Thread: What happened!? (Long read/rant/?)

My Cars
    2004 330ci, 02 Z3 2.5i

What happened!? (Long read/rant/?)

I used to be a pretty active member here at Bummer forums, especially here on the regional sub. For some reason, I stopped logging on, as the more I met others around, the more I communicated directly with them. Also, I was done with mods on my (then) E39 528i Sport, and my S52 swapped 318ti M-Tech. I also noticed more and more activity on FB site, coupled with the fact that around 2013, no one was going to meets when they said they would and a lot of bickering between well-known members. When I bought my second Audi, (my first decent Audi, the '84 4kq looked cool, and got all lot of thumbs up, but I could never get it driving consistently due to brake issues) a low mile, one owner, highly (dealer) maintained C5 A6 4.2, I decided to dip back into the Audi fourms I was a part of back in my 4kq days. That place was never a hot bed for "normal" Audi models, sans the B5 A4, as well as the PNW regional thread being a ghost town. So I never even tried when I bought my B5 S4, as it was already tastefully modded with Stassis coilovers, late-model A3 18" wheels, Milltek exhaust, Euro one-piece headlights and a number of other bits and VAGCOM edits. Those cars are gone, but I still own a D2 ('01) Audi S8 and my wife drives an '02 Z3 that is pristine. I came back here wondering if the BMW PNW crowd still holds Tuesday Dick's meet on Holman and all the other little parking lot gatherings, as well as tool sharing and local parts swapping. None. Did everyone else go the same route as I with losing interest and switching to social media groups, or is there now a better forum for both local and model info?
    (I'm now buying a CLK 320 so I'll have the German trifecta)
    Oh wow! My old E39 is still my sig!
    Last edited by milla290; 03-24-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Not sure what to tell ya, this whole forum in general seems to be dying down. I only happened to pop-in on this section because I accidentally clicked the "General" forum button since i'm on my work computer and don't have the E39 section bookmarked (LOL). A lot of the action seems to be on PNW BMW (Facebook group) in terms of part swaps, tools, meets, etc. However, lately it's just a bunch of drama between the younger generation of BMW owners now that everything is so affordable.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    E34
    FB happened.

My Cars
    lots
    I was never all that active, over here, but forums are really dying off, in general. Really makes me sad. Facebook is fucking AIDS. I literally feel my brain cell count drop from reading anything on there - glad to not be on FB anymore.

Would be cool to see this forum regain some activity, but, combined with everyone switching to Failbook since it's "easier" to use, and all the guys who used to be on here, moving on, for the most part, I don't really see it happening.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah Facebook can die in a fire for stuff like this. Forums are the proper place for detailed DIY Q&A, build journals, guides, etc... I know there are several of us in the Seattle area active over in the E36 and M3 sections here, for what it's worth. Would be cool to go to a local meetup at some point, but I'm not interested in weeding through a bunch of garbage I don't care about (plus ads) in a random order feed on FB to do it.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 03-27-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    When they started cracking down on part selling in the regional sections that's really when I noticed a decline in traffic. I've met a lot of cool people from here. People I still talk to on occasion because I either bought or sold them a part. FB for me was complete trash with lots of youth just ruining it for me as others have said. Low quality parts and lot of drift missile type cars. Forums will always hopefully hold some place because they provide the appropriate format to detail and document builds, DIY, etc.

I mostly only attend BMWCCA events and racing events on https://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/

I noticed some forums have a better community based on the exact model vehicle. For example m3forum.net is very active for E46 M3 owners. However their Northwest section is even more dead than bimmerforums though. Not sure what the next generations are going to do as Instagram and Facebook to me are not the same.
    Last edited by Andres; 03-30-2019 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    02 BMW X5 5 spd manual
    I wish the forum could be revamped, I refuse to use Facebook groups because it seems like the average cheap BMW owner is... well.... Not the type of person I would hang out with. lol
    Instagram: Jaws.garage
    2007 Saleen S331 Supercharged #133 Oxford white
    2002 Mercedes E55 AMG Tectite Grey/Black, Kleemann upgrades, Supersprint muffler
    2007 Buell XB12scg Cherry Bomb

