Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Judder

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

Transmission Judder

My e38 is a 3.99 740i shorty sport with the high stall torque converter. I have noticed the low rpm(holding around 1800rpm) trans shuddering with a low droning noise after driving for a while and getting the trans to operating temperature that usually points to the torque converter being at fault (Big thanks to Timm on his case study - https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/BMW_E3...dy_Misfire.htm). Trans failsafe came up and I lost all gears when parking the car after first noticing these symptoms, but after restarting the car I was able to get gears back. I immediately ordered 2 tubes of dr. tranny lubeguard and purchased 2 gallons of Valvoline max life which shows on the bottle it meets the LT71141 spec. I also read and cleared the attached error code.
    My trans has around 240k miles and shifts perfect otherwise. I changed the fluid and filter(filtran) around 30k ago with Amsoil and has been shifting perfect and still does just has the shudders. Fast forward to today, I drove to a friends garage, shut it down and when started back up and attempting to get it on the ramps it threw the TFS message again with no gears, which after restsrting 2x the gears came back alive. We cracked the drain plug and drained the trans fluid and a gallon came out. Let the trans cool using a fan on the gearbox to help. I read the EGS errors while waiting for the gearbox to cool down and sure enough the same error was stored. We then refilled the trans at 40-50c gearbox temperature with 2 tubes of the dr. tranny lubeguard and it took a gallon of maxlife back in. So far, the tranny has shifted smooth and the shuddering with the low droning noise at 1800rpm has not happend yet, but time will tell if this does not pop back up. Is the error I have attached a solenoid electrical error? I plan on scanning it again after a few good drives to see of the error comes back...
    Last edited by purplecty; 03-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Ok, so after having been there done that with these transmissions, I'd say to spend the effort and money on ZF lifeguard 5 fluid. I had maxlife in mine as it came up to rebuild, and I do think the fluid does make a difference.

I in particular was losing gears after long runs at high speed on the highway. Coming down to a stop, it would seem to slip out of gear and not have any grab until the revs increased and it would grab. Then, one day it downshifted getting on the highway and when I got off, it was dead.

If your torque converter is fairly new, the judder may not be that, but rather an internal pressure issue or the clutches. I had a 2-3 shudder in the trans itself for a good few years before the rebuild. That wasn't my TC, but rather the clutches.

Long story short, you are on borrowed time at 240k. I would put the ZF Lifeguard 5 in it ~$200, and you may get another 4-6k out of it. That's what I got. Treat it like a baby.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Ok, so after having been there done that with these transmissions, I'd say to spend the effort and money on ZF lifeguard 5 fluid. I had maxlife in mine as it came up to rebuild, and I do think the fluid does make a difference.

I in particular was losing gears after long runs at high speed on the highway. Coming down to a stop, it would seem to slip out of gear and not have any grab until the revs increased and it would grab. Then, one day it downshifted getting on the highway and when I got off, it was dead.

If your torque converter is fairly new, the judder may not be that, but rather an internal pressure issue or the clutches. I had a 2-3 shudder in the trans itself for a good few years before the rebuild. That wasn't my TC, but rather the clutches.

Long story short, you are on borrowed time at 240k. I would put the ZF Lifeguard 5 in it ~$200, and you may get another 4-6k out of it. That's what I got. Treat it like a baby.
    I agree with the ZF fluid but at 240k, I just feel it may have been money potentially thrown away if it didn't help the issue. So far it has not shuddered once and there is has been no droning noise. With the maxlife and dr tranny it has been perfect. Drove on my 35 mile highway commute to work at up to 100 mph speeds and it did not miss a beat. If it goes out I will definitely be fixing it by either getting a good used low mileage trans from my local BMW partout guy or going with a 6speed manual swap...
    Last edited by purplecty; 03-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    The primary reason why it feels better is likely the Dr. Tranny. That's a friction modifier. I thought the ZF fluid would be a waste on my dying trans, but for $200 I got another 6k miles out of the trans. I'm sure it wouldn't have got that with more Maxlife. I will NOT be using anything other that ZF in my rebuilt one. And I will change it every 50k. $200 is cheap money for 50k miles.
    Last edited by racer2086; 03-25-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    The primary reason why it feels better is likely the Dr. Tranny. That's a friction modifier. I thought the ZF fluid would be a waste on my dying trans, but for $200 I got another 6k miles out of the trans. I'm sure it wouldn't have got that with more Maxlife. I will NOT be using anything other that ZF in my rebuilt one. And I will change it every 50k. $200 is cheap money for 50k miles.
    We will see how long this round lasts. If it gets me another 10-20k I will use some higher quality fluid with another 2 tubes of dr tranny...

My Cars
    see my signature
    Might be too late for this 5HP24, but I always change out the pressure regulator with the TransGo kit (available on eBay). I've done 3 so far, and about to do my 4th soon. Extra insurance to make sure wayward pressure spikes don't take out your A drum. I don't think this will help your shuddering, but just wanted to mention it. Your clutches are probably toast at this mileage. It's ready for a full rebuild.
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    You are probably right I have a guy who has a used sport rebuilt trans with 14k on it since rebuild with all paper work from a part out that had bad guides. Might be worth just snatching it up but it has been shifting very smoothly so far...
    Last edited by purplecty; 03-25-2019 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)

I think the Pentosin ATF1 is the same as ZF Lifeguard 5, if you want to save some money.

