Thread: E32 Soft close doors

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7

E32 Soft close doors

Hi everybody,

Been reading through a BMW E32 750il manual online and saw that it refers to soft close doors on an e32.

Do E32 750il Highline have soft close doors?

I know that some of them had the soft close boot.

But was wondering whether they actually made any with the soft close doors?

I have also posted a link to the page on the owners manual...
    http://750il.bmw7.hu/owners_manual/framed.html

Its on pg 8. (Power-driven closing system)

Hopefully some expert can clarify... Like Shogun
    Thanks.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    as the manual says: in preparation. We discussed that in length on the German forum and someone in fact found some of these mysterious softclose parts in a wrecked car (I know that person and where he works and lives in Bavaria, so I assume it is from an old BMW test car, which was scrapped then later) http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthr...ight=softclose
    But no one has it actually installed. Looks like they gave up due to safety reasons, although design was there, videos, manual, parts

Reason: Gescheitert ist es daran dass der Spalt in der ersten Verrastung (in der die SCA anzieht) so groß gewesen ist dass man da einen Finger zwischen die Bleche stecken kann.Wenn dann die SCA anzieht ist der Finger ab. Deswegen kam die auch nicht.
    = It failed because the gap in the first close/lock position (in which the SCA = soft close automatic catches) was too large, so that one can put a finger in the space between the B-pillar and door. If then the SCA closes the door completely, a finger could be cut off. That's why the SCA never became available. Safety reasons.

see also from 3.30 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82u6hXcXPg

A German brochure printed in 1991 mentions: soft close for trunk lid and doors are estimated to be available from I.Quarter 1992...

But actually not. I disassembled last year a 11/93 750iL and the rear fuse box cover even had a sticker for fuses 56,57 Automatic "Soft-close" system ! The VIN was WBAGC81000DC60202 , but actually the fuses were not there. Print number of the sticker 8 356 448 E4941 D
    Last edited by shogun; 03-28-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Oh, ok
    I obviously didn’t know about it...
    So safety was the issue here...
    Shows that safety was paramount for BMW they really considered everything.
    As always, your knowledge, Shogun, is always appreciated.
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-29-2019 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 750il.
    That's really interesting. I wonder when the first person will DIY the system with amp monitor, to cut off the motor power, if someone has a finger caught? A resistance monitor circuit? Could maybe even use a weak motor that couldn't create enough power to harm a finger but can close the door? Interesting.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    I though the E32 one-touch window operation had a safety feature for obstructions when closing. Or the moonroof. No? I honestly forget, but if so then I don't buy the safety reason for the soft close doors because they could have easily integrated the feature as Narly mentioned.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The windows have end position switches, also no safety features. The German info says: as the switching points of the windows can have tolerances, all windows are switched off with a delay of 1 second.
    The newest version GM has the one touch function, but all windows one touch down, only driver window one touch up. That is why many bought my module for all windows one touch up and one touch down. NLA now.
    The sunroof has 2 microswitches for the position , see section 11 http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm
    Last edited by shogun; 03-30-2019 at 08:50 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Has anyone also contacted BMW to clarify about the soft close doors?
    Thanks.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Nothing to clarify anymore, the softclose was never realized in the end for the E32, and for this old model they will not make any upgrades anymore.
    As far as I know, even the E38 did not have softclose for the doors.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Yes, the E38 did not have soft close doors either. I was wondering what the official reason was from BMW.
    Anyway, thank you, Shogun.

My Cars
    1991 320i M-Tech II
    Shogun, thanks for that info. I was also curious about the subject.

My 1992 Mercedes 600SEL had soft close doors on all 4 doors, as well as soft-close boot. I always wondered why BMW didn't try to rival the technological features of the new W140. The V12 W140's were really ahead of the time, made the E32 750 seem almost archaic by comparison (not hating, just my experiences having owned both cars).
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7l...rJvxZHr_00nuhA

Current cars: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E, 1991 BMW 320i M-Tech II, 1991 Mitsubish Galant AMG Type II, 1992 Nissan Figaro, 1993 Toyota Chaser Tourer V

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Quote Originally Posted by E34 5er View Post
    Shogun, thanks for that info. I was also curious about the subject.