My Cars
    2004 330ci, 02 Z3 2.5i
    Kinda seems you all fell off for the same reasons I did. I didn't buy that Merc, instead I bought a well maintained 04 330ci ZHP that has me back in love with BMW again.. My wife's Z3 definitely didn't do it for me.. Attending this years Leavenworth Drive again, but I'll be in my S8 and the wife will be driving the E46. I'll pour a sip out for this sub later tonight...
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    I tend to agree that moving the For Sale threads really killed the sub. There was no more sense of community anymore. Now when I post things for sale, I'll sell 80% of them on facebook because my thread gets towed to the general for sale stuff and most the time people don't want to pay for shipping

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Maybe now that Panjo is gone they can allow FS threads back in the local subs? I don't see a reason why not.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Well...there is a FS thread at the top of this forum now. It would be cool if this place could pick up a bit (I didn't live here in what was probably the hey-day). I also have quite a few parts I wouldn't mind selling on here, but have no desire to put on Facebook or Craigslist.
    CBlock

My Cars
    96 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Well...there is a FS thread at the top of this forum now. It would be cool if this place could pick up a bit (I didn't live here in what was probably the hey-day). I also have quite a few parts I wouldn't mind selling on here, but have no desire to put on Facebook or Craigslist.
    I am on the hunt for some coupe parts if you have any....
    Grimegang_cody on instagram if you want to follow my progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Timing View Post
    I heard you like fenders, yo. So I screwed some fenders on your fenders.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    Facebook killed it/ the older crowd moved on since 16 year olds started affording e46s haha.

I do miss the days of this community being lively. So much easier to ask for help/parts or buy/sell parts. The get togethers and what not were awesome and made this forum for me.

Now when I'm on facebook groups and what not its a buncha young kids drifting instead of mature adults driving.

Really sucks since i purchased a M3 from a member on here last week and have been looking around here for the last month or so. But now i cant find shit local for the most part which i guess is bitter sweet.
    Need graphic design work? LookAtMeSmile.com

Quote Originally Posted by cr2596 View Post
    Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    I just spent about 10 minutes looking at the facebook crap...too many angel eyes, welded diffs, baconed fenders and people searching for sub $4k cars to buy. Can't do it.
    CBlock

My Cars
    Tundra ///M Coupe & R6
    I still go to Off Topic nearly every day, but stay away from FB groups and other platforms.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyMike View Post
    I still go to Off Topic nearly every day, but stay away from FB groups and other platforms.
    Really? haha thats awesome....Lemme know when you wanna take that Shoe out again!

Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    Tundra ///M Coupe & R6
    Quote Originally Posted by H2oiamwater View Post
    Really? haha thats awesome....Lemme know when you wanna take that Shoe out again!
    Well its been out twice so far this year, which means I have about one more outing this year haha

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    haha where else besides leavenworth?

I'm going to try and start going to cars and coffee on lake washington once or twice a month. its from 10am-12 every sunday and seems like a pretty chill and diverse turn out. Also one in shoreline but looks more like classic cars since its put on by the greenwood knights.

Trying to find semi regular GTGs like we did with dick's

My Cars
    Tundra ///M Coupe & R6
    Quote Originally Posted by H2oiamwater View Post
    haha where else besides leavenworth?

I'm going to try and start going to cars and coffee on lake washington once or twice a month. its from 10am-12 every sunday and seems like a pretty chill and diverse turn out. Also one in shoreline but looks more like classic cars since its put on by the greenwood knights.

Trying to find semi regular GTGs like we did with dick's
    I took it for emissions and registration hahaha

Brian and I were talking about how nice the weekly g2g where back in the Dick's days.

My Cars
    95 JDM3
    I moved. Sold the ls1 E36. And hadn't touched another since until last Thursday.
    But I mostly migrated over to reddit. Only to pop over into OT and lurk a few times a year.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    lets do it!!!!