- - - Updated - - -

About the Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder, both Racer and I had tried it and it works. In my case I need to re-add it in every 4-6 months tho, planning to try their long term solution soon. Maybe I can get a year out from the torque converter before replacing it.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I think the Pentosin ATF1 is the same as ZF Lifeguard 5, if you want to save some money.

- - - Updated - - -

About the Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder, both Racer and I had tried it and it works. In my case I need to re-add it in every 4-6 months tho, planning to try their long term solution soon. Maybe I can get a year out from the torque converter before replacing it.
    Good info! Thanks for the feedback!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlin View Post
    Might be too late for this 5HP24, but I always change out the pressure regulator with the TransGo kit (available on eBay). I've done 3 so far, and about to do my 4th soon. Extra insurance to make sure wayward pressure spikes don't take out your A drum. I don't think this will help your shuddering, but just wanted to mention it. Your clutches are probably toast at this mileage. It's ready for a full rebuild.
    Agree. The clutches are nearly gone. You've got some friction modifier in there now to limp it along, but you've got the warning sign.

I put the TransGo kit in mine right before it died. Personally, I don't think it did anything. They say when you take the valve body apart, you can gently take a pick or tool and feel for a ledge. I didn't have any ledge, so I think the TransGo was pointless. Then my trans grenaded when downshifting on the highway 6k miles later. I think for the most part, ZF fixed the ledging issue in later transmissions, at least that's what Eriksson said.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    You are probably right I have a guy who has a used sport rebuilt trans with 14k on it since rebuild with all paper work from a part out that had bad guides. Might be worth just snatching it up but it has been shifting very smoothly so far...
    Buy it. You will not get 10k out of your current trans. You will kick yourself for passing it up. How much? A rebuilt/rebuild is probably 3k or more. Then it's just a matter of a simple swap.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I forget which fluid is which. But FCP sells the Lifeguard 5 and it is nearly if not exactly the same as OEM. It smells OEM and the transmission went right back to the same "shift feel" and TC grumble at the same RPM and frequency as before my switch to Maxlife. Looking back on it, I do regret trying to save...what...$100 by going to Maxlife. The stuff is still pricey when you have to buy 2-3 gallons.

Dr. Tranny is a temporary fix. For mildly worn TCs, it'll work and may last a while. Mine I got maybe 7k out of it. They say not to add more than 2 tubes of stuff to your transmission. I imagine too much friction modifier is possible and may accelerate wear due to all the extra particulate in there.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Damn I'm glad i found this thread, My 01 had 200'ish miles on it when the a drum cracked leaving it only in failsafe, so i ending up finding a guy in chicago that is selling me a 24k rebuilt trans and now i know what not to use in it. Good tips here.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I just checked errors after 100 miles and so far no errors are stored in the EGS. I'm pretty sure I still hear a slight droning sound at 1500-2k rpm which I am assuming is coming from the trans but not 100% sure now...

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I think you were getting some clutch slippage, which you resolved with some new fluid and friction modifier. I would not beat on it at all.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I think you were getting some clutch slippage, which you resolved with some new fluid and friction modifier. I would not beat on it at all.
    On my way to work the trans shifts started feeling a bit rough and shakey towards the end of my route. Looks like I will be moving towards a new trans sooner rather than later...

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    How many miles since the fluid?

I want everyone on here to remember that you're saving maybe what $50 using fluid other than Lifeguard 5? $100 maybe? Not worth it on a healthy transmission!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I want everyone on here to remember that you're saving maybe what $50 using fluid other than Lifeguard 5? $100 maybe? Not worth it on a healthy transmission!
    Racer, not to argue with you but ZF does not produce oil. They are just putting their label on Pentosin.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Ok so I was reading about this online and Someone asked ZF about that and they said the oil was specifically formulated for ZF. Additionally, ZF confirmed that Pentosin makes it for them but could not say it is the same as the Pentosin labeled fluid.

Anyway, I just got my car back finally and it drives perfectly, so I'm all about that ZF now to make it stay that way

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Ok so I was reading about this online and Someone asked ZF about that and they said the oil was specifically formulated for ZF. Additionally, ZF confirmed that Pentosin makes it for them but could not say it is the same as the Pentosin labeled fluid.

Anyway, I just got my car back finally and it drives perfectly, so I'm all about that ZF now to make it stay that way
    Congrats on getting the car back, hopefully it stays running great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Mine has been driving fine around town. Maybe I just panicked?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    What I noticed with mine before it went out was rough up shifting on the highway. Especially at higher rpms. There would be what I would describe as shift flares that would happen. Then one day it was over.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    What I noticed with mine before it went out was rough up shifting on the highway. Especially at higher rpms. There would be what I would describe as shift flares that would happen. Then one day it was over.
    I am prepared for it to fail and have another trans ready when it does...

My Cars
    2001 740i

100%! +1

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    [QUOTE=racer2086;30254356 Anyway, I just got my car back finally and it drives perfectly, so I'm all about that ZF now to make it stay that way [/QUOTE]

That's all what matters, great news!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

What was the issue?

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Just picked up a rebuilt trans with 14000 miles on it came out of a 2001 740 I sport package and the paperwork that shows the rebuild Costing over 3K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast