Thread: ZF 5HP24 transmission noise questions

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP

ZF 5HP24 transmission noise questions

First, this is not on my rebuilt transmission in the E38, but rather in my wife's E39 with 122k miles. I had the transmission R&R on this for a leaking input shaft seal about 10k ago. It would leave a drop or two a day on the ground. I didn't want to deal with constantly having to check the level, so this was the logical solution.

I chose a shop near me here in Tampa because they claim to be specialized in ZF transmissions and were very reasonable on price. They replaced the rear main, input shaft seal, and tail shaft seal on the transmission while out. They also did fluid change (and I think a filter). They charged me for 12 quarts of fluid, so seemed like a full flush. I asked him if they used ZF fluid and he just said yeah, but who's to know.

Ok, so I don't drive this car often, but I did the other week and noticed a couple things only when the transmission is fully hot:

1. Sometimes either in park or drive (only one not the other), will the transmission make a loud hissing noise. I hear it outside the car or with the door open. I don't hear anything inside. But outside the car it is pretty loud and makes me think, "That doesn't sound right." I first noticed this with the car in drive and the driver's door open. Park was silent, drive was making the loud hiss, fairly close in hiss and pitch to the hissing noise of refrigerant through the expansion valve when the system is low. A constant pssssssss. It was especially obvious because I could shift to park and it went away completely and became silent again. Just yesterday I drove it and heard the hissing again when full hot, but in park this time, not so much in drive. Weird.

2. Just yesterday, I had it on the highway and I swear I heard a very light whine. Only at light throttle cruising at about 80 mph. This was very throttle dependent, barely audible, and not nearly as concerning as the hiss to me.

Brings me to the point...

Is this a fluid issue? (Level / type of fluid)
    A filter issue? (type of filter)
    An install issue? (oil pump cavitating, TC not installed into the pump properly)

There have been no driveability issues. In fact, a few weeks ago, we drove it 3.5 hrs up to Jacksonville hauling ass and it performed great. But that hiss at idle outside the car is crazy loud.
    Last edited by racer2086; 03-26-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Sounds like they didn't use a Filtran filter. Aftermarket filters can restrict to the point of whining.
    Swap it out, LifeGuard 5 for 6-7 liters or so.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    That's what I was wondering. I may take it back to them since I paid them for this job. But if I do it myself I know it's done right.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I just called the shop that did the work. They say that they use OE ZF parts, including the fluid and filter. He asked me to bring it by for them to listen to it, which I will try to do. So before I go tearing it apart myself, I'll see what they say. Maybe the fluid level is off?

Can the torque converter be reinstalled wrong in the oil pump and cause noise?
    Last edited by racer2086; 03-27-2019 at 10:08 AM.

My Cars
    1986 535i, 2012 X5 50i
    My car does whine when starting from a standstill but it goes away after 15 - 20 MPH I ca see the parts rotating iin my head when I hear it! I installed an OEM Filtran filter added a small bottle of Lubegard and used Valvoline MaxLife. It was doing this prior to the service and I thought it was the no name filter it had installed but it slowly came back afterwards. It was down about 2 quarts so it shifts much better now (no more slippage or chirping tires!). I'm not sure what the sounds ie related to though. I might need to record a short video and post it so you guys can hear it.
    Jimmy Moreno
    BMW CCA 115551
    1986 535i, Arctic Blue
    2012 X5 XDrive 501, Sparkling Bronze Metallic

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I spent a couple hours driving to wife's work to pick up her car to take it to the shop. Of course, Friday afternoon is busy for them and they want me to come back so they can put it on the lift.

I took a video of the high-pitched hiss noise and I'll post it. It is very audible in the video.

It's more of a hassle to bring the car to the shop than do the work myself, but I want to know what it is first.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Here is a video clip of what I'm talking about. You can best hear it at 17 seconds and then it is very obvious at 27-28 seconds when I switch from drive back to park. Please ignore the Vanos noise

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Just have the fluid level checked but there is no possible way of knowing what filter and oring the shop used which is why DIY or if you provided the proper zf or filtran filter...

Read the review here about this oring causing air to suck in. Maybe something like this would cause a hissing noise? Or a partially blocked filter?
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...422152#reviews

This is what I would use...
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-o-ring-24341422152

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-24341422673
    Last edited by purplecty; 04-01-2019 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    If the shop wants to check it, let them, and they need to fix what they possibly messed up. It sounds like a fluid thing. And maybe the new seal is not seated correctly, allowing heated air to squel out. Although, I would expect fluid leaks with that issue.

In the N55 in my X5 the PCV valve failure causes squealing from the aft engine seal.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Yes, I agree. I believe this is fluid/filter/o-ring related. The main issue is I don't have much time to devote to taking this to the shop and I surely can't leave it there, because then my wife has nothing to drive. I have to wait until I get the E38 back or take it in on a Friday afternoon.

My biggest concern is will this do damage to the transmission if not addressed immediately? My guess is no, since it's been driving this way for months, but want to know.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Yes, I agree. I believe this is fluid/filter/o-ring related. The main issue is I don't have much time to devote to taking this to the shop and I surely can't leave it there, because then my wife has nothing to drive. I have to wait until I get the E38 back or take it in on a Friday afternoon.

My biggest concern is will this do damage to the transmission if not addressed immediately? My guess is no, since it's been driving this way for months, but want to know.
    Get her a rental! How long can it take the shop to check it?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    No idea. I just don't have an easy way to get it there either. We work all week long and they are closed on the weekend.

To add to it, my parents are driving the E38 with fresh rebuild around and now it's clunking. I told them to bring it back and have them drive it. These transmissions are going to drive me crazy.