My 1992 Mercedes 600SEL had soft close doors on all 4 doors, as well as soft-close boot. I always wondered why BMW didn't try to rival the technological features of the new W140. The V12 W140's were really ahead of the time, made the E32 750 seem almost archaic by comparison (not hating, just my experiences having owned both cars).
    Well. That's not a fair point. The E32 was certainly not archaic.
    I don't hate either car, in fact I personally love all of these cars...

The BMW E32 was made to rival the Mercedes W126 model. The E32 was extremely technologically sophisticated and was far ahead of its time when it was introduced in 1986. The W140 was introduced in late 1991.
    So, obviously Mercedes could look at the E32 copying the design and innovate further...

Even the designer of the Mercedes W140, Bruno Sacco said that the design of the W140 was made to rival the E32 7 series and to a lesser extent, the Jaguar XJ40...
    The BMW E32 750il from 1987 rivalled the Mercedes W126 500SEL and the 560SEL. It made an incredible 300 bhp for its time, to put into comparison, this was more than the Bentley Turbo R from the time, which featured a 6.75 litre V8 with a turbocharger!
    Mercedes did not even have a V12 at the time, they had V8s for the 500SEL and the 560SEL
    If you are interested look at the TopGear episode from 1986 about the then-new E32...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djtoxDGh69c
    Also see a video sent probably to dealers from 1986 explaining the technological wizardly debuting on the E32...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWAeNjip6aM

I will post later about the technological innovations introduced by the E32.

But an advertisement from 1986 stated that the E32 was the quietest luxury car at the time with a noise level of 64 db at 70 mph. (An impressive feat!)
    UK ad from 1986:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH4h8h7zCrA

The BMW E32 was a technological marvel for its time, without it the Mercedes W140 would not even exist...

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Here are some of the innovations that made its debut in the BMW E32:

World's first car with parking sensors (PDC) in late 1988. (Mercedes followed suit in 1995 with Parktronic, before that even the W140 featured two rods at the rear which popped up to assist the driver in parking in 1991)

First car to feature a traction control system called ASC in 1986, to put that into comparison, Mercedes introduced their system called ASR in 1991 with their last of the line W126 models.

First car to feature a system which increased pressure on the wipers in 1986, preventing the wipers from lifting up at high speeds via a separate electric motor.

Also featured heated elements on the windscreen so that wipers would not freeze to the windshield at low temperatures, switched on automatically when defrost button was pressed.

Heated wiper washer nozzles which switched on automatically at low temperatures via temperature sensor in onboard computer.

First car with servotronic (Electro-hydraulic power steering which varied assistance, increasing it at low speed and decreasing it at low speed).

First car to feature an onboard computer linked to Check Control which showed various safety issues and problems through a display on the instrument cluster, such as faulty brake lights and headlamps via the text display.

World's first car to feature an adaptive suspension called EDC in 1986, which varied damping based on driver input and road surface, also as you may know, the damper rates could be manually set to a comfort (K) or sport setting (S), for comfortable or sporty driving. (Mercedes did the same with ADS in 1991 with their W140 models).

First car to have a keyless entry keyfob with an alarm system in 1986 (infrared) with the ability to open or close all of the windows or sunroof via the driver's doorlock or the keyfob, this became available on the W140 in 1991 as advertised by Mercedes at the time.

First car with anti-trap windows and sunroof with one-touch open or close in 1986.

