Thread: DIY Rear Seat Pass Thru (cheap)

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52

DIY Rear Seat Pass Thru (cheap)

I've been thinking about doing this for a while - both for hauling skiis and also the ability to get a few 2x's and such when needed. The problem (for me) with the 'ski bag kit' is that it limits the length of an item you can carry to the length of the bag (although maybe the bag is removable, I don't know) and also the cost. In the grand scheme of things, it's not horrible, but I also don't need anything that fancy. I just need it to be relatively unnoticeable under normal circumstances and practical when needed.

So, I decided to just get the grinder (with cutoff wheel) out and get 'er dun! Eye/ear protection and a drop cloth is a must! All in all, it was about an hour and half (awkward location, of course!) and the total cost was $13. Yup - me is happy with dat!

-- I first measured for the dimensions that I wanted for the new hole from the cabin side, using that center hole as a reference point.
    -- I then removed the grey felt (trunk liner) and transferred the measurements to the trunk side.
    -- Using a step drill bit to drill out the corners makes easy/clean work of sheet metal... and then cut the rest out.
    -- Next, I temporarily put the grey felt back in place and used a Sharpie (from the cabin side) to mark the backside of the grey felt by tracing the hole.
    -- I removed the grey felt and cut the felt on my workbench, leaving it 'hinged' at the bottom. Initially I was going to leave it hinged at the top and use magnets to secure it the underside of the rear shelf, but I would still have that thick sound deadoning material hinging the other way. At the bottom seems to work just fine given the angle that things are inserted into the trunk, anyways.
    -- Lastly, attach the black edge guard and reattach the grey felt.
    -- Click pics to make them bigger - can't figure out how to make them bigger to begin with...

For now, simply slightly pressing the grey, trunk felt back into place seems to holding the 'flap' just fine. If needed, I can figure out a hidden way to use velcro or snaps. I left the round, black, plastic hole 'cover' out so I can grab the flap easily by putting my finger in the hole. That plastic 'hole' cover does help to anchor the grey felt, but the felt is staying put well enough with just the (4) corner securements. If needed, I'll figure out a simple way to attach it better - that'll be easy.

I purposefully cut the hole in the metal slightly larger than the foam/sound deadoning material so that the metal hole is actually slightly larger than the foam hole and the metal wouldn't be the limiting factor.

This is the way I use it. Although it looks like metal in the picture, the "grey" material that is just inboard of the black, edge gaurd is the grey sound deadoning material/foam.

Black 'edge guard' for $13:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by DennisG01; 03-20-2019 at 08:57 PM.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    You're the man!
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Nah. It really just comes down to that old saying... "Necessity is the mother of all invention". I also have an SUV and typically use that when we go skiing. But it's down and out right now so have been using the BMW. It's a real pain trying to wiggle the skis into the back seat, along with my daughter! But, thank you! Seeing how easy it is, maybe it will inspire some others that have been thinking of doing the same thing.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisG01 View Post
    Nah. It really just comes down to that old saying... "Necessity is the mother of all invention". I also have an SUV and typically use that when we go skiing. But it's down and out right now so have been using the BMW. It's a real pain trying to wiggle the skis into the back seat, along with my daughter! But, thank you! Seeing how easy it is, maybe it will inspire some others that have been thinking of doing the same thing.
    I've been thinking of this too, so I can haul a double bass in the trunk without having the dirty bass player wiggling my seats adjustments and then getting my trim scuffed with them ugly bass buggies wheels.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Dennis, make sure you don’t leave that metal bare where you cut it. If your vapor barriers spring a leak, like our cars love to, the moisture will have that rusty within a day. Mask the rest off, hit it with some paint, POR15, Flex Seal!! Something.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Flex Seal, keep an eye on the rear metal, after some spirited driving, check and make sure that rear end isn’t flexing around, you will see it in wavy metal , just wondering how the sedans with the folding seats are flex wise compared to the ones with out.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Dennis, make sure you don’t leave that metal bare where you cut it. If your vapor barriers spring a leak, like our cars love to, the moisture will have that rusty within a day. Mask the rest off, hit it with some paint, POR15, Flex Seal!! Something.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Flex Seal, keep an eye on the rear metal, after some spirited driving, check and make sure that rear end isn’t flexing around, you will see it in wavy metal , just wondering how the sedans with the folding seats are flex wise compared to the ones with out.
    The level of wuss in this suggestions are amazing. almost audiworthy
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    The level of wuss in this suggestions are amazing. almost audiworthy
    Speek normul ingles dood, mee nut saw bryte....

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Yes, I did coat the edges of the cut metal with some paint after filing the burrs off.

I don't see any way that this hole is going to affect the integrity of that metal panel in any way, shape or form. I'm not sure if you've ever seen one, but it is not a flat panel. It has MANY ribs formed/pressed in the metal for rigidity/strength. The area that I cut seemed obvious that it was the area to cut a hole out of. I also made sure to stay a good distance away from the main ribbing around the cut area so as to retain the strength offered by the ribbing. I have zero concerns about the integrity. However, it is an understandable concern that possibly others, who have never seen the panel or understand where the strength of that panel comes from, would have.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Speek normul ingles dood, mee nut saw bryte....

Thee got me, kind sire.

I mean that the flexibizziligility of the chazzliess won't be no copmromizzled
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Whut da heli sdat??? Drunken pirate talk??? Now I’m even more Confuscious say, It okay for girl to meet boy in park, but much bettuh for boy to park meat in girl... ! I’m fuuucked...

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Whut da heli sdat??? Drunken pirate talk??? Now I’m even more Confuscious say, It okay for girl to meet boy in park, but much bettuh for boy to park meat in girl... ! I’m fuuucked...
    Snoop hacked my account for a second
    Diehard E39 driver.