Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SULEV Warranty Coverage - Washington State

My Cars
    None Yet

SULEV Warranty Coverage - Washington State

I'm trying to figure out if my 2010 328i (N51 engine) is covered by the SULEV extended warranty (15yrs/150K miles) in Washington state. I recently purchased this car from a guy in Southern California. The car was originally sold in California, but of course is now registered in Washington State.

To quote the warranty manual that came with the car (page 42):
    The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2010 U.S. Specification BMW SULEV (PZEV) vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Vermont.

By my reading the and/or clause seems to indicate that the vehicle in question has to be either sold/leased, OR registered in one of the states listed. Since mine was originally sold in California, am I covered?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by automan25 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if my 2010 328i (N51 engine) is covered by the SULEV extended warranty (15yrs/150K miles) in Washington state. I recently purchased this car from a guy in Southern California. The car was originally sold in California, but of course is now registered in Washington State.

The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2010 U.S. Specification BMW SULEV (PZEV) vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Vermont.

By my reading the and/or clause seems to indicate that the vehicle in question has to be either sold/leased, OR registered in one of the states listed. Since mine was originally sold in California, am I covered?
    Yes.

My Cars
    None Yet
    floydr,

I appreciate your answer and it gives me some hope that I won't have to pay $6K for a new fuel tank if my fuel pump eventually dies. I'm curious though, how do you know? Have you had some experience with making a SULEV Extended Warranty claim in a non-participating state? Or perhaps you know someone who has?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    floydr,

I appreciate your answer and it gives me some hope that I won't have to pay $6K for a new fuel tank if my fuel pump eventually dies. I'm curious though, how do you know? Have you had some experience with making a SULEV Extended Warranty claim in a non-participating state? Or perhaps you know someone who has?
    I've made warranty claims under the California warranty (7/70K) on my car (diesel) here in WA. It's not an SULEV (actually all diesels meet the standard), but you shouldn't have any problems. Unless the service advisor needs "educating".

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Well you won't have to worry about that since the fuel pump is replaceable the e46 sulevs are the ones with the gas tank that needs to be replaced I just looked on the parts film

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Call my Bellevue BMW service advisor, Cliff Newton, at 425-957-3859. Might want to leave a message for him to call you so you don't interfere with his work with customers.

My Cars
    SULEV coverage is good anywhere. I'm a dealership tech in Atlanta and we replace stuff regularly under the warranty.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    None Yet
    That's good to know. I didn't realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Well you won't have to worry about that since the fuel pump is replaceable the e46 sulevs are the ones with the gas tank that needs to be replaced I just looked on the parts film
    - - - Updated - - -

I'll give that a try. Thanks Floydr.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi

From BMW's Warranties Documentation portal :

To determine if a vehicle is eligible for the California Emission Control System Limited Warranties coverage, the following three items must be taken into consideration:
    • Model year of the vehicle
    • Current state where the vehicle is registered
    • Original state where vehicle was retailed (only for vehicles prior to 2011 model year)

And later ...

Emission Coverage - 2011 Model Year and Newer BMW Vehicles
    The statement in the Service and Warranty Booklet is:
    The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all [applicable model year] U.S.-specification BMW [models] registered in [specific states - list].

Emission Coverage - BMW Vehicles up to and including 2010 Model Year
    The statement in the Service and Warranty Booklet is:
    The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all [applicable model year] U.S.-specification BMW vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in [specific states - list].

So you are correct in that the warranty for 2011 Models and newer, it only matters which state the vehicle is CURRENTLY REGISTERED in for determining emissions coverage. So your 2010 having been sold originally in CA, has that coverage wherever it goes. Newer cars do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    None Yet
    Critter7r,

Very interesting and thanks for the insight. That's how it reads to me as well. My engine is currently throwing a DISA related code. I may have to contact the dealer to see what they can do per the SULEV extended warranty. Those DISA valves aren't cheap.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I don't see the DISA valve on the SULEV/PZEV list of covered components.

- - - Updated - - -

2010 BMW Emissions Related Parts List
    Model = 128i Series
    Model = 328i Series
    LIST OF EMISSIONS PARTS SUBJECT TO PZEV WARRANTY
    Part Name
    Part Name
    GASKET, VALVETRONIC ACTUATOR
    GASKET, VALVETRONIC ACTUATOR
    OIL FILLER CAP
    OIL FILLER CAP
    CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET
    CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET
    VACUUM PIPE
    VACUUM PIPE
    VENT HOSE
    VENT HOSE
    ADJUSTMENT UNIT, INTAKE CAMSHAFT
    ADJUSTMENT UNIT, INTAKE CAMSHAFT
    SOLENOID VALVE
    SOLENOID VALVE
    ADJUSTMENT UNIT, EXHAUST CAMSHAFT
    ADJUSTMENT UNIT, EXHAUST CAMSHAFT
    SOLENOID VALVE
    SOLENOID VALVE
    VALVETRONIC SENSOR
    VALVETRONIC SENSOR
    VALVETRONIC ACTUATOR
    VALVETRONIC ACTUATOR
    THERMOSTAT
    THERMOSTAT
    O-RING, ANGLE CONNECTOR
    O-RING, ANGLE CONNECTOR
    SET INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
    SET INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
    INTAKE MANIFOLD
    INTAKE MANIFOLD
    INTAKE MANIFOLD ADJUSTER (REAR)
    INTAKE MANIFOLD ADJUSTER (REAR)
    INTAKE MANIFOLD ADJUSTER (FRONT)
    INTAKE MANIFOLD ADJUSTER (FRONT)
    ANGLE CONNECTOR
    ANGLE CONNECTOR
    SAS VALVE GASKET
    SAS VALVE GASKET
    SECONDARY AIR PUMP
    SECONDARY AIR PUMP
    SUCTION HOSE, SAS
    SUCTION HOSE, SAS
    SAS VALVE
    SAS VALVE
    PRESSURE HOSE, SAS
    PRESSURE HOSE, SAS
    HEATED REAR OXYGEN SENSOR
    HEATED REAR OXYGEN SENSOR
    HEATED FRONT OXYGEN SENSOR
    HEATED FRONT OXYGEN SENSOR
    IGNITION COIL
    IGNITION COIL
    O-RING, CAMSHAFT SENSOR
    O-RING, CAMSHAFT SENSOR
    ENGINE CONTROL MODULE
    ENGINE CONTROL MODULE
    OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
    OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
    CAP
    CAP
    FUEL RAIL
    FUEL RAIL
    INJECTION VALVE
    INJECTION VALVE
    THROTTLE BODY GASKET
    THROTTLE BODY GASKET
    THROTTLE BODY
    THROTTLE BODY
    ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR
    ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR
    RADIATOR COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
    RADIATOR COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR
    DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR O-RING
    DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR O-RING
    CAMSHAFT SENSOR
    CAMSHAFT SENSOR
    CRANKSHAFT POSITION/RPM SENSOR
    CRANKSHAFT POSITION/RPM SENSOR

- - - Updated - - -

2010 BMW Emissions Related Parts List
    Model = 128i Series
    Model = 328i Series
    Part Name
    Part Name
    DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR
    MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR
    MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR
    KNOCK SENSOR
    KNOCK SENSOR
    INJECTION VALVE O-RING
    INJECTION VALVE O-RING
    RUBBER BOOT (INTAKE AIR DUCT)
    RUBBER BOOT (INTAKE AIR DUCT)
    CONNECTOR (INTAKE AIR DUCT)
    CONNECTOR (INTAKE AIR DUCT)
    PURGE VALVE
    PURGE VALVE
    FUEL FILLER CAP
    FUEL FILLER CAP
    SERVICE LID FOR FUEL TANK, RIGHT
    SERVICE LID FOR FUEL TANK, RIGHT
    RETAINER, FUEL TANK UNIT, RIGHT
    FUEL TANK
    FUEL TANK
    REPAIR KIT FOR FLANGE COVER
    REPAIR KIT FOR FLANGE COVER
    REPAIR KIT FOR FUEL TANK @ FILLER FLAP
    REPAIR KIT FOR FUEL TANK @ FILLER FLAP
    REPAIR KIT FOR FUEL TANK FILLER FLAP
    REPAIR KIT FOR FUEL TANK FILLER FLAP
    FUEL FILLER NECK
    FUEL FILLER NECK
    FUEL LEVEL SENSOR, RIGHT
    FUEL LEVEL SENSOR, RIGHT
    FUEL LINE (UNDERBODY)
    FUEL LINE (UNDERBODY)
    FUEL FEED LINE
    FUEL FEED LINE
    SEAL, CANISTER-TO-LDP
    SEAL, CANISTER-TO-LDP
    DUST FILTER, LDP
    DUST FILTER, LDP
    SCAVENGE LINE
    VENT LINE (FILLER NECK-TO-TANK)
    VENT PIPE (FILLER NECK-TO-CANISTER)
    VENT PIPE (FILLER NECK-TO-CANISTER)
    VENT PIPE (DUST FILTER-TO-LDP)
    SCAVENGE LINE
    LEAK DIAGNOSTIC PUMP
    VENT PIPE (DUST FILTER-TO-LDP)
    EVAPORATIVE CANISTER
    LEAK DIAGNOSTIC PUMP
    DELIVERY UNIT, RIGHT
    EVAPORATIVE CANISTER
    FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT
    DELIVERY UNIT, RIGHT
    RADIATOR W/DORS (AUTOMATIC TRANS)
    FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT
    RADIATOR W/DORS (MANUAL TRANS)
    RADIATOR W/DORS (AUTOMATIC TRANS)
    EXHAUST PIPE GASKET
    RADIATOR W/DORS (MANUAL TRANS)
    EXHAUST PIPE WITH CATALYST
    EXHAUST PIPE GASKET
    EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET
    EXHAUST PIPE WITH CATALYST
    EXHAUST MANIFOLD WITH CATALYST
    EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET
    TORQUE CONVERTER
    EXHAUST MANIFOLD WITH CATALYST
    TRANS. CONTROL MODULE, MECHATRONIK
    TORQUE CONVERTER
    GAS PEDAL MODULE (AUTOMATIC)
    TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE, MECHATRONIK
    GAS PEDAL MODULE (MANUAL)