Fully electric front driver and passenger electric memory seats with power lumbar support.
    The memory feature stored the headrests position and exterior mirrors in addition to the seating configuration.
    The exterior mirrors were also heated automatically via onboard computer.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    It's pretty clear, BMW likes to make electronics (some could be called gimmicks), Mercedes likes engineering tech (air bags, ABS). They are very different cars. Until I sold my 560SEL (W126), I had it alongside my 750iL (E32). The Mercedes was better built, hands down. No compassion at all. The E32 was nearly decade newer in build with tons of modern tech (computers), but also not a terribly well built/designed machine compared to the Benz. The Benz was opulent overkill while the BMW was engineering in the true sense - to use the fewest materials to get the job done. Depending on your likes, you went one way or the other. You want a quiet smooth ride wrapped in thick metal, Benz. You want fancy buttons to press, you went BMW.

When it comes to firsts, those that ship first does not mean superior. There are years, sometimes a decade of research into concepts that turn into products. And sometimes firsts are slam dunks, sometimes one company releases a fist but another company comes along and see all the flaws and produces a second, better version. The E32 traction control was built upon the Benz tach of ABS.. so that is that too. There is a lot of back and forth like that, even today. Mercedes is often slow to market because they develop, research and try to make the first version perfect - but that can be a failing because other companies can beat them to the punch, even if its not perfect they get the credit for being first.

By the way, comparing an E32 to W126 as a rival is pretty odd. The e32 came out in 1986, the W126 in 1979. Thats a seven year gap, so the w126 was already well-aged old designs. The only way they rivaled was market share, not engineering at that point. Especially when considering the W126 started development in 1973! The e32 started in 1979 - a 6 year gap. So again comparing them is a bit odd. I think comparing the W140 to the E38 may be slightly more fair since release years are closer. But still, they are not the same car and not meant to be.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    It's pretty clear, BMW likes to make electronics (some could be called gimmicks), Mercedes likes engineering tech (air bags, ABS). They are very different cars. Until I sold my 560SEL (W126), I had it alongside my 750iL (E32). The Mercedes was better built, hands down. No compassion at all. The E32 was nearly decade newer in build with tons of modern tech (computers), but also not a terribly well built/designed machine compared to the Benz. The Benz was opulent overkill while the BMW was engineering in the true sense - to use the fewest materials to get the job done. Depending on your likes, you went one way or the other. You want a quiet smooth ride wrapped in thick metal, Benz. You want fancy buttons to press, you went BMW.

When it comes to firsts, those that ship first does not mean superior. There are years, sometimes a decade of research into concepts that turn into products. And sometimes firsts are slam dunks, sometimes one company releases a fist but another company comes along and see all the flaws and produces a second, better version. The E32 traction control was built upon the Benz tach of ABS.. so that is that too. There is a lot of back and forth like that, even today. Mercedes is often slow to market because they develop, research and try to make the first version perfect - but that can be a failing because other companies can beat them to the punch, even if its not perfect they get the credit for being first.

By the way, comparing an E32 to W126 as a rival is pretty odd. The e32 came out in 1986, the W126 in 1979. Thats a seven year gap, so the w126 was already well-aged old designs. The only way they rivaled was market share, not engineering at that point. Especially when considering the W126 started development in 1973! The e32 started in 1979 - a 6 year gap. So again comparing them is a bit odd. I think comparing the W140 to the E38 may be slightly more fair since release years are closer. But still, they are not the same car and not meant to be.
    I totally disagree with you.
    Every car has its faults. Even the W126 and the W140...
    Mercedes have built plenty of unnecessary gimmicks over the years, such as the biodegradable wiring harness of the W140 and the electric interior mirror.
    The W126 and the W140 have plenty of electronics in them, plenty of issues in them...
    I can recall that even Bruno Sacco said that the door handles in the W126 can break.
    The E32 is an extremely well built car, hands down, in fact just as the W126 and the W140, they put in everything they could to make a tank which lasts, while, being technologically advanced, with years of researching spending over 700 million pounds at the time...
    This is the reason why they put in 2 DME units for each bank of the engine, so that in the unlikely event of a problem the car would still be able to be driven...
    Mercedes copied them by doing the same thing in the W140.
    Obviously, maintenance costs are high for a luxury car, these cost almost 75,000 pounds at the time...
    By the way, the W140 came out in 1991, with development starting in 1985, so I believe that it is totally fair to compare the E32 to the W126. Mercedes even delayed development of the W140 as they did not have a V12 at the time.
    Furthermore, I know that the W140 soft close system is quite problematic, with even the original owner complaining about the build quality of it. This probably explains why BMW decided to spend almost another decade perfecting the soft close mechanism, instead of using a hydraulic one, like Mercedes.
    ABS made it's debut in both BMW 7 series models and Mercedes S class models in 1978! So they both can claim credit to ABS...
    ASC was a class-leading system, hence why Mercedes followed suit in 1991 with their version...
    Remember that these cars are over 30 years old now, which is a very long time for a car, they will obviously have problems over time as things corrode and break from wear and tear...
    They certainly are EQUAL in build quality and luxury.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    So.. you have owned both like me? Because I have first hand experience.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    No. I have not owned an E32, but I have an E38, at the moment. I will certainly buy an E32 750il one day...
    I have had ZERO problems.
    But, I know of people who have owned E32 750ils who have done more than 300,000 miles and said that they are wonderful cars. I also know of people who have owned W126s, who say the same thing. However, both say that none of these cars are without their problems...

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    So I rest my case, you dont know what you are talking about. Having not owned both the w126 and E32 you just going off what you have read. And I never said either it without problems, but the simple fast is the Benz is better built. And if you had both, you would understand. But your prejudice is getting in the way of your facts.

Well, have fun with whatever you get.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    This is most likely my last post in this discussion as I am fed up at the moment.
    I am certainly not prejudiced, in fact it seems that you are a big Mercedes fan who probably dislikes BMWs...
    I have researched my facts and know plenty of people who have owned numerous E32s. I also know many people who have owned plenty of W126s and say that both the E32, E38, W126 and the W140 are great cars. I do not hate either BMW or Mercedes, and I would also love to own a Mercedes W126. I certainly do know what I am talking about and I know that BMW build quality is equal to Mercedes build quality.
    Perhaps, your car was not maintained properly and abused by the previous owners...
    Any car would become a money pit is this happens...
    Anyway, at the end of the day, I hope you sell your E32 (if you are selling it) and get what you enjoy such as a Mercedes or whatever you may prefer and have fun with it.

My Cars
    1991 320i M-Tech II
    ^ Hi Mayura,I appreciate your passion for BMW. I read through all your posts, I already knew everything there and have watched those videos previously, but it was nice to see again.I am going to have to say you are getting upset for no real reason. I am going to have to side with Unity here, however. I will say this, from my own personal experience. I have owned the following:W126- 1988 300SE, 1991 560SEL. W140- 1992 600SELE32- 1991 750iL, 1994 740iLE38- 2001 740iAll of my cars were purchased from the original owners, and were very clean and well maintained examples. The build quality in the Mercedes' were far superior to those of the BMW's, and that's not an insult to the BMW as they were relatively very well built cars. But nothing can compare to the tank-like build quality of the W126. With my W140, yes, you are correct that Mercedes used a lousy bio-degradable wiring harness. But all the current W140's still on the road have had (almost guaranteed) their harness replaced. The M120 V12 in the Benz is the smoothest engine I have had the pleasure of owning. The M70 in the BMW is also a great engine, but I don't feel quite as good as the M120- and we're not talking about the S70 here, just what was put in the actual 7-series and S-class. That being said, I prefer the driving dynamics of the BMW's more. I also prefer the design of the BMW's more. The Benz's have way better interior and build quality, as for reliability I'd say I haven't really had any problem from any of the cars (aside from the E38 which had several serious issues both mechanical and electrical). I feel like the early W140 600 Mercedes set out to build the best car in the world, and with a $1 billion+ production budget they really succeeded. It was a HUGE jump from the W126 in terms of technology and engineering feats, and that is obvious as the W126 was first introduced in 1979. What's interesting in my experience, is this: My W126 was bought by the original owners in February 1992 (a 1991 model year) while my W140 was bought in late 1991 (1992 model year) for $150k ($260k+ in today's money) but it was such a crazy leap to drive the W140 from the W126. The E32 is a tremendous vehicle, but it definitely falls somewhere in the middle between the 126 and 140 in terms of technological and engineering features/advancement. And the build quality, while great, is not quite at the level of the Mercedes'. And just to reiterate, I did enjoy driving my E32's more than the Mercedes' vehicles. This is my unbiased opinion, having owned all these cars and loving BMW and Mercedes equally.Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by E34 5er; 04-07-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Current cars: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E, 1991 BMW 320i M-Tech II, 1991 Mitsubish Galant AMG Type II, 1992 Nissan Figaro, 1993 Toyota Chaser Tourer V

