Thread: bmw e60 525i car crank but wont start

My Cars
    bmw e60

bmw e60 525i car crank but wont start

hi guys here my story was i was try change oil at local oil shop here in my city ...however the tech forget to put the drain plug back and so all the oil came out ....in the mean time i pay here and there than i start the car while there no oil in the car because the tech forget the drain plug..i start the car than the monitor in the car said (low oil pressure see dealer immidietly ) than motor shut off less than a minute .......than the tech put back the plug and refill again with new fresh oil ....this time the car crank but wont turn over or start....is just keep cranking only.....it shows check engine light P0341 (camshaft sensor)....we check the fuse all ok, fuel pump as well fuel pressure they all ok, we did check camshaft and as well crankshaft sensor and theyre ok...battery was new , check spark plugs as well and everything ok....until this moment we dont know what else to check ...what do you guys suggest for us to check next? thank you in advance

My Cars
    Sounds like you did permanent damage to the motor by running it without oil. Camshaft sensor codes may be indicative of the engine being out of time, which is totally possible when running it without oil. You need to have the engine towed to a dealership, and it will probably need a new engine. Maybe that will be a lesson for you not to use Jiffy Lube. There's a reason why they're cheap.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    The motor shut off by itself? I would try clearing all codes the car might be disabling fuel injectors to protect itself since it thinks there no oil pressure.

My Cars
    bmw e60
    The car is still at the shop trying to figure it out ... we will try to do compression leak down test and see ... I really hope the engine is not damage ... is only run without oil less than a minute and shut off

My Cars
    bmw e60
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmyride101 View Post
    The motor shut off by itself? I would try clearing all codes the car might be disabling fuel injectors to protect itself since it thinks there no oil pressure.
    We clear the codes already and reset the battery as well but still cranking only but won’t turn over ..and the check engine still P0341... the tech will perform leak down test and see .... it happen to me before I damaged the oil pan in my old car after I found out there no oil car will still run a bit longer than I stop .... however the bmw is only Run less than a minute than shut off by itself and I would think maybe the computer that did that so nothing will happen to the engine ...

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    OP, White94RX is a highly respected contributor to this forum, listen to what he has provided. Put the oil change shop, that screwed up your car, on notice for damages and get the car to a dealer or indy shop that knows BMW's.
    Good Luck!

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    Yeah it's definitely possible the timing skipped and there's major engine damage. I just figured try something simple first. I've seen many cars run with no oil for longer than that with surprisingly little or no noticeable damage.

My Cars
    bmw e60
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmyride101 View Post
    Yeah it's definitely possible the timing skipped and there's major engine damage. I just figured try something simple first. I've seen many cars run with no oil for longer than that with surprisingly little or no noticeable damage.
    I jus have to wait and see the results from the leak down test ... really hope something simple ... if it does the motor damages than the shop is responsible for it

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    OP, White94RX is a highly respected contributor to this forum, listen to what he has provided. Put the oil change shop, that screwed up your car, on notice for damages and get the car to a dealer or indy shop that knows BMW's.
    Good Luck!
    Thank you for the kind words.

OP, I hope this works out for you. Is it at the oil change place that screwed it up? Or you towed it to a real shop? They need to check the timing. There is no sensor that won't allow the engine to start without oil pressure. It will run until it locks up, or does enough damage to itself that it just quits. It doesn't matter whether it ran for 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. Sounds like the damage was done.

My Cars
    bmw e60
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Thank you for the kind words.

OP, I hope this works out for you. Is it at the oil change place that screwed it up? Or you towed it to a real shop? They need to check the timing. There is no sensor that won't allow the engine to start without oil pressure. It will run until it locks up, or does enough damage to itself that it just quits. It doesn't matter whether it ran for 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. Sounds like the damage was done.
    Yes it happens at the oil place when I started the car less than minute the monitor show oil sign than the motor shut off ...

My Cars
    bmw e60
    He did compression ... the number look no good ... #1 50,0,50,0,50,50

My Cars
    Right. Time for a new engine. Like we said from the beginning.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    bmw e60
    Thank you for your reply .... as for now I file t buriou automotive repair and they will investigate what’s going on... because the shop I went to change oil to doesn’t want to responsible for my car ...he kept say the timing in the car was wrong when I brought mine in ... I told him I smog to renew my tag a few days ago and pass with flying colors ... so for now I report to BAR and let them handle