Thread: Any ideas, tips or right direction pointers.

My Cars
    328is

Any ideas, tips or right direction pointers.

So not to long ago i got a 98 328is (for free, was told if i could make it run i could have it) runs and drives, got some things i need to figure out, ive been looking around on it and it runs kinda rough and seems to be pretty rich, i checked out the exhaust as its a custom exhaust, could it be that the o2 sensors werent replaced properly? or what are some things i should look for? seems to idle just fine not rough at all but still rich, if you give it some throttle it almost seems like its flooding and gets really rough, i mean i did drive it home after making it run. theres also a faint smell of gas in the oil (i say faint but its noticeable) i was thinking of the possibility of a bad injector(s) or even maybe just the o2 sensors as previously stated.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Vacuum leaks are common on these cars. Also look into the iacv under the manifold, those can cause fuel trim problems. I had a similar issue and turned out to be cam and crank position sensors, but fixing the vacuum leaks and cleaning the iacv helped according to the smog reports.

My Cars
    328is
    So best to check all of these then? i plan on checking for vacuum leaks in the morning, ill check into the others as well.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Its your injectors, I don't know if running injector cleaner over several tanks of gas will clear them up for you since your dumping so much. You can send them out for cleaning but it's not as cheap as it should be, but search around. Don't buy new or rebuilt injectors off ebay, I've returned several sets for various reasons.

So, I had leaking injectors, bought and returned 3 or so sets on ebay. In the end I removed them and made my own cleaning setup, used two different cleaners (aerosol cans) you use the pressure from the can and energize the solenoids with a weak power supply (doesn't have to be 12v) mine was 9v (but 12v open circuit). They seemed to be fine when working on them but in reality I didn't have anywhere near the pressure of the cars pump. I decided to run injector cleaner through the car normally for 3 tanks (royal purple) and I think its good again.

One test for leaking injectors is to remove the rail with the injectors intact, then energize the fuel pump, be sure to have rags below the injectors. Also before starting you should have a rebuilt kit (~$20 ebay) comes with all the parts, pintle caps, filter, o-ring and spacer. For the M52 you have to get the correct set for pink injectors, the pintle cap opening is larger than the M50's injectors. If you decide to have them cleaned through a service, they will install the pintles and stuff from their own stock.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You could start off with a bottle of CRC GTP (guaranteed to pass) to get the cleaning process started and then the next tanks run royal purple atomizer. But in your case since oil is getting diluted you should not drive the car hard (high rpm) because you may damage your bearings. One thing to do, before driving off, let the car fully warm up because that will give a chance for the gas in the oil to evaporate and get burned off.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    328is
    im not opposed to trying any and everything, also its not a daily driver for me so im not worried about driving it hard (yet) i had suspected an open injector, but im going to go ahead and check everything everyone has mentioned.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by crholland88 View Post
    im not opposed to trying any and everything, also its not a daily driver for me so im not worried about driving it hard (yet) i had suspected an open injector, but im going to go ahead and check everything everyone has mentioned.
    The injectors are definitely a possibility. The injector could be sticking open durring a duty cycle and dumping excess fuel.

My Cars
    328is
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    The injectors are definitely a possibility. The injector could be sticking open durring a duty cycle and dumping excess fuel.
    is there a good option for aftermarket injectors?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    So many. People like the Ford Mustang blue tops. 28lb injectors? There are a variety of options depending on your goals. Are you planning to stay naturally aspirated?

My Cars
    328is
    maybe for now but in the future i might want to go forced induction

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Get your injectors balanced or buy a set of pink tops. You wont need bigger injectors until you are ready for boost.

My Cars
    328is
    i think just buying some would be easier, i live in a small town with no real shops around to get the injectors cleaned or anything.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Most would send out by mail anyway. Having them serviced is not cheap but buying new can be tricky if you want to get them cheap.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Read up more about the Ford injectors, a new set may be the way to go.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Read up more about the Ford injectors, a new set may be the way to go.
    I might get a set of blue tops at some point. I think the pinks are good for most 2.5L motors with basic bolt ons (You dont want to go from one rich situation to another) I think the blues may be a bit much unless you intend to put a bigger tb/3.5" maf ect. I will leave you to research a bit more on the subject. The pink tops were made for 2.8-3.2L should probably do it for you.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/bmw-...p-13641703819/

- - - Updated - - -

On ebay for cheap, but quality will be unknown.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-8-GM...tor-0280155884