My Cars
    2011 X5 35d

X5 35d Fuel Pump

Long story short....A family member has 2011 X5 35D with 128k KMS on it and was traveling to Florida when the CEL came on. Shortly after it went into limp mode they had it towed to the nearest dealer. It took 2 days for them to tell them the fuel pump was bad and that it needed to be replaced. When that didn't fix it, they replaced the fuel pump controller. When that didn't fix it, they said the HPFP failed and they needed to replace the whole fuel system. Gave a quote for 17k USD. We went the insurance route but was denied because the fuel came back testing clean. We had it transported to the border where I picked it up as they continued on to Florida for 5 months.

The weather here was crap for so long the truck has sat in my driveway, but recently I fired it up to see if I can figure out what is wrong.

I have a FoxWell device with the full BMW support, so I hooked it up and cleared all of the codes and when for a drive. So far no limp mode but I do have a 4BDA code with no other symptoms. Some things I notice:

1.. The Expected Rail Pressure and Actual have no real variance. They seem to be fine. The truck also performs well under both normal and hard driving.
    2.. The Tank pump only gives me a handfull of parameters but one of them is expected RPM and Actual RPM of the pump. The actual is always just a bit less than half of the expected. (Expected RPM 4400, actual 2700 RPM)
    3.. I have looked for the tank pump pressure but maybe I haven't looked hard enough but it is not in the Fuel Pump controll unit.
    4.. I have found the "Enhanced BMW Diesel Performance Brief: which seems to stat that the pump can operate in 3 modes. On, RPM, or Pressure. It then states that the E70 utilizes Pressure. I don't see the metric but maybe it is just the Foxwell?

In the end I wanted to atleast figure out if the HPFP is really toast and I am coming to the conclusion it is fine. The delaer "says" that they replaced the Filter, Pump, and controller so I find it hard to believe that the news ones are doing the same thing.

I am looking for suggestions at this point in time as I think my next steps are to get a new filter again and cut the old one to inspect.

The diagram on the fuel tank is crazy the amount of stuff in it because they had to basically make 2 reservoirs in it.

On top of all of the above, he has a leak in the EGR cooler right befrore the flange to the intake, A bad heater in the Def Tank and the Proximity key function is not working.

I have owned 2 X5 35D's in the past and also many other diesel vehicles. (Including a current RAM EcoDiesel). I am also very technically and mechanically savy. I made no assumptions I would fix it but it has now sparked my curioisty.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MacTapatalk; 03-29-2019 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    For all the diesels we worked on which were Just a handful we have never replace fuel pumps we have done glow plugs and controllers , thermostat becise the car would not go into regen and the usual carbon build up in the head and intake manifold. There was a recall for the egr cooler you would have to have the dealer run your vin number and it would be listed in the vehicle info. Also the def tanks had extended warrantys which would also show up on the vehicle report if you had it. You might find more info on newtis online it's a boot leg version of factory BMW tech system. The diesels are certainly more complicated because of all the things they need to pass emissions. Supposedly Mercedes is going to stop bringing diesels in to the u.s.

My Cars
    2010 BMW x5 35d
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTapatalk View Post
    Long story short....A family member has 2011 X5 35D with 128k KMS on it and was traveling to Florida when the CEL came on. Shortly after it went into limp mode they had it towed to the nearest dealer. It took 2 days for them to tell them the fuel pump was bad and that it needed to be replaced. When that didn't fix it, they replaced the fuel pump controller. When that didn't fix it, they said the HPFP failed and they needed to replace the whole fuel system. Gave a quote for 17k USD. We went the insurance route but was denied because the fuel came back testing clean. We had it transported to the border where I picked it up as they continued on to Florida for 5 months.

The weather here was crap for so long the truck has sat in my driveway, but recently I fired it up to see if I can figure out what is wrong.

I have a FoxWell device with the full BMW support, so I hooked it up and cleared all of the codes and when for a drive. So far no limp mode but I do have a 4BDA code with no other symptoms. Some things I notice:

1.. The Expected Rail Pressure and Actual have no real variance. They seem to be fine. The truck also performs well under both normal and hard driving.
    2.. The Tank pump only gives me a handfull of parameters but one of them is expected RPM and Actual RPM of the pump. The actual is always just a bit less than half of the expected. (Expected RPM 4400, actual 2700 RPM)
    3.. I have looked for the tank pump pressure but maybe I haven't looked hard enough but it is not in the Fuel Pump controll unit.
    4.. I have found the "Enhanced BMW Diesel Performance Brief: which seems to stat that the pump can operate in 3 modes. On, RPM, or Pressure. It then states that the E70 utilizes Pressure. I don't see the metric but maybe it is just the Foxwell?

In the end I wanted to atleast figure out if the HPFP is really toast and I am coming to the conclusion it is fine. The delaer "says" that they replaced the Filter, Pump, and controller so I find it hard to believe that the news ones are doing the same thing.

I am looking for suggestions at this point in time as I think my next steps are to get a new filter again and cut the old one to inspect.

The diagram on the fuel tank is crazy the amount of stuff in it because they had to basically make 2 reservoirs in it.

On top of all of the above, he has a leak in the EGR cooler right befrore the flange to the intake, A bad heater in the Def Tank and the Proximity key function is not working.

I have owned 2 X5 35D's in the past and also many other diesel vehicles. (Including a current RAM EcoDiesel). I am also very technically and mechanically savy. I made no assumptions I would fix it but it has now sparked my curioisty.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Hi! I know this happened a long time ago but the same thing just happened to my 2010 X5 35D. Dealer said 15k to fix failed hpfp, I replaced that, still having the same issue. Looking to replace lpfp, already replaced filter... Wondering where you came out with yours?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would never own a diesel and if it did it would not be built by bmw