My Cars
    1991 320i M-Tech II
    ^Hi Mayura,I appreciate your passion for BMW. I read through all your posts, I already knew everything there and have watched those videos previously, but it was nice to see again.I am going to have to say you are getting upset for no real reason. I am going to have to side with Unity here, however. I will say this, from my own personal experience. I have owned the following:

W126- 1988 300SE, 1991 560SEL.
    W140- 1992 600SEL
    E32- 1991 750iL, 1994 740iL
    E38- 2001 740i

All of my cars were purchased from the original owners, and were very clean and well maintained examples. The build quality in the Mercedes' were far superior to those of the BMW's, and that's not an insult to the BMW as they were relatively very well built cars. But nothing can compare to the tank-like build quality of the W126. With my W140, yes, you are correct that Mercedes used a lousy bio-degradable wiring harness. But all the current W140's still on the road have had (almost guaranteed) their harness replaced. The M120 V12 in the Benz is the smoothest engine I have had the pleasure of owning. The M70 in the BMW is also a great engine, but I don't feel quite as good as the M120- and we're not talking about the S70 here, just what was put in the actual 7-series and S-class.

That being said, I prefer the driving dynamics of the BMW's more. I also prefer the design of the BMW's more. The Benz's have way better interior and build quality, as for reliability I'd say I haven't really had any problem from any of the cars (aside from the E38 which had several serious issues both mechanical and electrical). I feel like the early W140 600 Mercedes set out to build the best car in the world, and with a $1 billion+ production budget they really succeeded. It was a HUGE jump from the W126 in terms of technology and engineering feats, and that is obvious as the W126 was first introduced in 1979.

What's interesting in my experience, is this: My W126 was bought by the original owners in February 1992 (a 1991 model year) while my W140 was bought in late 1991 (1992 model year) for $150k ($260k+ in today's money) but it was such a crazy leap to drive the W140 from the W126. The E32 is a tremendous vehicle, but it definitely falls somewhere in the middle between the 126 and 140 in terms of technological and engineering features/advancement. And the build quality, while great, is not quite at the level of the Mercedes'. And just to reiterate, I did enjoy driving my E32's more than the Mercedes' vehicles. This is my unbiased opinion, having owned all these cars and loving BMW and Mercedes equally.
    Last edited by E34 5er; 04-08-2019 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Quote Originally Posted by E34 5er View Post
    EDIT: I don't know why my post keeps showing up as one big blob! I took the time to properly space out everything and have multiple paragraphs! What is going on with Bimmerforums??^ Hi Mayura,I appreciate your passion for BMW. I read through all your posts, I already knew everything there and have watched those videos previously, but it was nice to see again.I am going to have to say you are getting upset for no real reason. I am going to have to side with Unity here, however. I will say this, from my own personal experience. I have owned the following:W126- 1988 300SE, 1991 560SEL. W140- 1992 600SELE32- 1991 750iL, 1994 740iLE38- 2001 740iAll of my cars were purchased from the original owners, and were very clean and well maintained examples. The build quality in the Mercedes' were far superior to those of the BMW's, and that's not an insult to the BMW as they were relatively very well built cars. But nothing can compare to the tank-like build quality of the W126. With my W140, yes, you are correct that Mercedes used a lousy bio-degradable wiring harness. But all the current W140's still on the road have had (almost guaranteed) their harness replaced. The M120 V12 in the Benz is the smoothest engine I have had the pleasure of owning. The M70 in the BMW is also a great engine, but I don't feel quite as good as the M120- and we're not talking about the S70 here, just what was put in the actual 7-series and S-class. That being said, I prefer the driving dynamics of the BMW's more. I also prefer the design of the BMW's more. The Benz's have way better interior and build quality, as for reliability I'd say I haven't really had any problem from any of the cars (aside from the E38 which had several serious issues both mechanical and electrical). I feel like the early W140 600 Mercedes set out to build the best car in the world, and with a $1 billion+ production budget they really succeeded. It was a HUGE jump from the W126 in terms of technology and engineering feats, and that is obvious as the W126 was first introduced in 1979. What's interesting in my experience, is this: My W126 was bought by the original owners in February 1992 (a 1991 model year) while my W140 was bought in late 1991 (1992 model year) for $150k ($260k+ in today's money) but it was such a crazy leap to drive the W140 from the W126. The E32 is a tremendous vehicle, but it definitely falls somewhere in the middle between the 126 and 140 in terms of technological and engineering features/advancement. And the build quality, while great, is not quite at the level of the Mercedes'. And just to reiterate, I did enjoy driving my E32's more than the Mercedes' vehicles. This is my unbiased opinion, having owned all these cars and loving BMW and Mercedes equally.
    Hi E34 5er,
    No, I am not upset by anyone's comments, However, it seemed that unity was annoyed by my comments...
    But, I disagree with the build quality issues. I have an E38 and have not had any issues...
    I am not biased towards any brand, as previously stated I do not hate any brand...
    I was trying to say that I feel that BMW built the best car in the world with the E32 750il in 1987 with a budget of 700 million pounds, and was trying to outline several innovations that made its debut with the E32 off the top of my head.
    It's obviously incomplete and BMW did make many more innovations.
    In my opinion, I believe they really succeeded. (Not saying that the W140 is a bad car, it was also a tremendous achievement to Mercedes).
    I think that the E32 was a HUGE leap from the W126 model and the E23 model from BMW, taking into consideration: the safety, luxury, engineering and technology.
    To reiterate, I believe that without the E32, there would certainly be no W140, as it was developed after the E32. Without W140, there would be no E38.
    I would love to own a W126 and a W140, considering the fact that I love Mercedes and BMW.
    This is my unbiased opinion and I hope you enjoyed reading my post and watching the videos.

My Cars
    1991 320i M-Tech II
    Thanks for clearing that up. I think you should definitely own all those cars in question before you make your final judgments. I love all of them for different reasons, and none are perfect. Unlike something like the 5-series and E-Class, which are almost always in line in terms of each generation's model year life spans- the 7-series and S-Class are usually offset by a few years each gen, so it is obvious each company looks at what came before it and will try to innovate from there.

For me, though, the last true 7-series was the E38 and the last true S-Class was the W140. After that I think both companies started to make some concessions, and while the tech definitely improved, I don't think the overall final product was on par with what came before it.

I hope you are one day able to own an E32, W126, and W140. Make sure you try to get the 5.6L V8 in the 126 and the V12 with the 140 as those were the real flagships at the time and the level of quality Mercedes put up there was really astounding.

My Cars
    BMW E38 750iL L7
    Sorry for the late reply. Although we may disagree about the quality, thank you for your understanding and I hope you have fun with your projects...

- - - Updated - - -

I have been very busy lately...