Thread: Right front suspension popping during low-speed corners

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525it

Right front steering popping during low-speed corners

So I replaced a good chunk of the front suspension on my car (control arms, tie rod ends etc.) about a year ago or so, and it's had this problem where it will make a decently loud "pop" sound on the right side when driving in the parking lot, as if something is getting bound up when I turn the steering wheel. What could be causing this problem, and how much damage have I maybe done driving it like this?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix
    Look under there and check the spring. My rear spring had broke and was sitting crooked. It would pop when I went over small bumps.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedmonCooper887 View Post
    So I replaced a good chunk of the front suspension on my car (control arms, tie rod ends etc.) about a year ago or so, and it's had this problem where it will make a decently loud "pop" sound on the right side when driving in the parking lot, as if something is getting bound up when I turn the steering wheel. What could be causing this problem, and how much damage have I maybe done driving it like this?
    Steering idler arm?
    Lift the car up or stands and pry the joints and mover the wheels lock to lock to test the idler arm and center drag bar.

Did you do the strut mounts? I have a similar problem and after replacing everything else I think it's the strut mounts. (I replaced the steering arm first because I thought it may be that)

My Cars
    1990 525i euro model
    Sway bar links usually or strut mount. Also possibly sway bar bushings

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    Steering idler arm?
    Lift the car up or stands and pry the joints and mover the wheels lock to lock to test the idler arm and center drag bar.

Did you do the strut mounts? I have a similar problem and after replacing everything else I think it's the strut mounts. (I replaced the steering arm first because I thought it may be that)
    I'm pretty sure I did do the strut mounts. I replaced the struts and springs for sure on all four corners around the same time. I remember the problem happening right after replacing the control arms and tie rod ends, but it may have been caused by that.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    How about over bumps with the wheels cut hard?
    Whenever described as "pops" I always think ball joints and am usually correct.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue