once I am finished I will have a ton of parts I can sell. So, in your worst case you may just have bought a bunch of parts ahead of time. Or, you may be able to get this one where you want it. In either case Eric is right in his note of caution. Assess what you really have then move forward.

Lots of help here for sure if you need it.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I see that the rubber boot around the automatic transmission shifter cable has popped out of the tunnel sheet metal. That is why your coolant smoke got into the cabin. You will want to pop that back in (and fix the source of the coolant leak, like was said above, check the heater hose that comes off the back of the head)
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post

How does one assess the quantity of rot. I have checked all around the car very thoroughly, top and bottom, and everything seems to be a-ok. I have no way of checking the status of the engine or transmission currently. Also I assume rot is lot rot.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback (and their warnings)! I have done a lot of thinking about the future of the car and my plans for it. Regardless of what happens, I have already learned waaaaaay more about BMW and cars in general after buying the car and I have had it for less than 3 months. If this thread ends with a bunch of "I told you so!"s, go ahead and contact me for parts.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    These cars tend to rot out where the bottoms of the front fenders attach to the rockers, inside the inner rockers both at the front and back of the car, and at the jack pad locations, among other places. For some reason the right front jack location seems to be the one to go first. If all of those spots on your car are rust free, you are very lucky. My 733i has a lot more rust than I'd like it to have but it's better than others I've had and seen.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    Update on my heater core repair. The new core came in a couple weeks ago, and I have just started to reassemble my car again. I have replaced the heater core in the heater box, and the heater box is nice and cozy back where it belongs. My issues as a novice begin here; What coolant is recommended for old bimmers such as these? I have a couple liters of regular ol’ 50/50 pre-diluted, but some people strongly recommend purchasing the BMW brand antifreeze and diluting it yourself. I’ve hardly touched coolant as I haven’t been driving long, much less an old german car and I know there is not much room for error. So what is recommended for the e23 specifically? I am also unfamiliar with flushing the coolant system although it is strongly recommended. Do I flush it from the coolant tank and let it drip out? Or is there a specific flushing point somewhere along the coolant line? When flushing, what do I use? I would guess distilled water? I maybe recall someone using a hose to push water through the system, but I am unsure. Then how long should I wait after flushing to put coolant in? I know if I have some extra water somewhere in the system when I fill the coolant level back up that it could potentially cause problems (like heater core damage, which would be counterproductive). I have researched heavily about all of these inquiries, but the only answers I could find were how to bleed the system, which seems easy enough. And bleeding my system could be problematic as my instrument cluster is 10% functioning. The temp gauge is sadly excluded from that 10%, making it hard to know when I reach the right temp to start bleeding. I am also terrified to start my car at any point during this process because the damage from running a poorly done coolant replacement could ruin the car. What are the major DON’TS that I should keep in mind? Also any in-depth information you could reference about bleeding this car would be massively appreciated. Also if anyone is selling a working instrument cluster (or even just parts of the cluster), I am looking to get that working as soon as the car is running. If any of these questions seem stupid or you have seen/answered them too many times, any information no matter how little is very helpful. Thanks!

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    Update on heater core issue. Not a complete update for the entire issue, but here. https://imgur.com/gallery/rQRthtm
    Take a look!

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Good job so far my friend. As far as coolant goes, don't overthink it. The BMW stuff or another good quality coolant will do just fine.

On another note, since you have the dash out and it is all right in front of you. check the vacuum pods and hoses, and change whatever is needed. Also it would be a good time to change dash lights, OBC light, Instrument lights, change the cluster batteries if they need it, and clean up any wiring that may have been hacked into over the years. All of those are cheap fixes and the vac pods are reasonable. Also clean up your evaporator core. They collect a lot of crap over the years.

On top of that, I have to say you did not go into this gently Dash removal by itself is a chore. Add the heater box to it and you are now an experienced BMW tech. It's all down hill from here.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    So... the bimmer is back and running, full synopsis later. Right now, my car overheat and a pipe popped off and I can't find where it goes. It is upper most pipe on the coolant expansion tank and it was leaking coolant steam. If anyone has any coolant maps or any advice please help

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    The small diameter hose that comes off the side of the coolant reservoir fill neck is just an overflow drain that dumps towards the ground near frame rail
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    So upon further inspection, I am experiencing a leak from the fan housing in the front by the radiator. It is a steady leak that seems to be coming from somewhere at the bottom of the housing, and I can't seem to locate it. If anyone has previously had any coolant leaks or issues in this location please leave some advice. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Fan housing? You mean the water pump? Or do you mean your radiator is leaking and draining out from under the radiator support? I hope your overheating event didn't warp the head.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 733i
    It is definitely the water pump. It looks to be the original water pump, so I would like to replace it entirely along with the adjacent hoses. Any sources that are helpful for water pump replacement would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I am running a $25 Gates 42016 water pump from Rockauto
    Steve H.

My Cars
    7331, 1978
    thanks millshubbard this is very helpful. I am restoring a 1979 733i euro with the same heater core problem. I would very much like to know more about replacing the heater core without removing the dash. thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

I am very interested in learning more about replacing the heater core without removing the dash. Any help on this would be great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast