Thread: 1998 E36 M3 Another camshaft position sensor P0340 problem

My Cars
    E36 M3

1998 E36 M3 Another camshaft position sensor P0340 problem

Hey all, ive been going through everything trying to clear out this p0340 code. I've tried a new wiring harness, ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs. Been fiddling around with a multimeter I get 2.5 volts on the black wire 0 on brown and 0 on yellow( I have read elsewhere that similar car has functioned correctly showing 2.5 volts. Key in on position). I understand that it is important to get oe equipment. So I ordered a new sensor off fcpeuro which was advertised as Siemens/vdo.
    Installed and ran fine no code for about 5/6 starts and then code was back as well as the batch firing of the injectors and crap performance. So I'm over here pulling my hair out trying to stay calm when I decide to take a look at the box the sensor came in. No where on the box I received does it say Siemens nor on the sensor. Just vdo. No scratched off bmw logo either. Said it was made in Brazil which contradicts the link I purchased it from which said Slovenia. Has anyone had any experience with this? The crankshaft sensor I ordered from autohausaz was the same vdo brand but had a seal of authenticity on it and said made in France. I've ordered an expensive 157 dollar sensor from autohausaz that is genuine BMW should be here in a few days hoping that works. But if it doesn't any ideas? New dme is all I can think of at this point.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E36 M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    It’s the sensor, 100%. Just went through the same shit buying from FCP (installed in Nov 18’ just replaced it with Genuine BMW last week). That VDO sensor is trash.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 03-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    It’s the sensor, 100%. Just went through the same shit buying from FCP (installed in Nov 18’ just replaced it with Genuine BMW last week). That VDO sensor is trash.
    +1 .. tried to go non OEM sensor and had the light come back. Went Genuine BMW sensor and I have had no lights since.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Same story here, purchased the Siemens/VDO sensor from BavAuto and it lasted a couple of weeks, replaced it with genuine BMW and no problems since...emailed BavAuto re the VDO failure and they refunded my $$$, no return necessary, just had to show them the invoice from the BMW purchase.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Well I've received a response from fcp euro they are happy to refund me, but noted the item I received was the oe equipment with the logo scratched off. No such scrape marks or anything. They might want to be checking their source I don't think they are getting the same part anymore. 2 more days til I get the genuine sensor so just hoping it works

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebit8 View Post
    +1 .. tried to go non OEM sensor and had the light come back. Went Genuine BMW sensor and I have had no lights since.
    This is the OEM sensor we are talking about. BMW branded sensors are OE. This Siemens/VDO sensor sold by FCP is advertised as OEM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smedly22 View Post
    Well I've received a response from fcp euro they are happy to refund me, but noted the item I received was the oe equipment with the logo scratched off. No such scrape marks or anything. They might want to be checking their source I don't think they are getting the same part anymore. 2 more days til I get the genuine sensor so just hoping it works
    It absolutely is not the Genuine sensor with the BMW logo drilled out. Even the casing is different.

This is what they are probably trying to claim, which may have been true in the past, but isn't what was delivered.

Last edited by Braymond141; 03-29-2019 at 09:37 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Yup that looks just like the one I received. That's a bummer guess i need to be super careful when ordering anything. Or just stick with autohausaz have not had any problems with them after many orders

My Cars
    11 128i
    Timely thread, I bought a VDO sensor from FCP in january and received the "VDO 36 17" same as the one in Braymond's first picture. I've been having random issues with it since I installed it, I just assumed my old sensor was good and it was something else on the circuit that was bad. Sounds like I need to swap it for a genuine one.
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
    Timely thread, I bought a VDO sensor from FCP in january and received the "VDO 36 17" same as the one in Braymond's first picture. I've been having random issues with it since I installed it, I just assumed my old sensor was good and it was something else on the circuit that was bad. Sounds like I need to swap it for a genuine one.
    Swap it. Don’t even think about, just do it.

My Cars
    11 128i
    I ordered a BMW sensor and will swap it. I wonder if there are any issues with the VDO crank sensors? From what I understand, if the crank sensor is bad the car won't start though.
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    So far no issues with the crank sensor I put in chasing all the codes the bad camshaft sensor was giving off.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Genuine part fixed all my problems. Woohoo. Wish I had just got the good one from the getgo but hey my wiring harness only has 33k on it now so that's cool. Vdo crankshaft sensor from France seems to be working fine btw

- - - Updated - - -

Now I can get on to the fun stuff like the full aluminum radiator I've had sitting around for a month

My Cars
    11 128i
    As an update, I swapped my "new" VDO sensor for a new Genuine BMW sensor and have not had any more warm start issues. Thanks for the thread.
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry