Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest in a fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution?

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
    Which side of the 54 pin is NLA? The male or female side? I know I was able to get a female one last year when I made the DB25-54pin adapter for my TCU.
    I think you mean the male, as that's what the harness end of the connector is

The female is what goes on the module, and that's what is NLA

If BMW NLAs the male end, TE Connectivity still sells it (and the inserts). I bought a spare set when I was figuring out which connectors where what, as BMW has their own special part numbers for each connector.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Yeah, I was thinking male and female by the pins, not by the connector shell. So yes, the harness end is the one I got.

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    FWIW, Ryan's E39Source channel on YouTube has a nice review of the BlueBus ("The Ultimate BMW Bluetooth Solution: BlueBus"). Apparently he is one of the beta testers. I liked his example of activating Siri on his iPhone from the steering wheel.

Based on his comments, I am more comfortable with giving up the SES in my car if that means an easier connection to the BlueBus device; though it would be cool if BlueBus eventually could replace that functionality too :-)

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    though it would be cool if BlueBus eventually could replace that functionality too :-)
    Ryan was indeed one of my first beta testers. He has had a unit since 2019-04-04.

Duplicating the SES functionality would be no small ask! If there are any specifics you'd like, maybe they could be addressed in another fashion

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    Duplicating the SES functionality would be no small ask! If there are any specifics you'd like, maybe they could be addressed in another fashion
    I think I am starting to realize that activating Siri for iPhone users or the Google assistant for Android users can replace most of the SES capabilities. I have a Samsung S10 phone. Here are my notes from looking at the Voice Control / SES manual tonight and playing with the Google Assistant:

Telephone capabilities with SES:
    Dial a phone number by number.
    Dial a phone number by name.
    Correct input.
    Cancel dialing.
    Store a name and telephone number.
    Delete a name and telephone number.
    Clear entire phone book.
    Read phone book.

Note capabilities with SES:
    Record a note.
    Listen to a note.
    Delete a note.

GPS Navigation with SES:
    Select map scale mode.
    Informmation on current position
    Information on destination
    Available information types: gas stations, parking lots, hotels or restaurants.
    Switch spoken instructions on/off
    Activate navigation guidance
    Save current position as starting point for navigation.
    Start a new route

Misc commands with SES:
    Adjust volume of speech output up/down
    Call up user help function

With Google Assistant:
    Dial a phone number.
    Record a note.
    Show notes (on phone).
    Able to get information on current location; information shown on phone, not GPS navigation
    Lots, lots more... and Google adds new features and updates current ones periodically.

In summary, removing a SES module and connecting BlueBus in its place is ideal if you don't use the navigation SES commands with the navigation system. If you do use navigation SES commands, then there is some minor loss of functionality for those commands, but the flip side is Google Assistant opens a new world of information that was previously inaccessible via the built in controls of the car.

I think I watched Ryan's video several times today; I can't wait for BlueBus to arrive!

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    I think I am starting to realize that activating Siri for iPhone users or the Google assistant for Android users can replace most of the SES capabilities. I have a Samsung S10 phone. Here are my notes from looking at the Voice Control / SES manual tonight and playing with the Google Assistant:

Telephone capabilities with SES:
    Dial a phone number by number.
    Dial a phone number by name.
    Correct input.
    Cancel dialing.
    Store a name and telephone number.
    Delete a name and telephone number.
    Clear entire phone book.
    Read phone book.

Note capabilities with SES:
    Record a note.
    Listen to a note.
    Delete a note.

GPS Navigation with SES:
    Select map scale mode.
    Informmation on current position
    Information on destination
    Available information types: gas stations, parking lots, hotels or restaurants.
    Switch spoken instructions on/off
    Activate navigation guidance
    Save current position as starting point for navigation.
    Start a new route

Misc commands with SES:
    Adjust volume of speech output up/down
    Call up user help function

With Google Assistant:
    Dial a phone number.
    Record a note.
    Show notes (on phone).
    Able to get information on current location; information shown on phone, not GPS navigation
    Lots, lots more... and Google adds new features and updates current ones periodically.

In summary, removing a SES module and connecting BlueBus in its place is ideal if you don't use the navigation SES commands with the navigation system. If you do use navigation SES commands, then there is some minor loss of functionality for those commands, but the flip side is Google Assistant opens a new world of information that was previously inaccessible via the built in controls of the car.

I think I watched Ryan's video several times today; I can't wait for BlueBus to arrive!
    Thanks for the breakdown! It may be possible to incorporate those Navigation commands if someone were kind enough to loan me an SES unit

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Curious if the IKE display pre cursor hex is the same as an e39

i guess I can get on your repository and look around for it but curious if you knew off hand
    I like to pretend I know stuff

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by zarboz View Post
    Curious if the IKE display pre cursor hex is the same as an e39

i guess I can get on your repository and look around for it but curious if you knew off hand
    The E38 uses the same protocol/message format for writing to the High OBC as the E39, if that's what you're asking

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    Thanks for the breakdown! It may be possible to incorporate those Navigation commands if someone were kind enough to loan me an SES unit

Thanks!
    -Ted
    This is what I was referring to a long time ago on here to you about appreciating the voice commands the E38 offers with absolutely no need to be online anywhere. {PRIVACY}
    I would really like to keep that ability as it was a pretty cool stand alone option.

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Interesting. There is a SES module on Ebay for about $25 (p/n 84-41-4-108-519). I'm half-tempted to buy it and forward it on to you. Would you have time to look at it? Right now I figure you are gearing up for the holidays with the family and any last minute stuff for BlueBus. To dive into the SES module you might have to track down wiring diagrams. The SES device was made by Temic (possibly now part of Continental ??). Alternatively, I suppose you could monitor the signals on the wires going in/out of the device and see what you can figure out.

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    I think I have the see module out already. I'll check. And send it to Ted

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk
    1 E38, 1 E39, 2 E46's, 1 E65, 1 R22, 1 R75/5

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1960 View Post
    ...appreciating the [SES] with absolutely no need to be online anywhere. {PRIVACY}...
    Exactly!

It's creepy when devices listen to conversations...Orwellian. I understand that voice assistants (Siri, OK Google) can be used to access the phone book and place calls. But using the voice features of a TCU/ULF/SES instead provides privacy and security by knowing they're limited to only those functions. Furthermore, they only "listen" when I ask (by pressing the speech button on steering wheel).

I'm struggling with this topic and its place in today's driving environment.

I see two possible routes: 1) Complete dependence on a phone for hands-free calls and music or, 2) Installation and use of dedicated modules for these functions. There should be no question the later approach will provide superior security and privacy, but the former is convenient and familiar.

With the BlueBus offering enticing features, it makes a strong argument for the abandonment of dedicated modules. However, some built-in voice functions could provide a compromise for those with privacy concerns. Perhaps this could be considered for a future firmware revision, or made an option.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Apologies -- I have been too swamped with emails to get back to you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    I think I have the see module out already. I'll check. And send it to Ted

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Exactly!

It's creepy when devices listen to conversations...Orwellian. I understand that voice assistants (Siri, OK Google) can be used to access the phone book and place calls. But using the voice features of a TCU/ULF/SES instead provides privacy and security by knowing they're limited to only those functions. Furthermore, they only "listen" when I ask (by pressing the speech button on steering wheel).

I'm struggling with this topic and its place in today's driving environment.

I see two possible routes: 1) Complete dependence on a phone for hands-free calls and music or, 2) Installation and use of dedicated modules for these functions. There should be no question the later approach will provide superior security and privacy, but the former is convenient and familiar.

With the BlueBus offering enticing features, it makes a strong argument for the abandonment of dedicated modules. However, some built-in voice functions could provide a compromise for those with privacy concerns. Perhaps this could be considered for a future firmware revision, or made an option.
    I dislike the use of voice assistants as well because of all the data they collect -- you wouldn't catch me dead with "Alexa", "Siri" or Assistant. However, I went the way of tossing them aside altogether and just doing things myself.

The BT module that the BlueBus employs is capable of speech recognition, but only to the extent of "Yes" and "No". Sadly, this is a function of its firmware, which I have no access to

I could go as far as allowing you to answer calls without the assistant, but any more speech recognition beyond that is simply not possible.

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan

E38 Voice commands

I'd be happy as long as there were a software revision to disable the Bluebus messing with the stock Voice commands
    If it can be tweeked to be enabled in software then obviously it can be turned back off too....

Brian

Thanks, Bill!

I dislike the use of voice assistants as well because of all the data they collect -- you wouldn't catch me dead with "Alexa", "Siri" or Assistant. However, I went the way of tossing them aside altogether and just doing things myself.

The BT module that the BlueBus employs is capable of speech recognition, but only to the extent of "Yes" and "No". Sadly, this is a function of its firmware, which I have no access to

I could go as far as allowing you to answer calls without the assistant, but any more speech recognition beyond that is simply not possible.[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    I'd be happy as long as there were a software revision to disable the Bluebus messing with the stock Voice commands
    If it can be tweeked to be enabled in software then obviously it can be turned back off too....

Brian
    According to the functional description in TIS, the SES is activated by "Long Pressing" the "Speak" button, correct? If that's it, it's trivial to add an option that will NOT trigger the voice assistant when that action is taken.

What I don't know is if the SES powers the microphone at all, which would definitely make the two modules incompatible, as 12v to the mic will create a much greater amplitude signal than I am expecting.

Let me do some testing with an SES module and see what I can come up with.

-Ted

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    According to the functional description in TIS, the SES is activated by "Long Pressing" the "Speak" button, correct? If that's it, it's trivial to add an option that will NOT trigger the voice assistant when that action is taken.

What I don't know is if the SES powers the microphone at all, which would definitely make the two modules incompatible, as 12v to the mic will create a much greater amplitude signal than I am expecting.

-Ted
    I'm not sure you know what I meant by that so just in case..
    I would just prefer to keep the stock voice commands operating as they always have if possible which requires a "long press" on the speaking guy icon.
    If it can't so be it.
    This wouldn't even be an issue with someone not using the Bluebus for calls if they already had a TCU or ULF and only used the streaming aspect of it right?

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    I'm not sure you know what I meant by that so just in case..
    I would just prefer to keep the stock voice commands operating as they always have if possible which requires a "long press" on the speaking guy icon.
    If it can't so be it.
    This wouldn't even be an issue with someone not using the Bluebus for calls if they already had a TCU or ULF and only used the streaming aspect of it right?
    The SES may cause problems electrically, is what I mean

This would not be able issue for someone not using the BlueBus for calls, correct. If you disable HFP, the stock controls remain the same.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    I would just prefer to keep the stock voice commands operating as they always have if possible...
    The only "stock" voice commands available come from either a TCU, ULF, or SES...any and all of which need to be removed when installing the BlueBus (if I understand correctly). This is because BlueBus plugs into either the SES connector or, for those without SES, the 54-pin/DB25 plug of the TCU/ULF. Therefore, stock voice commands are no longer possible.

Ted: please correct me if that's wrong.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    The only "stock" voice commands available come from either a TCU, ULF, or SES...any and all of which need to be removed when installing the BlueBus (if I understand correctly). This is because BlueBus plugs into either the SES connector or, for those without SES, the 54-pin/DB25 plug of the TCU/ULF. Therefore, stock voice commands are no longer possible.

Ted: please correct me if that's wrong.
    Right! The SES _may_ work, but I need to test it.

All of this is null and void if, as Brian said, you don't hook up the BlueBus to the TCU harness. The BlueBus will work fine on the CD Changer harness alone.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    The BlueBus will work fine on the CD Changer harness alone.
    Wait. What would happen if I left my SES and TCU connected, and then connected BlueBus via the CD changer plugs?

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Wait. What would happen if I left my SES and TCU connected, and then connected BlueBus via the CD changer plugs?
    As long as you disable HFP in the Bluebus, it would operate as a CD Changer emulator only. So, you'd still get the UI, Music and extra goodies, but no telephone functionality.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    The best of both worlds if you are still happy with your TCU/SES setup for the time being anyway.

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan

Voice Commands

-Ted
    https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/...gation-143399/

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I can't wait for these to ship! Any update on shipping?

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillife View Post
    I can't wait for these to ship! Any update on shipping?

So, I got hit with bad news last Thursday -- The Fab house apparently has the PCBs themselves made in Taiwan (news to me), and Chinese New Years is coming up, so I got hit with a 14 day delay:

I spoke with my Account Manager at MacroFab and he said I was pretty much SOL. I'm not sure why they didn't initially account for this -- I'm pretty peeved :thumbsdown:.

In any case, a full refund is available to anyone not wanting to wait. There's unfortunately nothing that can be done about this.

-Ted

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast