Thread: Replaced hood cable. Now trouble staying closed

My Cars
    98 m3, 00 525i

Replaced hood cable. Now trouble staying closed

I just replace the hood cable from the junction going to the latch in the cabin. (Latch side of the cable was broken)

Once I was all done installing the new cable. I tried testing. And when I went to shut the hood it would come back up, and refuse to close.

I noticed the cable wasn’t retracting all the way in the junction box. As if there was to much tension pulling on the cable going to the two hood latches. Which prevented it from going back to its original position.

Has anyone experienced this? I ended up using a dremmel on the latch side of the cable to make the black shielding shorter and less tension on the cable...

It looks like the cable connecting to the latches under the hood are fairly new. So I’m surprised they don’t have enough tension...

Is there a way to grease both latches to make more tension ? Or is there something I can adjust ?
    Last edited by Bmwpower603; 03-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Did you use an aftermarket cable?

My Cars
    98 m3, 00 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Did you use an aftermarket cable?
    Yes it’s an aftermarket cable.

Thought I could get away with it...

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    My same cable broke at the lever too last year, it was 18 years old.
    I bought the BMW cable from FCP, no problems with it.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would replace both parts and lube everything, mine is like butter

My Cars
    98 m3, 00 525i
    Update **

I used PB blaster in both latches. And the spring tension has improved significantly. Allowing the cable to go back into position, therefore enabling the hood to stay closed!

It took some repeated opening and closing the hood to break up the poop that was inside the latches. But it gets progressively better each time you open and close the hood.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-24-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Replaced your forum not acceptable word

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Always lube the latches. Water is always getting in there when driving in rain. Make it a habit to lube them properly every other time you pop the hood open. The strikers on the hood. Pull them off, dunk them in Kerosene, or a good degreaser, let them soak, clean them off properly, lube them, not with crap like WD40, but a lubricating fluid with grease, for example, I use PJ1 Chain Lube, Motorcycle chain lube, another good brand is Maxima Chain Wax. To place them back in the hood, bolt them back up, lightly, snug, but loose enough that they can slide into the latch when you close the hood. No need to latch it shut, it’s just to locate them in the proper place, then torque the bolts down. On the cables, cable lube will prolong the life of the cables.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Every Spring around April or May...

- Day 1: I use engine degreaser or something similar and spray the hood latches x2, then rinse with a tiny bit of water to wash off all the salt etc. Then let it dry for a day.

- Day 2: spray both latches with silicone grease.

If you do this to all your cars, the hood cable will last a long time.
    Most of the time, the hood cable breaks b/c the latches are so stiff (winter salt corrosion etc.), and when you pull the cable, it breaks due to excessive force needed to pull.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Every Spring around April or May...

- Day 1: I use engine degreaser or something similar and spray the hood latches x2, then rinse with a tiny bit of water to wash off all the salt etc. Then let it dry for a day.

- Day 2: spray both latches with silicone grease.

If you do this to all your cars, the hood cable will last a long time.
    Most of the time, the hood cable breaks b/c the latches are so stiff (winter salt corrosion etc.), and when you pull the cable, it breaks due to excessive force needed to pull.
    The reason I posted to do it every other time you open the hood, to lube the works, was because most people with a half a brain would know that I was exaggerating, and remember to do it at least twice a year or so, sh!t, three times a lady. Then we wouldn’t be constantly bombarded with these rerun threads about hood latches and cables every 2 to 3 months.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun