Thread: New BMW Owner 325i overheating problem

My Cars
    1994 325i

New BMW Owner 325i overheating problem

Hello, happy to have found this forum. Looking for some advice for a DIY fix, as I haven't been able to locate a knowledgable mechanic, locally.

Bought a 1994 325i, and drove it for about a month, hundreds of miles. One day, on the way back from a road trip, car began to overheat, on the interstate. Pulled off, and had it towed. Replaced the thermostat, and afterward, drove it for a couple of weeks. Suddenly, it began to overheat again. Let it cool down, added coolant, drove it home, without issue. Replaced cooling fan (had a broken blade) and thermostat, again. Drove about 30 miles, in town, without issue, normal operating temperature, and drove it home. Left again, drove about 5 miles, and the car temperature began to climb, driving at 50mph. Replaced radiator and expansion tank, but not the sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank.

If left to idle, in driveway, it doesn’t seem to rise above normal operating temp. If I drive into town, the car will begin to overheat, at highway speed, after 5-20 miles. Once it cools down, and I get it home, I can let it idle in the driveway, and it never climbs. Once back home, usually cools back down, running. When all of this began, heat blew hot. That is no longer the case. All four fan clutch tests (from MWrench) indicate that fan clutch is working properly.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what we should test/replace next? We've contacted two different local mechanics, who were supposed to be knowledgable about BMWs, but they clearly were not. Thank you for any guidance you might provide.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    If your lucky you didn't warp your head yet, because this is extremely common. So you didn't list the water pump, this is your next step. Also right now you probably have air in the system, don't drive the car anymore, if your lucky the head isn't damaged yet.

- - - Updated - - -

There are different versions of the water pump. Don't bother with the stewart pump ($$$) not worth it. But I would go with a composite pump.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    If your lucky you didn't warp your head yet, because this is extremely common. So you didn't list the water pump, this is your next step. Also right now you probably have air in the system, don't drive the car anymore, if your lucky the head isn't damaged yet.

- - - Updated - - -

There are different versions of the water pump. Don't bother with the stewart pump ($$$) not worth it. But I would go with a composite pump.
    I think he meant to say "Wouldn't" go with the composite pump... Definitely get a water pump with a metal impeller. The OE design is shit.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    The OE design is shit.
    probably you refer to the old "plastic' impellers, nowadays the composite material is fine, we have plenty of discussion threads here on the forum like this https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...posit+impeller

as Eric says here, quote: There are 3 variety's of new pump on the market, heavy duty aluminum (good), thin stainless steel with poor quality welds (not good, avoid) and finally a new plastic composite (good). I have the new plastic composite and it's been fine, I however do not have a clutch fan attached to mine.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...+pump+impeller
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Thank you, all! Off to find a water pump

My Cars
    325is
    Are we all talking OEM pumps?
    I think the good Aluminum one is aftermarket $$.

I went thru a OEM plastic
    The new OEM Composite failed but due to a bearing seal leak.
    I have a metal aftermarket version now, they also added a larger bearing
    Last edited by gc325is; 03-23-2019 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Rockauto. Com has lots to choose from.

You obviously can't buy the original pump anymore. The latest OEM is resin or composite , I have it and it's been fine.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".