RM European Auto Parts

Thread: O2 Sensor Connection

My Cars
    325Ci

O2 Sensor Connection

Need a little help in naming a line.

Long story short, when replacing the valve cover gasket last week, somehow or another a small part of the wire that connects to the plug side of the O2 sensor got pinched under the back side of the Valve Cover. I did not even notice until the car started throwing a too rich code just on that one bank (P0175) and upon closer inspection of that O2 sensor and the lines related I saw that it was pinched. I took the valve cover back off and removed the line, taped it up in one spot where it had been broke with some electrical tape and it got rid of it for that time being. However it's been coming back on and off and it's undoubtedly related to that wire, which I traced to back around behind the intake manifold and it connects in conjunction with several other wires that plugs in right behind the heat shield.

Where exactly does that wire end up, and how can I replace it?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You need to cut and solder if possible out the damage part if it's to close to the plug end where the sensor plugs in then you could cut it off a junk yard car and solder it in

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    When asking for advice or information about an issue, the very first thing you need to do is identify the car. Even if we try to go by the info in the upper right corner, "325i" spans many decades and many generations of very different cars.

That said, depending on the generation, the plug is likely under the engine cover, top center of the engine; you will need to discern it from either 1 or 3 others, depending on the car.

You cannot repair wiring with electrical tape. In fact. such a hack might just cause the wires to short against each other, which could burn up your computer. (Again, depends on what car we're talking about.)

I'd suggest that you replace the bad sensor, or at the very least, cut, crimp, solder, and heat-shrink the damaged wires.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471