RM European Auto Parts

Thread: M54B25 Replacement

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

M54B25 Replacement

Several days ago I purchased a very low mileage (19k miles not a typo 19k miles) replacement engine for my bimmer, the engine has already shipped. I'm trying to get some ideas for parts that I should consider replacing when the engine is out of the car. Of course I'm going to replace the engine mounts. I'm going to replace the AC compressor as well because mine is dead. I'm considering replacing the alternator as preventive maintenance. Serpentine belts? I'm trying to get a list of parts together that I'll need, just to make sure I don't forget about anything. Any ideas?

*Chassis has 247k miles
    Last edited by Yeti325; 03-24-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: detail

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That is very low mileage. Did the seller tell you why the engine has such low mileage? There are a lot of rubber hoses in the M54 engine. Rubber ages with both heating/cooling cycles and time. I’d closely examine all of the rubber hoses and gaskets. I’d also do a smoke test on the intake before it goes in the car. Lastly, I’d examine the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) plastic hoses for any accumulation of oily crude. It’s far easier to replace the CCV body when the engine is out of the car.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    I bought the engine from a junkyard in Michigan off of Hollander Parts. The condition of the engine was listed as: (Very Good) Grade A. I ran the VIN on the car and it matched the advertised mileage. They also showed a picture of the odometer, which was just over 19k. I'm fairly confident that the engine has the advertised mileage, unless they ship me a different engine entirely, which I would not put past a shady junkyard.

On the VIN there was several reports about the steering sticking, but not much else. My best guess is that something happened with the title of the car and that a replacement title could not obtained. I did pay a premium on the engine for the advertised mileage. The donor car is a 2004 Z4.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check all the hoses, gaskets, and run a smoke test before installing.

I tried replacing the CCV system on my current engine with a cheap eBay kit. I couldn't get the system to stop leaking, so eventually I gave up and installed a catch can. Sure would be nice to have that system working. I've been driving my bimmer on 5 cylinders, and it runs pretty good, all things considering. With the inline 6 configuration the dead cylinder is not all that noticeable. I'll probably put together a time-lapse video of the engine swap and upload it to my channel on YouTube.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    The engine has arrived! Shipping was quite professional. Upon initial inspection it appears to be exactly as advertised. I pulled the spark plugs and found that they look great, as well as OEM. I also pulled the DISA valve and it looks fantastic. Hoses appear to be in good shape as well. I have not run a smoke test yet. I'm quite satisfied with the engine so far. I'm thinking about running a leak down test just to get an idea of the wear on the internals, although there's really no need. Attached thumbnail is a picture of the donor car's odometer.

IMG_0942.jpgIMG_0941.jpgIMG_0943.jpgIMG_0944.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yeti325; 03-26-2019 at 11:14 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Looks great. Definitely perform a smoke test before installing it in the car. Btw, the BMW engineer who designed the M54 CCV had been fired by Audi. True story. I read it on the intertubes.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    looks well done - nice find. any markings on the engine that match the vin you were supplied? just curious.....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    The warranty on the engine is only valid if the engine is installed by a licensed repair shop. Since this is a large investment for me I purchased a leakdown tester from amazon and I'm going to test the engine before I void the warranty. After referencing my Haynes manual I've come to the conclusion that the spark plugs in the replacement engine are slightly fouled, but not awful. They appear black with oil on the electrode and insulator, all 6 plugs are consistent. The VIN of the donor car shows an open recall on the coil packs. I'm hoping that the fouling is caused by a weak spark and not failing valve guides or oil leaking.

I'm going to get into the shop tomorrow and do a smoke test, as well as leakdown, and I'll take some pictures of the plugs. Interesting about the engineer LOL. Not too sure about markings on the engine, I'll check.

I'm impressed by how readily available, and inexpensive, replacement parts are for the E46. In order to cut costs on my rebuild I made the decision that I'm going with cheap consumable parts, but sticking to OEM for all sensors and main components. In my experience cheap parts will most likely have fitment issues and or prematurely go out, but this car is not my daily driver, and I plan on doing lots of routine maintenance, so I'm not concerned. Also purchased a replacement MAF, and alternator, from the same donor car.

image1.pngimage2 (1).jpgIMG_0948.jpg

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The CCV wasn’t really designed by an engineer who’d been fired by Audi. It’s my way of inferring that it’s not BMW’s best effort. I highly recommend that you buy a Bentley manual as the Haynes manual is considered to be second rate.
    Good idea on OEM sensors. I’d check with the dealer to see if the coils were replaced under recall. What brand are they? I think the recall was for Bremi coils. The B25 engine is not known as an oil burner like the B30 engine. I’m betting the plugs’ condition are due to how the car was driven. That is, it was likely driven by the proverbial grandmother who babied the car and drive it less than 2000 miles a year. Thee engines, like almost all modern BMW engines love to rev.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting a Bentley manual. Not sure about the brand of the coils. I purchased some Bosh plugs off eBay for the engine.

IMG_0973[1].JPGIMG_0974[1].JPG

This Wednesday and Thursday I dropped the exhaust, and removed the heat shielding, as well as dropped the driveshaft. Looks like I need a center support bearing, I ordered it off rock auto as well as an AC hose that I need. I also installed a fuel filter and cleaned the engine bay and, wire-brushed some of the rust under the engine bay by the motor mounts and painted over it.

Attached is a picture of the cleaned engine bay. Also it appears that the flywheel on the new engine is different than the flywheel on the old engine, there are two different manual transmissions used in these cars. Not sure if the old flywheel needs to be transferred over, or if it's compatible.
    IMG_E0985[1].jpg

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ditch the Bosch spark plugs and buy NGK BKR6EQUP plugs. The NGK plugs were designed for these engines.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    NMWH9179.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1016.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1028.jpg

The swap is complete! The engine sounds great, and the AC is now working.

Thanks for the advice on the spark plugs. I'll keep that in mind the next time I purchase new ones. It had BOSH BMW plugs when I got the engine, so I just replaced like for like.

Main issue at the moment is that the alternator cable that runs to the back of the starter was never installed. Is it possible to access the nut on the rear of the starter to attach the cable without removing the intake?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yup, from underneath the car.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Looking good! Great idea to share pics of your project.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.