Thread: Parked

My Cars
    Z3

Parked

I have a 2000 z3. Circumstances had me park the car for about 2 years. I've decided to start driving it again as I love this car. Had it parked in a garage and took it out today. Had to replace the battery(expected). When I turn the ignition, the car starts right away with a little surge of rpms just as always but dies right away. Even if I press the accelerator it does rev but dies. Figured it was old fuel so removed the old fuel out and replaced with fresh high octane fuel. No change. Checked the fuses for the fuel pump but all is good. I have been reading through the threads hoping to find some direction. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Any engine warning light on? I'd start by looking for a perished hose, leaking air. You could disconnest the MAF to see if the car will run on 'default' settings. If so that doesn't necessarily point to a MAF problem, but could be an air leak or other problem.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Good advice above, if that doesn't work check you fuel pressure, sounds like it is running lean. Also check that the air ports do not have critter nests in them, amazing what they can get into.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    It would also be a good idea to pull the codes. If there are any, they could give you an idea where to start looking.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    If the old fuel is the problem (and that is probable), you need to do more than just refill the tank with good stuff. You need to purge out the old crud downstream. Replace the fuel filter, purge the lines, and service the injectors. You probably have a lot of varnish and goop in your system. Also, you are in the South, which is pretty humid. There may be gremlins in the electrical too. Not that that is causing the starting issues, but could cause other problems. Check your connections and fuses for corrosion. Good luck and hope you get it sorted fast.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    Z3
    Disconnected the MAF and it fired up and I could rev the engine. I guess I need to diagnosis the MAF next. Thanks for the advice.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Not the maf. You have air leaks. Check the intake plumbing

My Cars
    Z3
    No error codes. Will start checking for air leaks. Thanks,

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    It could be a number of things but that’s a good place to start. Good luck

My Cars
    Z3
    Found that the air cleaner intake hose was rotten(the small hose that branches off the larger). Will order replacement. Also there is a hose on the left side that is covered with corrugated aluminum-paper that has a hole in it. I believe it goes to the air pump located next to the fire wall on the left side. Can you help identity? Is it critical? See attached pics. Thanks.

air box.jpghose.jpg

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    I would also change the spark plugs. Keep in mind that there is about 1-2 miles worth of oid fuel in your filter, lines, pump. So after it starts and runs for a while, shut it, replace the fuel filter, plugs, oil/filter. I would add something to get rid of moisture in the tank as well.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    Z3
    Changed intake hose--no change. Again when I disconnect the MAF, the engine cranks and runs great. Of course I get an error code of P0101--MAF. I clear the code, connect the MAF, try cranking the engine where it starts up right away then dies. No codes. Seems like MAF--what you think? Did clean it earlier with contact cleaner but will purchase MAF cleaning fluid tomorrow and try that.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Not sure what contact cleaner is, but it is a bad idea to clean the MAF with anything other than MAF cleaner and some even suggest that using MAF cleaner is a bad idea. I have used MAF cleaner once or twice on my M Roadster without issues, but anything that may leave a deposit on the MAF will cause issues. Even a finger print.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Sounds like the MAF. You could swap one out from a running car with the same engine.
    Last edited by Adker; 03-27-2019 at 08:43 PM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Contact cleaner is NOT what you should be using on MAF. If anything, it will simply kill MAF.
    At this point, even if it wasn't MAF, you definitely need a new one.
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.

My Cars
    Z3
    Cleaned MAF senor with MAF cleaner--no change. Did a "light test" (where in broad daylight I looked in the intake hoses to see if there was any light--there was. Found a hole in the first intake hose that the MAF is connected to (had replaced the hose connected to car). Tried taping up the hose(just to see if that would make a difference-no change). What puzzles me is that if the MAF is connected it does start up but doesn't stay running but if it is not connected-runs great. If connected, doesn't throw a code but doesn't stay running. Connected--no code!! Is this normal? What other hoses should I check that would cause this. I have not problem ordering a new MAF sensor but I would sure be disappointed if that was not the problem. I do appreciate all the advise I'm receiving--THANKS.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The engine can run off the other sensors connected to the computer but not as well. I would check that you have power, ground and the reference voltage going to the MAF. Quicker just to swap it for a know good one from another car. Do you have a DVM and what engine is it? I can give you the pins/functions to the MAF, should only be four of them.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by tedmamou View Post
    Cleaned MAF senor with MAF cleaner--no change. Did a "light test" (where in broad daylight I looked in the intake hoses to see if there was any light--there was. Found a hole in the first intake hose that the MAF is connected to (had replaced the hose connected to car). Tried taping up the hose(just to see if that would make a difference-no change). What puzzles me is that if the MAF is connected it does start up but doesn't stay running but if it is not connected-runs great. If connected, doesn't throw a code but doesn't stay running. Connected--no code!! Is this normal? What other hoses should I check that would cause this. I have not problem ordering a new MAF sensor but I would sure be disappointed if that was not the problem. I do appreciate all the advise I'm receiving--THANKS.
    Umm, its very simple really - you have a dead MAF - it does not meter air properly to create a mixture that will keep your car running, but it does not throw a code cause the car does not know the MAF is dead - it is plugged in and car thinks its fine.
    When yo unplug the dead MAF, the ECU switches to default program and does not mix based of MAF readings, that's is why your car runs fine but throws a code - a MAF connection not found and it tells you about it. The vacuum leak didn't help, but your problem is clearly MAF.

My Cars
    Z3
    I do have a DVM but there are three pins to the MAF.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for explaining why no codes with what is surely a bad MAF. Ordered a new intake boot earlier today and will be ordering a new MAF.
    Again I DO appreciate the help.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Pin 3=12VDC
    pin 2 =output from MAF ( 0.7V at idle?? its been awhile)
    pin 1 =ground

My Cars
    Z3
    thanks for the info Adker. Will check it out.

My Cars
    Z3
    Installed new MAF sensor and it runs fine. Thanks to everyone for their input and help.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by tedmamou View Post
    Installed new MAF sensor and it runs fine. Thanks to everyone for their input and help.
    Yup. Awesome.