Thread: LCM III malfunctions / wiper question

My Cars
    01 540/6

LCM III malfunctions / wiper question

Hey Guys, so i'm starting a new thread ,as my last thread doesn't really pertain to this new issue. last issue was resolved by replacing the DME ....thanks to all!!... so now I'm on to next issue.

The LCM has had water intrusion as evidenced by the crusty deposits on the pins. so I will be sourcing a repair/replacement. Can i set a used/ repaired lcm, to run in my car's vin thru INPA?...

Also dealing with non functioning wipers, I dont see where I can read the wiper switch in INPA/ I spent a while going thru sub-menus but never saw anything that tests wiper switch. going to pick and pull this weekend to look at a e39 to pick up some goodies ( I hope)
    lcm 2.jpg lcm.jpglcm.jpg

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    If your car has a sunroof - check the RHF drain is not blocked or has come off the sunroof housing and is leaking internally.
    Any LCM can be fitted as long as it’s the same or higher (IIIA, IIIB, IV etc) - E53 X5 ones are the same and work well.
    You will need PA Soft or the cheap Chinese knockoff Scanner 1.4.0 to correct the mileage.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    is the corrosion internal to the LKM or just on the pins? pins can be cleaned. hows the mating connector? if the LKM does need replacement, as rosie39 stated, a replacement is easy enough to get, and googling reprogram LKM with PASOFT will get you a walk thru for it.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    The wipers are controlled by the GMIII - it’s more likely the relay(s) that live in the bottom of the E-box under the DME or the wiper motor itself.

My Cars
    01 540/6
    Thanks guys, I will look at the wiper motor and relay. as for the LCM ... it is , well as GG says "borked".... corrosion on PCB traces and chips... so its gonna be a replacement and programming..... i guess i need to learn PAsoft...... well i just learned INPA, so whats 1 more computer program..... I will google what is needed and proceed.

LCM corrosion on PCB.jpg

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    That circuit board can be cleaned. Use Electroclean and a soft bristle brush. I've saved lightly corroded circuit boards just like yours several times using that procedure.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    01 540/6
    I've saved lightly corroded circuit boards just like yours several times using that procedure.

well that's encouraging.... i will give it a try

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    When I say "soft brush", I don't mean super soft like a long bristle brush. I mean something like a tooth brush (very lightly) or a small paint brush with the bristles cut short. Keep it wet with the electroclean and rinse the board off with it often. It should only take you a minute or so to clean it.
    If after cleaning you see any circuit traces that are damaged or a crack in the solder, they can be repaired by either reflowing the solder or adding just a dab of new solder. Make sure you use a flux pen or flux paste just before adding or reflowing solder.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Rinse with alcohol or a similar solvent to clean boards with, it will evaporate fairly quickly.
    I save all my old tooth brushes for cleaning jobs like this.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Rinse with alcohol or a similar solvent to clean boards with, it will evaporate fairly quickly.
    I save all my old tooth brushes for cleaning jobs like this.
    You're not the only one, LOL!

My Cars
    01 540/6
    UPDATE..... so on the suggestions, I cleaned the LCM's circuit board, pins and connector plugs... I'm happy to report that I have success. all lights are functioning ( well at least the ones that aren't burnt out)

So I need to replace the 3rd brake light bulb and a license plate bulb, and I'm 1 step closer!!

Thanks to all on the forum. Very much appreciated!!

My Cars
    1999 5281
    muy bueno..another happy ending to another step