Thread: Blueprint Engines 347 in an E36

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3

Blueprint Engines 347 in an E36

See my thread at: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...1/#post2704737

It's semi-off topic, because it's more about the motor than it is the swap.

But I was always curious what those Blueprint longblocks were all about, and I figure somebody else out there might be curious too.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Cork gaskets and RTV? Coolant through the intake manifold? No thanks, I’ll stick to new-school engines.

My Cars
    99 540i6
    I've wondered how the BP engines were. Looks nice in the pics anyway!
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    Cork gaskets and RTV? Coolant through the intake manifold? No thanks, I’ll stick to new-school engines.
    Another of the million things you and I will never agree on.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    LS E46
    And that’s why you’re slow.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    And that’s why you’re slow.
    you should save your breath. You'll need it later to inflate your sex doll.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Please tell me more about your god mode Windsor that literally splits in half before it can even reach stock LS hp levels. Do tell.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    you should save your breath. You'll need it later to inflate your sex doll.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post

But I was always curious what those Blueprint longblocks were all about, and I figure somebody else out there might be curious too.
    I was happy to see that they used different color paint markers to indicate what's been torqued and when. Different colors for different passes through the torque sequence was smart. At minimum it shows a company that cares to put QC steps in place to prevent simple mistakes.

On the issue of LS vs SBF:

The SBF and the 350 Chevy literally built the modern performance age. Though vastly superior in every way, everything that came after (LSx, New LT, Terminator, Coyote, etc.) those powerplants enjoy the success that they do based on what came first. Yes, the stock-block SBF hits a wall for durability and power production north of 450 - 500 H.P. but that in no way renders them obsolete. Some folks like myself have to hot-rod as frugally as possible or we don't hot rod at all. Not to imply that cost was a driver in the OP's build as his engine preference is clearly stated in his signature line. Having built many a 5.0L powered vehicle, I can understand why.

My first BMW swap was an E28 with a 5.0L / T5 and even though the power was only around 300 horses that car was an absolute blast! I built that car using junkyard parts (low mileage Explorer GT40P motor, home built T5) for tiny fraction of what my E39 has cost. Last I heard the current owner is still tracking the E28 regularly with the exact same powertrain I put in.

Bottom line: Every one of us who decides to repower German iron with domestic V8's share the same desire to build rather than buy. We take the hard path towards automotive fun in both time and finance. Having personally swapped two different BMW's using 5.0L SBF (E28) and 6.0L LSx (E39) anyone who takes on the task has my complete respect and admiration. I love seeing how different minds attack the engineering challenges these type swaps present.

JBasham: Good luck with the 347 track car! Hopefully Blueprint built you a good motor that you can enjoy for some time.

S.F.
    Last edited by StolenFox; 03-31-2019 at 01:30 PM.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Bottom line: Every one of us who decides to repower German iron with domestic V8's share the same desire to build rather than buy. We take the hard path towards automotive fun in both time and finance. Having personally swapped two different BMW's using 5.0L SBF (E28) and 6.0L LSx (E39) anyone who takes on the task has my complete respect and admiration. I love seeing how different minds attack the engineering challenges these type swaps present.

S.F.
    RIGHT ON BROTHER!

I don't have any problems with anybody's engine choice. Simply put, SBF motors in 250-ish HP are pretty cheap. I don't want to spend too much on a motor when I'm building the first draft of a track car to see if I like it well enough to keep it. I can prototype one with an SBF, and if it's a winner in the handling and packaging department, then I can add a few thousand dollars more to hit 400HP, once I've decided it's a keeper.

This forum is for people who swap motors for real, and know how to make things run. We love visitors too! But we let our tools and our lap times do the talking.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Nice. I was thinking about making my 302 into a 347. Looking forward to seeing the car out and your feedback on the difference between the two.