Thread: Just got a e39 530i

My Cars
    e39 530i

Just got a e39 530i

I love bmw’s and my dad has had his fair share of them. He gave me his old e39 as my first car and I’m super excited. I don’t really know where to start, but I want to add some modifications. I was thinking an m5 bumper to start, but i’d appreciate if you guys have ideas. Wheels aren’t an issue as the car has bbs mSport wheels already. -crustardo

edit: here are pictures https://imgur.com/gallery/RDF2Bpl
    Last edited by crustardo; 03-24-2019 at 03:24 AM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Welcome! That's a fine looking car.
    Maybe just google around for E39 mods and collect the ones you like. The looks you like is a very personal thing, obviously

Growing older I've lost the understanding of why anyone would change the beauty of a stock BMW with random-ish mods, so I would invest that M5-bumper money in maintenance items
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    e46, e39
    I agree wholeheartedly with 323iE30. Save your money for something that makes the car run or drive better. The M5 bumper won't make it behave any more like an M5. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, consider a reputable firmware upgrade like the Shark Injector ones. Maybe there's a tool that your dad doesn't already have that will make your life maintaining the car easier. I've had my E39 for 16 of it's almost 19 years of life and it still sings. Genuine BMW OE or OEM parts, no cheaping out.

My Cars
    e39 530i
    I just realized I needed to allocate money for maintenance. My dad just made it clear haha. I think I’ll save my money and buy some halo lights.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved from the General BMW Discussion sub-forum.

You're likely to get more input here.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    If it's a 530i, it should already have "Halo" lights. Maybe the bulbs have just burnt out?

My Cars
    00 540_6
    you have type 42's for wheels.... those are really nice.
    Do the maintenance.... after that look at your wallet. sigh and start saving.... for the next round of stuff that needs some love.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i (Auto)
    Quote Originally Posted by danzee View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with 323iE30. Save your money for something that makes the car run or drive better. The M5 bumper won't make it behave any more like an M5. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, consider a reputable firmware upgrade like the Shark Injector ones. Maybe there's a tool that your dad doesn't already have that will make your life maintaining the car easier. I've had my E39 for 16 of it's almost 19 years of life and it still sings. Genuine BMW OE or OEM parts, no cheaping out.
    ^^^THIS^^^. Congratulations on your E39. It's a WONDERFUL platform. All the advice here is SPOT ON. Resist the urge to be a 'poser'...your car is what it is. Same goes for our 530i we just acquired last month. Your best bet is to maximize what you have by making the car the BEST of what it can be FOR WHAT IT IS. Cooling system, front suspension are the two first items of possible attention. ESPECIALLY the cooling system. Don't fudge or ignore it. Sort your mechanical situations first, then moving onto stuff like fixing seats if they have the "twist" thing going-on, broken coin cubbies, console stuff, front and rear windscreen rubber trim replacement etc. (Is it obvious I've been on a crash course? lol) Save any kind of cosmetic stuff for last unless they are very inexpensive things. Later on, I suppose you can move on to m-sport additions if you'd like. But IMO forget trying to make it LOOK like a M5....one day, you will likely have a REAL one. Don't despise small beginnings (and the 530i is hardly small, it's just a great car!), and have FUN!

A E39 530i for a first car. Bravo. I hope you realize the wonderful gift you have!

My Cars
    e39 530i
    Haha. I feel like you’ve read my mind. My car unfortunately has the twist seats. I have school and don’t have time to fix them. I was hoping on doing it during the summer. Maybe someday I’ll have my own m5 ��.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I love these wheels. It’s my favorite part of the car. I’d rather have these than any other cosmetic imo. I’m sticking to spending money strictly on maintenance until I have enough to buy a new bmw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    If it's a 530i, it should already have "Halo" lights. Maybe the bulbs have just burnt out?
    It doesn’t have halo lights, but they’re round-ish. I believe halo lights are really just led light rings. Which seems a bit modern for an e39.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Moved from the General BMW Discussion sub-forum.

You're likely to get more input here.
    ty!