Thread: Vibration at 1500 to 2500 rpm: PLEASE HELP!

My Cars
    740i

Exclamation Vibration at 1500 to 2500 rpm: PLEASE HELP!

I have two 2001 740i cars with M62tu engine. Both are having the same issue: On the first car i replaced coils, plugs, cooling system, injector O-rings, valley pan, CCV, throttle body gaskets,etc (and cleaning all parts before re installing them) on the first car. I have smooth idle, but when in park, i rev engine up to 1500 and have a vibration. While driving the car, i can feel it more so when driving up a small incline...BUT it is still there sitting still in park. CODES in INPA are: Secondary air system, which i think is repaired now after cleaning the valve...no more CEL. Second code is "Map Cooling" which doesnt seem to affect anything...i have cleared the code and it does return...the VIBRATION is my main concern at this time but i will address the map cooling issue as well.

The Second car was running smooth at all rpm ranges. I replaced intake gaskets, water pump, thermostat, CCV, Plugs, hoses, Valley Pan gasket, injector O-rings, throttle body gaskets, Engine mounts,...I thoroughly cleaned all the parts before re installing....(intake manifold, throttle body, etc) I started the car and it ran smooth at all rpm ranges. After a few weeks, the radiator begins to leak. Replaced radiator and NOW the car has the same vibration as the first car from 1500-2500 rpm. Feels exactly as the first car. This second car was as smooth at "butter" before doing the radiator. Could this be Tranny mounts? I would greatly appreciate your input and help in resolving this issue! I have not run codes on the second car yet because this just started to happen last night....THANKS SO MUCH for your help...im lost!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Wolfe View Post
    I have two 2001 740i cars with M62tu engine. Both are having the same issue: On the first car i replaced coils, plugs, cooling system, injector O-rings, valley pan, CCV, throttle body gaskets,etc (and cleaning all parts before re installing them) on the first car. I have smooth idle, but when in park, i rev engine up to 1500 and have a vibration. While driving the car, i can feel it more so when driving up a small incline...BUT it is still there sitting still in park. CODES in INPA are: Secondary air system, which i think is repaired now after cleaning the valve...no more CEL. Second code is "Map Cooling" which doesnt seem to affect anything...i have cleared the code and it does return...the VIBRATION is my main concern at this time but i will address the map cooling issue as well.

The Second car was running smooth at all rpm ranges. I replaced intake gaskets, water pump, thermostat, CCV, Plugs, hoses, Valley Pan gasket, injector O-rings, throttle body gaskets, Engine mounts,...I thoroughly cleaned all the parts before re installing....(intake manifold, throttle body, etc) I started the car and it ran smooth at all rpm ranges. After a few weeks, the radiator begins to leak. Replaced radiator and NOW the car has the same vibration as the first car from 1500-2500 rpm. Feels exactly as the first car. This second car was as smooth at "butter" before doing the radiator. Could this be Tranny mounts? I would greatly appreciate your input and help in resolving this issue! I have not run codes on the second car yet because this just started to happen last night....THANKS SO MUCH for your help...im lost!
    I would replace the transmission mounts first, they are not expensive anyway (could be a pain to do it). When you say it it's happening driving up a small incline that could be the torque converter as well, though that is not vibration but more like shudder.
    Also, check the roughness in INPA to eliminate any engine related issues.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    740i
    Thank you, Georgebest. I have looked at INPA but im not sure how to read it in "roughness". I can tell you that all of the cylinders are LOW, meaning that the BLACK portion is VERY small to the "zero" side....true with both cars. As for the vibration. I am not sure the difference in a "shudder" and a vibration...I can also tell you that my cars used to idle right about 600 after being warm, but now they are around 700 rpm at idle. Thank you for your help!

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    This is a bit of a strange one - two cars with the same problem - one after just a radiator change. To replace the radiator not much gets fiddled with - possibly the viscous-coupled fan, but these do a vibration if damaged but only for a couple of minutes when the engine is started from cold and then any vibration goes away once the viscous coupling opens and the fan speed drops.

A cylinder which is not doing much does not usually show itself when the car is in Park as each cylinder is doing very little - they usually show themselves when under load with a reasonable throttle pressure - which might match your description of vibration when driving up a slight incline - but this can be checked as the vibration is directly in proportion to the amount of throttle applied and as soon as the throttle is released the vibration goes away immediately.

Unfortunately you can the same effect with a driveshaft problem where the CV joint is failing - but these often give a knock at slower speeds and high load. The way of distinguishing between the two is to drop down to 4th gear when the vibration starts - a driveshaft problem stays the same level of vibration whereas an engine problem changes its vibration frequency (or the vibration goes away altogether).

Finding a cylinder problem with the smoothness or roughness page on INPA diagnostics is not easy where a cylinder is just not making much effort. Its roughness level may be low but the value is a reading of the CHANGE in effort it makes each camshaft revolution - and a cylinder that is just along for the ride may well have a reading that is the same as adjacent cylinders.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    740i
    Thanks, TIMM. I will do more testing. I read your article on the "shudder" with the Torque Converter. I am wondering if this could be the culprit. I honestly don't know the difference in a "shudder" and a "vibration"...I have had the different rpms while cruising at about 60 mph. I first feel this (when driving) at about 40 mph. In PARK, i was pressing the throttle to see where it actually starts vibrating...it is more felt when i raise the rpms and ease it down. It is most noticeable at about 1500 rpm. This seems to be less at times and then stronger at other times. I do appreciate your input and help...i MUST figure this out ..but i'm very limited in my knowledge and how to diagnose this issue...THANK YOU!

My Cars
    740i
    Thanks, TIMM. I will do more testing. I read your article on the "shudder" with the Torque Converter. I am wondering if this could be the culprit. I honestly don't know the difference in a "shudder" and a "vibration"...I have had the different rpms while cruising at about 60 mph. I first feel this (when driving) at about 40 mph. In PARK, i was pressing the throttle to see where it actually starts vibrating...it is more felt when i raise the rpms and ease it down. It is most noticeable at about 1500 rpm. This seems to be less at times and then stronger at other times. I do appreciate your input and help...i MUST figure this out ..but i'm very limited in my knowledge and how to diagnose this issue...THANK YOU!.........ANOTHER THOUGHT THAT I FAILED TO MENTION IN THE ORIGINAL POST. THE FIRST CAR HAS had this issue for a long time...I first noticed it years ago when i replaced transmission mounts. I was replacing the tranny mounts AND engine mounts because i had a small vibration. Upon completion of that job, i immediately felt the vibration and it was a lot worse... i then thought it was engine related beacue i had the guides and chains replaced and the timing wasn't correct. I since had that fixed and she does pur very smooth at idle and runs great even at high speeds. I am wondering if jacking the engine up to replace the tranny mounts could have damaged the drive shaft center bearing, or something else ?? OR maybe it IS the torque converter...i just don't know but i would appreciate your continued thoughts and input.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Vibration vs shudder: shudder is almost like if you were going on a bumpy road. When I experienced it first I thought it was just badly paved road. Almost like power was cutting on and off. Very different from vibration.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    First car could be a TC shudder, but revving in neutral you shouldn't feel that. The TC locks up when driving based on the conditions.

The easiest thing to do would be to take the belts off, put the e-brake on, and transmission in neutral and see if you feel it revving the engine. If you feel it at that point, then there's something with the engine, flywheel, or TC out of balance.

Doing that for both cars would be beneficial to narrow down the source of the vibration. Especially for the second car when things started feeling off after the radiator work.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    First car could be a TC shudder, but revving in neutral you shouldn't feel that. The TC locks up when driving based on the conditions.

The easiest thing to do would be to take the belts off, put the e-brake on, and transmission in neutral and see if you feel it revving the engine. If you feel it at that point, then there's something with the engine, flywheel, or TC out of balance.

Doing that for both cars would be beneficial to narrow down the source of the vibration. Especially for the second car when things started feeling off after the radiator work.
    Thanks racer2086. I will certainly try these things and get back with you. BTW, I LOVE YOUR CAR in black. I have alpine white, and Titanium Silver...i would love to find me a black e38! I would do that but the alpine white car is low miles and in very nice condition...AND i just spent a lot of money on it.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Thanks Danny! Funny because I love these cars in Alpine White. That's a great color. What's the interior color? Post up some pics!
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Thanks Danny! Funny because I love these cars in Alpine White. That's a great color. What's the interior color? Post up some pics!
    My interior is Sandbeige....looks to be same as yours..
    Last edited by Danny Wolfe; 03-26-2019 at 04:28 PM.

My Cars
    740i

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Beautiful car! Take good care of that one!

My Cars
    740i
    Thank you for the compliment! I don't know why, but suddenly the white (second car) has started running smoothly again...I am getting back on the "first car" this weekend. I am sorting out the Secondary Air system now. It keeps throwing a code. I have replaced the vaccum hoses. I took the Valve off and cleaned it, applied 12 volts to the pump and pump works great. Im not getting voltage from the car at cold start up. I removed passenger front seat and checked fuse 107 and is good. Replaced the relay, yet still have a problem. Again, I am lost on this one too. I also did an upper engine "seafoam" treatment as well as in the fuel tank. IDEAS?

My Cars
    E32 730i V8, E38 735i V8
    I think that SAS is not your problem because I have similar symptoms. Mine is the 1997. 735i and I have a slight vibration between 1300 and 1800 rpm. Mine doesn't have SAS, so something else could be a reason. Have replaced almost everything, intake seals, spark plugs, coils, CPS, new battery, belt, alternator, ... But, that's only happens when the engine is cold, reaching working temperature, the vibration goes away, almost all of it. I think maybe, it could be the vibration damper but it's pain to find it and replace.

My Cars
    740i
    im sorry w12a3d. I meant to say that i was working on the SAS in addition to the vibration problem. I am now wondering if the vibration could be driveshaft or Center Support Bearing, or the CV joint on the Differential.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Likely not as those are only in play when the car is in motion and they are not rpm dependent. If the vibration is there revving in neutral, it's related to the engine, flywheel, or torque converter.

My Cars
    E32 730i V8, E38 735i V8
    I feel it in neutral, a less if engine is warm.