- - - Updated - - -

That's the list for 2010 Models.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    None Yet
    In this list I believe it is the Intake Manifold Adjuster (front and rear).

My Cars
    That list is a whole lot longer than I ever would have guessed!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    In this list I believe it is the Intake Manifold Adjuster (front and rear).
    I believe you are correct, I didn't notice that. Although I don't think E46s have a front and rear, just 1. It must be just that the list is generic to to cover any other situations.

My Cars
    None Yet
    I just spoke to Dean from the service department at BMW of Seattle and he said that no, an N51 car first sold in California but registered in Washington State is not covered by the 15/150K warranty. He said that he'd like to do the work, but that if they submitted it to BMW-NA for reimbursement, it would get denied. He also sent me a statement that BMW-NA sent to dealers that says:

"SULEV (PZEV) cars registered in the State of Washington are covered by the California Emission Control System Limited Warranty (3/50, 7/70 or 8/100 if applicable), but not the extended SULEV (PZEV) warranty."

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    I just spoke to Dean from the service department at BMW of Seattle and he said that no, an N51 car first sold in California but registered in Washington State is not covered by the 15/150K warranty. He said that he'd like to do the work, but that if they submitted it to BMW-NA for reimbursement, it would get denied. He also sent me a statement that BMW-NA sent to dealers that says:

"SULEV (PZEV) cars registered in the State of Washington are covered by the California Emission Control System Limited Warranty (3/50, 7/70 or 8/100 if applicable), but not the extended SULEV (PZEV) warranty."

Wow. That's really a pisser.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi

Which goes against the other statement in the emissions manual. That statement is, "BMW vehicles not initially retailed, leased or currently registered in one of these "CARB compliant states" are not eligible for this coverage." Which implies that a BMW vehicle that WAS initially RETAILED, leased, or is currently registered in one of those states IS ELIGIBLE for this coverage. Your car, being initially retailed in one of those states, is covered.

And I know this to be true, because Michigan (where I'm at) is not in any way a CARB state, and we have made 15/150 SULEV claims (on pre-2012 vehicles) to BMW several times.

So, a little history ... When BMW figured out that they could change the verbiage for SULEV/PZEV emissions coverage from "initially sold, leased, or currently registered in (CARB states) ... ", to only those vehicles "currently registered in (CARB states) ..." in 2012, they did. But they had to contend with the 2011-and-earlier models that still said "initially sold, leased ..." in their warranty manuals that came with each new car. One of the things they did was to re-write the Emissions Coverage Warranty Manual and replace all of the instances of "initially sold" to "registered". The problem is that they did it in some places that they shouldn't have, like in the "2009 and newer" section of Washington State. That statement should only be for "2012 and newer", and there should be an additional 2009-2011 delineation.

Stay with me, I know it's cumbersome ...

Washington State only partially adopted the CARB rules, so a PZEV/SULEV car sold in Washington State NEVER carried the 15/150 PZEV/SULEV. That warranty statement BMW of Seattle sent you only really applies to vehicles SOLD in Washington State up to and including model-year 2011, and it applies to all post-2011 vehicles registered in Washington State. But if a 2011-or-earlier vehicle was sold in a state that had fully adopted the CARB rules, those rules follow it anywhere it goes, regardless of CARB affiliation.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 04-02-2019 at 10:07 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    So the point I would try to make with the dealer is that in 2009, the warranty stated that "The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2009 U.S.-specification BMW vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in [specific states - list]."

The vehicle in question was sold in California, which was obviously a CARB state. Nowhere does it state that the 15/150 SULEV/PZEV coverage only applies within those CARB states, it applies to the vehicle. So BMW cannot, in 2012, retroactively remove coverage that they stated the vehicle did have back in 2009.

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by maya1883 View Post
    Call your BMW advisor or dealer they will help you in this situation. I also faced this situation when I bought a BMW X7. hope your problem solve soon.
    Hey Maya, I want to buy/lease X7, I just need to know about your problem that you faced before, Also any problem are you facing after getting your X7?

My Cars
    None Yet
    So I called the BMW dealer in Bellevue, WA and the service adviser there said the warranty does apply. That's a promising. I diagnosed the DISA valve as the outside unit which is pretty easy for me to fix myself, so I'm just going to go that route and save myself the time and hassle of going to the dealer. Thanks for all the help everyone. If I ever do need to take the car in for a warranty claim, I'll let you all know how it goes in this thread.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    So I called the BMW dealer in Bellevue, WA and the service adviser there said the warranty does apply. That's a promising. I diagnosed the DISA valve as the outside unit which is pretty easy for me to fix myself, so I'm just going to go that route and save myself the time and hassle of going to the dealer. Thanks for all the help everyone. If I ever do need to take the car in for a warranty claim, I'll let you all know how it goes in this thread.
    Just to reiterate ...

Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    So the point I would try to make with the dealeris that in 2009, the warranty stated that "The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2009 U.S.-specification BMW vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in [specific states - list]."

The vehicle in question was sold in California, which was obviously a CARB state. Nowhere does it state that the 15/150 SULEV/PZEV coverage only applies within those CARB states, it applies to the vehicle. So BMW cannot, in 2012, retroactively remove coverage that they stated the vehicle did have back in 2009.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 04-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.

My Cars
    1991 750iL (E32)
    What dealership are you at? I’m fighting with my SA at BMW of Murray in UT about sulev warranty for my 2007 328i originally sold and registered in Cali; they’re claiming Utah is not a sulev state so Warranty coverage doesn’t apply. I’d like to use your dealership as a reference, see if I can get my SA to call there and get information or something- I’m about to pull my hair out!!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i E92 N51

Here's how I got it to work. I have a 2011 328i (n51) in Florida, a non-sulev state, with about 100k miles. My fuel pump went bad (per car display message), car cutting out after 5 to 10 mins. BMW diagnostic confirmed problem and also stated that the fuel pump module was bad and needed replacing. Cost - about $3,000. They would not honor the Sulev Warranty because the car was not registered in a Sulev state.

So I started researching and found that Vermont (a Sulev state) allows anyone to register a car (and transfer car title to Vermont) - - without being a Vermont resident, and insurance not required to register/transfer title. So I filed out the application and added the application fee (about $100), overnighted it to a courier in Burlington (paid him about $100), he walked it in, got the temporary title and new license plates and overnighted it back to me.

I changed my plates, towed the car back to BMW, and they did the job under the SULEV warranty.

Yesterday, I transferred my Vermont title back to Florida, about $100.

Thanking God for that success! ���� ✝️

Note: Courier's name is Edimos Delivery Service - at EDS Courier in Burlington. Nice guy, honest, helpful, fair.

My Cars
    2011e92
    hey man can I shoot you a text or something? I’m out here in Texas on the same boat

My Cars
    2013 550i
    Hi,
    New member here. I recently purchased a 2013 550i which had the engine replaced approximately 20,000 miles ago. I have driven BMWs for years and realize the value of a good warranty. The one good warranty company I did have is now out of business! Any warranty companies you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast