Thread: Oil leaking from hole underneath air intake

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li

Oil leaking from hole underneath air intake

Hi all, I知 an idiot when it comes to cars. I just bought this car. Now, I have a bunch of oil leaking on the ground. I googled up the alternator bracket gasket as being the likely culprit, and when I began taking things apart I noticed a hose that had fallen out of a small hole below the engine air intake. I don稚 know what that hole is. To make matters worse I noticed that the hose had been broken and then placed back in the hose. I have some pictures which I will try to find a way to load to this post.

1) The hoses I am talking about appear to go into or come from each of the valve covers and connect at a T. The T is located near the air intake.

2) If the broken hose was not broken, it would drop down from the T to a connection underneath the air intake and connect to the engine at a hole that is not as big as a quarter but bigger than a dime.

What is this hole for, and what are these hoses for?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The hoses at the front ar the breather hoses.also if the right side valve cover has ever been replaced you have to get the updated breather hose because it now has the crankcase breather in it. The main leaks know as the three amigos is the left and right valve over gaskets and the alternator plate gasket, there is also the vacuum pump and oil pressure switch welcome to the n62 engine

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    Thank you for the answers! This is getting better and better. I知 learning some cool things about this car. So far I知 only $200 into it past my purchase price. I知 sure I値l add to it and I知 not looking forward to replacing some other things. I appreciate your help!