Thread: Clutch Problem - Can't depress - Please Help

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Clutch Problem - Can't depress - Please Help

1999 Z3 Roadster 2.8. I just did a 2.8 to 2.8 engine swap. Put old dual mass flywheel on new engine as the new engine was with automatic trans. Installed new crank bearing and clutch kit. Put everything back together and engine works great. Only problem was clutch pedal would not push down. I figured a cheap fix/elimination was to install a new slave cylinder. Clutch pedal went to floor very easy as there was air in the hydraulics (eliminate any pedal/linkage issues). After bleeding line the clutch pedal did the same thing as before. Will not push down. When I bought the slave cylinder the guy at the parts counter said it doesn't sound like slave cylinder. Sounds like you put the disc plate in backwards. My response was I don't think I'm that stupid to do that. He said it happens, so yesterday I tore it all apart again and everything looked great (can't put disc plate backwards because flywheel bolts would hit disc plate). New throw out bearing installed correctly (can't really screw that up either - really only one wat to install that). I compared old clutch parts with new. Identical. I'm at a loss. I don't want to just put back together as I'm working from the floor and it's a lot of work. Please help. Thanks.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I suppose the pressure plate could have frozen up? I've seen this on MINI Coopers, and in turn the clutch fork breaks. Never seen it on a bimmer though.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Isn’t there a locking feature on our pressure plates that has to be addressed if removing/reusing pressure plates ?

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert
    That is on a new installation. There is a metal part that holds everything in place but I don't think you can put the trans in place with it there.

You can eliminate everything from the pedal to the slave if you take the slave off and hold the slave compressed with wire and some sort of holder on the tip of the rod. Then have a friend press a little on the clutch pedal. If it really tightens up the wires holding the rod then it is internal.
    I think if the pressure plate is of the type that has the lock (the self adjusting type) and that is removed prior to being bolted into place, then that could screw you over like this. Not 100% sure but check it out.
    Last edited by catimann; 03-26-2019 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8 Roadster

Response

Thanks for your posts,

I had removed the bracket that holds down the spring arms on the pressure plate prior to installation.

Like I said previous, the new throw out bearing and arm with spring holder is in place and moves freely. Only one way to install it from what I can see.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert
    In the past I looked up if it was possible to reinstall that bracket and found some youtube videos about getting it back to what you started with. It is possible.
    Last edited by catimann; 03-27-2019 at 04:10 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent S. View Post
    Thanks for your posts,

I had removed the bracket that holds down the spring arms on the pressure plate prior to installation.

Like I said previous, the new throw out bearing and arm with spring holder is in place and moves freely. Only one way to install it from what I can see.
    You're not supposed to remove that lock until the pressure plate is bolted onto the flywheel.

IF YOU DID remove it, and after successive removals, it has to be set back to "zero" position. The tool is simple enough; it compresses the springs, and then you rotate a lever/ring back to said zero.

See here:

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The problem with resetting the p-plate is you first must find the floating wedges that shoot out. No load on the plate means nothing to stop the wedges from seeking the far corners of the shop when released.

/.randy

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    A photo may help. It shows the wear gauge (little spring on the finger). This is a worn clutch with the plastic tab by the marker. A new clutch will have the spring compressed and the plastic tab hard up on the left hand side. If the wear gauge on your clutch disk looks like the photo, then you need to have it reset and the spider refitted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.