Thread: Transmission Noise? Mystery! Can't hear on lift - only when driving

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3 2.5

Transmission Noise? Mystery! Can't hear on lift - only when driving

Mystery Noise. 2004 X3 2.5 - 192,000. Front end noise that sounds like wheel bearings, but it's not. Kind of like studded tires sound on pavement. Happens only when moving - whether in gear or not. (automatic transmission). In the last 4 years the entire drive train has been replaced or rebuilt, so hard to imagine it's anything from the front drive shaft all the way back to the rear diff. Plus all those parts you can hear up on the lift. This - the sound disappears on the lift. Can only be heard while driving, which makes it a challenge to determine what's the cause.

My mechanic is not sure where to look next. He is thinking of pulling the center console, so it can be driven while he is looking deeper in to the drive train.. He wonders about the transmission or something related to the front axles and their attachment into the transmission that might only make the noise while loaded. It started subtly about 4 weeks ago and gradually increased in loudness - and went from only hearing it at slow speeds, to hearing it all the time. The BMW Mystery is upon us again. Suggestions much appreciate!!

PS... The transmission feels great!! The car drives great!! But the sound is very concerning in it's increase and loudness and I live in too rural of a place to just drive it until it breaks...I could get stuck in the middle of nowhere quite easily!

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3 2.5
    Oh yeah...no lights...no codes. Car runs GREAT!!

My Cars
    2006 X3, 95 TSI AWD
    Do you have access to another set of wheels and tires to rule out a broken cord or tire issue? When I rotate my tires I have a very annoying nose for the first few thousand miles.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3 2.5
    I have other tires...summer ones..these are my winter tires... So can certainly change them out soon. But the sound seems to be more in the center of the car...and it seems a bit too "metallic" and "grindy" to be tires.. but maybe???

My Cars
    -98 740iL
    Sounds very similar to the noise my car started making. My E38 is at 192k as well. The noise is kind of a slight growl increasing with revs; I hear it in 1st and 2nd, then it fades away. Gb shifts perfectly fluid level is ok; have a stick to measure I thought it was a wheel bearing for sure. I replaced both and the noise is still there. It's not the tyres either as those were also replaced; noise started prior to that. I'm starting to think it's prop shaft related. Maybe the center support bearing?

Thanks, jt

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3 2.5
    "I'm starting to think it's prop shaft related. Maybe the center support bearing? "
    Thanks JT, Can you hear your noise once the car is up on a lift? We can only hear mine when it's on the ground. Once it's in the air, the mechanic can't hear anything...thus the trouble locating it!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by DTCB View Post
    "I'm starting to think it's prop shaft related. Maybe the center support bearing? "
    Thanks JT, Can you hear your noise once the car is up on a lift? We can only hear mine when it's on the ground. Once it's in the air, the mechanic can't hear anything...thus the trouble locating it!
    Have you tried another set of tires yet? Or at least rotating them to see if the noise changes?

The prop shaft won't sound differently on the hoist than on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    -98 740iL
    I have not put the car on a lift to inspect. Have a lift picked out but not purchased yet My initial thought was timing chain guides but the engine runs fine, no noise at idle. So that kinda leaves gb or prop shaft as the wheels bearings and tyres are new. Let me just also say that I rebuild the gb 15k miles ago due to a a-drum failure. It has been working flawlessly since. The prop shaft is not too bad to do, just have to drop the exhaust.

jt