Thread: M3 overheating after clutch fan install

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i

M3 overheating after clutch fan install

Well, just put in a new clutch fan which is working now because I tried using the newspaper trick and it batted it away. but when im at idle im still overheating unless i 2k RPM the car.

Thermostat worth checking? Kinda lost, no idea what else it could be.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Thermostat. Inefficient water pump. Do you know the last time these were replaced?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Drain the coolant from the block and rad and do the thermostat and water pump, at a minimum, with a new OEM plastic thermostat housing. If you haven't done it yet, at least one of them probably needs replacing. I'd suggest springing for the Stewart pump if you're going to be replacing it, or at least an OEM metal impeller pump.

You should also replace as many coolant hoses and hose clamps as you can easily get at since they're not expensive and it saves you from having to do another coolant drain to address a leak in the future. Also take a look at your radiator (if it's OEM) for any leaks or cracking. The plastic necks like to crack after a long time. The expansion tank is also worth inspecting as it's easy to replace while doing all this other stuff.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 M3

^+1

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I'd suggest springing for the Stewart pump if you're going to be replacing it, or at least an OEM metal impeller pump.
    Use a Stainless Steel stamped/welded sheet metal impeller pump IF you go metal, as that is the impeller type BMW went to when they began having plastic impeller failures.
    The SS pumps were replaced with a composite impeller pump.
    I have heard that Saleri is the OE pump.

https://www.dvatp.com/bmw/water_pump

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-32...ng/Water_Pump/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    ^+1

Use a Stainless Steel stamped/welded sheet metal impeller pump IF you go metal, as that is the impeller type BMW went to when they began having plastic impeller failures.
    The SS pumps were replaced with a composite impeller pump.
    I have heard that Saleri is the OE pump.

https://www.dvatp.com/bmw/water_pump

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-32...ng/Water_Pump/

I disagree on the welded sheet metal ones ... I've seen them fall apart and the metal bits in the engine are definitely not cool! The OEM new plastic ones are fine. Stewart for a do once and forget for sure.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Any of the water pumps you can buy on the big parts sites will be fine. They stopped selling the plastic ones that can break apart 15+ years ago...

Having gone through numerous water pumps, I would recommend the stewart just because it doesn't cost that much more money, should last longer, and provides more flow.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by realjones View Post
    Any of the water pumps you can buy on the big parts sites will be fine. They stopped selling the plastic ones that can break apart 15+ years ago...

Having gone through numerous water pumps, I would recommend the stewart just because it doesn't cost that much more money, should last longer, and provides more flow.
    The Stewart I installed only lasted 100k and did not qualify for their “Limited Lifetime Warranty”

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    The Stewart I installed only lasted 100k and did not qualify for their “Limited Lifetime Warranty”

Really? That's surprising ... why did they deny the claim?

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Really? That's surprising ... why did they deny the claim?
    LIMITED WARRANTY/DISCLAIMER
    Stewart guarantees that its products are free from defects in faulty workmanship and defective materials only if it is determined to Stewart's sole satisfaction that the products are, and have been subjected to, ordinary use and service and have been properly installed by the purchaser (see tag attached to product). If any product fails to conform to these warranties Stewart will, at its sole option and as its sole and exclusive liability hereunder, for a period of one year from the actual date of purchase, repair or replace the product

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    LIMITED WARRANTY/DISCLAIMER
    Stewart guarantees that its products are free from defects in faulty workmanship and defective materials only if it is determined to Stewart's sole satisfaction that the products are, and have been subjected to, ordinary use and service and have been properly installed by the purchaser (see tag attached to product). If any product fails to conform to these warranties Stewart will, at its sole option and as its sole and exclusive liability hereunder, for a period of one year from the actual date of purchase, repair or replace the product

Lol, I guess noone has actually read the warranty. So not lifetime at all. Must say, I'm disappointed. But I've also never had them fail, so I dunno ....

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah, aside from this case I've never heard of any issues with the Stewart pump, and it's worth mentioning that in this example it did run for over 100K miles so I don't think you can call it defective (also probably why the warranty claim failed). Obviously I'd expect this pump to last well over 100K miles more often than not though. That said, I bet if someone contacted Stewart with a failed pump which had only like 20K miles and a few years on it they might actually replace it regardless of what the fine print says. That's clearly a defect, whereas the 100K mile failure is more ambiguous.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy