Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tire Time

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    I was gonna consider those when I just bought some, but they didn't have any that fit the E36 M3 wheels I'm putting on. I went with Federal SS595 tires, putting them on tonight so I'm excited. Was gonna go with the ss595 rs which is slightly upgraded but at 65 a tire versus 114 I figured it was worth it to just go with the 65 ones and if they arent good then I can switch to another brand in a year or two when I should also be less worried about finances. Finally been able to start saving recently with my new job

Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    I'm glad to hear this. I bought a set for my coupe just based off of pricing and reviews. They just showed up today from TireRack. Now I'm even more interested in getting them installed.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    Update on tire age:

Tire Rack replied and said without a date stamp, there is no way to date them. If the tread is hard in warm weather, they may be expired. If they’re gummy, they are likely fairly new and good to go.

In the meantime, I emailed the dealer I bought the car from that they were selling on consignment and asked if they knew the tires age. I got an immediate response stating the tires are presently 2 years old and his service techs wrote them up in their inspection report as being in excellent, like new condition. They also reported the fluids were fresh.

So, providing I’m satisfied with their performance, I won’t be replacing tires anytime soon. When I eventually do, I plan on going with the Michelin Pilot Sports.

Thanks for all of your responses.
    I wouldn't trust a car dealer as far as I could throw the whole dealership. HOW did they determine the tires are "2 years old"? HOW do they know "the fluids are fresh"? It's just a fishy statement. The only way they could know is if they changed all the fluids themselves. Who ever does that? I'd get another opinion on those tires. Discount tire has been good to me about offering tire knowledge, even without making a sale.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Um, because the dealer talked to the original owner who told him the date of when the tires were replaced, not to mention I personally measured 7/32” tread depth on the fronts and 8/32” on the rears. That’s very close to zero wear depending on exact manufacturing depth. The dealer’s service techs examined each of the fluids and said they were clean, not dirty and did not recommend changing them. I checked the oil and it’s like new on the dipstick. I also trust the dealer, because when he was prepping the car for shipment to me, he decided the battery was iffy and replaced it with a new 5 year battery on his dime. He also communicated with and oversaw the transportation from his lot to my home. In addition, I noted bolster wear in his pictures, so he had a reputable contractor come in and re-dye the outer bolster on both seats. I cannot tell them from new thanks to the expert work. In the two weeks from my seeing the ad to receipt of the shipment, he communicated via phone calls and emails several times each day. Do I trust him? Totally. Not all dealers are crooks.

The Z3 I looked at before this one was in a different state. I asked if there was any undercarriage rust and was told “not really”. I asked for pictures and saw that it had serious rust everywhere underneath. When I said I’d pass, he emailed me saying both he and his partner felt it was exceptionally clean underneath, even asking me to point out exactly where I thought I saw rust. This place was not to be trusted.

Fortunately, they’re not all the same.

Getting back to the tires, I’ll see how they work when I can start driving it this spring.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Tigershark48...

Sounds like good trust and intuition on your part. Go with it.

gfish

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Thanks gfish.

If I shouldn’t trust this dealer, why should I trust a second opinion?

The dealer I bought from worked with me every step of the way through the process. That was back in November. Ten minutes after I sent him the query on the tires today, he replied with the answer. If the tires were ten years old, he would have told me when I asked him and if he didn’t know, he would have told me that as well. Yes, I trust him.

My Cars
    00 Z3 Cpe, 02 MCS, 99 Miata,77 Fiat Spider plus...
    I just had another set of all season Ironman Imove tires installed that I purchased on ebay. 235-35-19 and 265-30-19. $320 delivered and $25 installed after $60 rebate. My third set.
    Last edited by Brad5161; 03-31-2019 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Indy 500 or Sumitomo HTR ZIII would be my choice if I had to replace. Yes, PS4 are great tire, but twice the price. Many recommend those because they don't know about other great tires and either stick with what worked for them, or rely on recommendations of others. There are other tires that are just as good or very close to Michelins for much less. Its your call in the end, your $$.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I just put on Indy 500 on my 2000 z3 they look and feel great only a few days but for the price glad i made that choice 499 plus 100 rebate if you get firestone card it was easy great choice good luck

My Cars
    z3
    I'm glad to hear this. I bought a set for my coupe just based off of pricing and reviews. They just showed up today from TireRack. Now I'm even more interested in getting them installed.
    They are great tires man, please post some feedback once you have em on!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    They are great tires man, please post some feedback once you have em on!
    I'm in the market. It's these or the Michelins (or my standard go to Conti DW). Where on earth are people finding the PSS for $550? I just looked on walmart.com and was ~$200/rear & ~$150/front.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I was beginning to wonder when no one had mentioned the Conti DW. I've run both generations of this tire on my Coupe, and can definitely say the the new generation definitely has a stiffer sidewall than the first generation. I'm sure it still isn't the tire that the PS4's are, but they are a lot cheaper, though I wish there was some valid comparison with some of the other tires mentioned in this thread.

Marty

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    My $0.02- don't trust the dealer to give you accurate service information.

If you don't have date codes on the tires and they are hard- you should replace them ASAP. Timed-out tires can have a surprising lack of traction, especially in wet conditions or cold weather.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    I was beginning to wonder when no one had mentioned the Conti DW. I've run both generations of this tire on my Coupe, and can definitely say the the new generation definitely has a stiffer sidewall than the first generation. I'm sure it still isn't the tire that the PS4's are, but they are a lot cheaper, though I wish there was some valid comparison with some of the other tires mentioned in this thread.

Marty
    When I was tire shopping 2 years ago, I read a comment comparing the DW to the Contisport, a new tire in 2017. The Contisport was a lot better, basically as good as the Michelins, so I bought 4 of them, around $700 out the door at Discount tire, with a 30k mileage warranty, which I'm about to take advantage of. The rears are getting close to the bar, with about 14k on them.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    I was beginning to wonder when no one had mentioned the Conti DW.

Marty
    I run them on my Roadster (235/40/18 & 285/35/18) and love them.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I'm in the market. It's these or the Michelins (or my standard go to Conti DW). Where on earth are people finding the PSS for $550? I just looked on walmart.com and was ~$200/rear & ~$150/front.
    Conti DW's are good too

But indy 500's are my go-to now for a performance car. I just love em. Can't even chirp second with my s54... used to be able to chirp into 3rd on old potenzas.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    I was gonna go with those but couldn't find the size. So far I've been very impressed with the grip of the Federal SS595 RSRs and the price was unbeatable. I only have a 2.8, but they really stick through hard cornering

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Conti DW's are good too

But indy 500's are my go-to now for a performance car. I just love em. Can't even chirp second with my s54... used to be able to chirp into 3rd on old potenzas.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    When I was tire shopping 2 years ago, I read a comment comparing the DW to the Contisport, a new tire in 2017. The Contisport was a lot better, basically as good as the Michelins, so I bought 4 of them, around $700 out the door at Discount tire, with a 30k mileage warranty, which I'm about to take advantage of. The rears are getting close to the bar, with about 14k on them.
    I just remembered my DWs have a 30k warranty too. They'll have disintegrated from age if they ever hit 30k (I add about 1k/year on them), but good to know the warranty is there if I ever go nuts.

My Coupe sees about 6k/year currently, but my new second job is about 80 miles round trip 3 days/week so think I'll be closer to 15k/year now (which literally just occurred to me). Crap, maybe I just need some cheapies that are good on the highway (or I just need to drive the Roadster more haha).
    Last edited by s8ilver; 04-01-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    I was gonna go with those but couldn't find the size. So far I've been very impressed with the grip of the Federal SS595 RSRs and the price was unbeatable. I only have a 2.8, but they really stick through hard cornering
    I ran a set of the SS595's and they were okay for the price, but oh my god did they get noisy.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Considering they were only 60$ a tire and the grip level they have, thats okay with me haha. Plus I'm hoping to get an eisenmann exhaust soon (open to suggestions if anyone has one for an m52tu car) so hopefully I won't be hearing too much tire noise. I also still have ridiculous camber atm that I need to fix cause the PO had H&R/Bilstein lowering springs put on and didnt add any camber adjustments to offset it, so cheap tires are better. It would be a shame to buy PS4s and run through them because I have too much camber

I ran a set of the SS595's and they were okay for the price, but oh my god did they get noisy.

My Cars
    2001 BMW z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    Considering they were only 60$ a tire and the grip level they have, thats okay with me haha. Plus I'm hoping to get an eisenmann exhaust soon (open to suggestions if anyone has one for an m52tu car) so hopefully I won't be hearing too much tire noise. I also still have ridiculous camber atm that I need to fix cause the PO had H&R/Bilstein lowering springs put on and didnt add any camber adjustments to offset it, so cheap tires are better. It would be a shame to buy PS4s and run through them because I have too much camber
    correct me if wrong bc i <3 knowledge but Im very certain camber doesnt effect tire wear half as much as people say it does . If most of your tire’s on the ground, which it is, you’re good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Potes View Post
    correct me if wrong bc i <3 knowledge but Im very certain camber doesnt effect tire wear half as much as people say it does . If most of your tire’s on the ground, which it is, you’re good

You're wrong. Depends on a few factors, but in general bad camber will wear out tires. Just look at any tires on a car with bad camber settings. You'll see the diff across the tire.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Just corner harder.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2001 BMW z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    You're wrong. Depends on a few factors, but in general bad camber will wear out tires. Just look at any tires on a car with bad camber settings. You'll see the diff across the tire.
    Well looking at my car, and it’s lowered with awful rear camber I needa fix soon lol, and the new michelin supersports I put on a couple thousand miles ago, I see no difference between inner and outer wear. The camber is a few degrees naturally, we’re not talking about cars with stance. Maybe time will change the wear consistency

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Maybe on some cars, but I just took my winters off, and looking at them you can see that half the tire is at the wear bars and the other half looks brand new. Which is why I went with the grippy 65$ federals cause if I need a new rear set in a year and a half again I won’t be mad and I can drive hard on me without remorse

My Cars
    00 Z3 Cpe, 02 MCS, 99 Miata,77 Fiat Spider plus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Potes View Post

It does. Wears the inner edge out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast