Thread: 99 328 Jumping tacho.

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible

99 328 Jumping tacho.

Hi guys,
    This is not really a big issue but I'm interested in knowing what it could be. On cold starts the revs will drop, almost to a stall (very occasionally it does)then jump back up, it happens once every 5-10sec, but will stop a few minutes before full operating temp has been reach. It rarely happens in summer. In operating temp, it purs beautifully. This all happens while stationary, but if I drive straight away, I can feel minor surges whilst driving until it warms up. Any ideas?
    thanks

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by matlock328; 03-22-2019 at 02:01 AM.
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Your VANOS-seals need replacing. The M54 DME has ways to compensate for that so it's not very noticable, but the M52TU engines start surging a bit while warming. I have the same issue, I don't think it's a very big deal. Symptoms only occur during warmup (not when completely cold or when at operating temperature).

Other things you may notice:
    - you need to run the starter for longer if the engine temperature is between cold and warm.
    - after starting between cold and warm, you may notice reduced power. Re-starting the engine after it has warmed up solves this.

But again; no big deal if you always start the engine either completely cold or warmed up.
    Last edited by Raddee; 03-22-2019 at 02:22 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME) for codes.

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddee View Post
    Your VANOS-seals need replacing. The M54 DME has ways to compensate for that so it's not very noticable, but the M52TU engines start surging a bit while warming. I have the same issue, I don't think it's a very big deal. Symptoms only occur during warmup (not when completely cold or when at operating temperature).

Other things you may notice:
    - you need to run the starter for longer if the engine temperature is between cold and warm.
    - after starting between cold and warm, you may notice reduced power. Re-starting the engine after it has warmed up solves this.

But again; no big deal if you always start the engine either completely cold or warmed up.
    Thanks for the info, seems like the culprit. It's been happening for a few years now and not getting any worse so I don't think it could be anything else. I'll look into it.

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."