Thread: Rear coilover with spring instead of original spring location?

My Cars
    98 328I

Rear coilover with spring instead of original spring location?

Just picked up a 1998 328i to replace my 1992 325is track car. Just got tired of having to trailer the 325 everywhere... no title so can't street it.

Anyway, the 328 has BC coilovers and I was wondering about putting the spring on the rear coilover instead of the factory location. Couldn't really find a specific answer searching.

I believe the issue would be transferring the load from the factory spring perch to the shock tower. For this purpose, are there reinforcement pieces available to meet the need and any other possible issues? Could always fab something up and weld it in along with a rear strut tower brace.

The 325 has Koni yellows and H&R race springs so could always just swap those over as well.
    Nothing but projects!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Higher spring position tends to improve handling, but then you would have to add all that weight up high for reinforcing the body to deal with the forces involved with suspending the car at that point instead of just attaching a shock absorber to it. I'm guessing that the handling would be a wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The body is not designed for a true coilover in the rear. Shock towers occasionally fail with just the shock. You would have to do a lot of reinforcement. Might be ok for a race car with a full cage, but not worth the time and money for most racers and certainly not worthwhile for a street car. The subject comes up periodically so you can find further discussion if you search. Same discussion for E46M3.