Thread: Lifter replacement

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i

Lifter replacement

Hey guys, so I'm in the process of replacing my lifters. Everything is already disassembled and ready for a cleaning, and i have a few questions before I put everything back together. First, is there anything I should avoid cleaning? Anything i should just go ahead and replace while I'm in there (engine has 160xxx on it)? And is there anything I should go ahead and look over while everything is out? Feel free to answer any other unasked questions you might feel are relevant too. Thanks guys!

Also, my engine did not come with a spring diaphragm or a 2mm spacer for the intake cam gear/vanos input shaft. What are the benefits to adding these two parts in? Is it a direct fit or will it need modification to make work. Is it even worth the hassle?
    Last edited by hkdboarder42; 03-25-2019 at 03:53 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You already bought new lifters? Because they can be disassembled and cleaned out, usually they will work like new again. Some lifters are physically damaged and those would be replaced.

Is the oil pan off? If it is then read up on securing the oil pump nut. Also there's the option to upgrade to a Z3 oil pickup tube.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    I was originally going to clean them, but they dropped out when i removed the cam tray, the magnets I was using to secure the lifters weren't as strong as i anticipated

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    New is never a bad idea. The only reason people advise cleaning instead of replacing is because they are young and on a tight budget. I'm one of those people that if im doing the work I want to do it right with all new parts.

While you're in for the lifters, check out your timing chain tensioners, vanos unit, and valve cover gasket when you button it all up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    New is never a bad idea. The only reason people advise cleaning instead of replacing is because they are young and on a tight budget. I'm one of those people that if im doing the work I want to do it right with all new parts.

While you're in for the lifters, check out your timing chain tensioners, vanos unit, and valve cover gasket when you button it all up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    There is more truth to that then not. If you are in there already, might as well do it right.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Thanks for the input guys. Funny how alike our mindsets are, all the parts you listed I just ordered yesterday! I do plan on reusing the lower tensioner, would you advise against this?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Ina lifters are about $12 each, but that is $288 for 24 so it does add up, but I agree it’s not a bad idea to refurbish a 20 year old valve train if you can afford to.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Hey guys, so all parts are in and I'm nearing reassembly. I have a couple questions: first, what break in oil should I use, and what non-synthetic oil should I use along with the break in oil? How soon until I can switch back to synthetic oil? I've read that lifters should not be pumped up prior to installation, despite the video I've been using stating to do so. Is this true? Also, when it comes to priming the oiling system, how should I go about this? Thanks guys.