Thread: Spal electric fan + spal thermostat = just won't work?

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring

Spal electric fan + spal thermostat = just won't work?

The setup:

the fan shroud plus expansion tank from this zionsville kit
    http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...g-kit-1999-03/

this relay harness with a temp sensor (comes with the above kit)
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-195fh

this pusher fan (comes with the above kit as well)
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102049

Auto Meter 2283 Radiator Hose Temperature Adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so, i have the grey wire connected to the end of the temp sensor, and all the power/ground wires for the relay hooked up fine. if i just attach the grey wire to ground, the fan will run all the time, which is how I've had this set up for a while, procrastinating on setting up the true temp sensor thing.
    so i got the auto meter 2283, placed it inline of the lower rad hose, right above the aux fan temp sensor, took some effort to make the damn thing seal properly, teflon tape didn't work, eventually used a ton of blue RTV and it seems to be holding up now even through one (long) drive cycle getting up to 210F

aftermarket temp sensor 6.jpg

initial tests (bringing up to 200F on torque) showed it not working, but i forgot to ground out the hose adapter piece itself, so i grounded that to one of the ground points on the passenger side. Even then though, the big fan won't kick on, even at 210 degrees F

aftermarket temp sensor 7.jpg
    aftermarket temp sensor 8.jpg

This is verifying continuity from the sensor body all the way to the ground point on the chassis, so it's a good ground and the sensor is getting ground

i did notice though, the resistance of the temp sensor is variable but not that much. at low temps its like 17 ohms, at 200F its like 10 ohms, so i wonder if this sensor is trying to switch to a grounded state at the temperature cutoff but can't, maybe it's a busted sensor?

aftermarket temp sensor 9.jpg

the zionsville instructions use this wiring diagramhttp://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/a...tic-single.pdf but theirs seems to use slightly different relay(s)?

so uh, kinda stuck. what do now?
    Did i literally wire this up wrong in that the grey wire shouldn't be connected there? If so, how else is it supposed to be wired?
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    What is your fan switch rated for? Sounds like it may be faulty.

Edit: I see the switch is supposed to turn on at 195F (too high to begin with IMO), if you're going up to 210 it seems like it's a bad switch. If you want to test to confirm you can put the switch in a pot of water and bring it to a boil.

I have a Setrab 180F switch in my car, nearly the same location as yours, and it does a pretty good job keeping KTMP under 95C.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 03-26-2019 at 04:14 PM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    i did notice though, the resistance of the temp sensor is variable but not that much. at low temps its like 17 ohms, at 200F its like 10 ohms, so i wonder if this sensor is trying to switch to a grounded state at the temperature cutoff but can't, maybe it's a busted sensor?

so uh, kinda stuck. what do now?
    Did i literally wire this up wrong in that the grey wire shouldn't be connected there? If so, how else is it supposed to be wired?
    Your using that sensor (Autometer?) to control the relay?
    The sensor need to switch from infinity to a short when it reaches the temp the switch is set at.
    Like MM93 said you need a lower temp switch.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    that seems to be how it should be working? going by the description of the spal 195FH kit on summit, that once it hits 195f it should switch over, but it isn't.
    maybe it isn't inserted far enough into the coolant stream? but that shouldn't matter
    i've sent an email to Spal to get more info*

my concern is i just missed something in the wiring
    Last edited by joekitch; 03-26-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)