Thread: 98 E36 328iS Occupancy mat sensor or module

My Cars
    99 328iS

98 E36 328iS Occupancy mat sensor or module

Hello,

I have a 98 E36 328IS and have had the passenger occupancy sensor come on and off for a while now. I bought one of those bypass short term fixes just so I wouldn't have the light on constantly and wanted to actually fix the issue. The other thing is that even with the bypass sensor in the SRS light came on again.

I've read that the issue can be either the occupancy mat in the seat or the module under the seat. Is there anyway to tell which it is or is it just trial and error?

Also is this the correct mat for a sport seat? 65778367600

I cannot find the part number for the mat module, so if anyone has that I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Use realoem.com to find the exact part for you car, you should get the build month/year off your B-pillar.

Usually the mat is the problem. But on our cars the connectors may be the issue, they can corrode. You can get Deoxit 5%, in liquid or spray form off ebay. I used to use the spray but now the liquid, the small container for like $10.

If you don't already have it, get the B800 SRS reset tool off ebay.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yes, for your 98 model the cheap B800 SRS tool made in China works (from built year 1994 they say, and it works on my 98 M3) and it can read the faults, that is the most important. Then you know what is the fault.
    BMW recommends to use Stabilant 22A Electrical Contact Enhancer, Features
    - Electrical contact enhancer
    - Leaves a thin polymer film that is conductive between mating surfaces, but is non-conductive between adjacent pins

- BMW bulletin # SI 610500 Stabilant 22A Electrical Contact Enhancer Model: All BMW
    Complaint:
    Connectors which carry low current are more likely to form deposits which affect the resistance of the circuit through the plug connector. Depending upon the particular circuit these deposits can cause malfunctions and consequently activate warning lamps and check control indicators.
    Remedy:
    Part replacement can temporarily stop the problem.If the connector is the problem then without disconnecting the connector measure the resistance of the circuit running through the connector to make sure the connector has a high resistance. A good resistor will have close to 0 ohms resistance. Visually examine the male and female terminals in the connector housing by removing them. Look at the integrity of the wire crimps, and in some male terminals the integrity of the weld of the male pin to the terminal. Then reinstall.With a zero residue electrical contact cleaner liberally spray the male and female connectors, and allow the air to dry. Apply Stabilant 22A to both male and female terminals so they are saturated, and reconnect the connectors while they are still wet. When the Stabilant 22A dries it will leave a thin coating of polymer film which is conductive between mating surfaces, and is non-conductive between adjacent pins. It can also prevent the formation of more harmful deposits.
    - When applied to contacts, it provides the connection reliability of a soldered joint without bonding the contacting surfaces together

Areas of use: - Electric ignition system,- Instrument clusters
    - Blade fuses, - Bulbs, - Heater and AC controls,- Car stereos and speaker connections,- Sensor connectors,- Electric rear-view mirrors,- Solenoid door and trunk locks and power windows,- Horn circuits,- Tail lights, parking lights and headlights,- Trailer connections,- Door activated switches,- Battery terminals and starter lugs and terminals,- Voltage regulators, alternators and generators,- Diagnostic equipment,

Is available from BMW, Wurth, other makers like De-OxiT, I use a product from Philips
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!