Thread: Driver's Side Oil Leak

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Driver's Side Oil Leak

I noticed recently that I still seem to have a small oil leak even after addressing the valve cover and oil pan. This time it appears to be originating from somewhere on the driver's side of the block, as I see oil/wetness on the block just forward of and around where the motor mount arm bolts to the block. Where are the common places it can leak from on this side?

My first thought is the oil filter housing, but that's a ways forward and I'm not sure how the oil would find its way back there. From above peeking down with a light I can't see anything obvious on the filter housing, but I can't see the full underside. What other oil plumbing sits under the intake manifold there other than the CCV (which I guess could also be the culprit)?
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 M3
    Ya, I would guess the oil filter housing gasket or VaNos line fitting to hose crimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Apart from the oil filter housing to block gasket, on the back of the filter housing there are 2 o-ring seals that can leak, plus the VANOS oil line. You'll probably need a mirror and a flashlight to check the o-ring seals.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    How old is your CCV? I'd be willing to get that's it or something associated (hoses, o-ring, install, etc). When my oil filter housing was leaking it made it's way back on the block, but not so far back that it was by the motor mount.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Ok, guess it's probably just time to stop slacking and do my M50 manifold install, and fix whatever's leaking at the same time. After shining a light in there some more yesterday I'm fairly confident that it's coming from the gasket between the filter housing and block, and then flowing down/back from there. I'll probably plan on just doing the filter housing at the same time as well, replacing all the gaskets/seals.

My CCV is probably only like 8 years old I think, though I do have a brand spanking new one sitting around which I may throw in at the next opportunity.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Mine was definitely due to the oil filter housing gasket. Total pain to replace for such a little gasket, but so nice that it no longer leaks!

John

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Ok, guess it's probably just time to stop slacking and do my M50 manifold install, and fix whatever's leaking at the same time. After shining a light in there some more yesterday I'm fairly confident that it's coming from the gasket between the filter housing and block, and then flowing down/back from there. I'll probably plan on just doing the filter housing at the same time as well, replacing all the gaskets/seals.

My CCV is probably only like 8 years old I think, though I do have a brand spanking new one sitting around which I may throw in at the next opportunity.
    Might as well refresh any vacuum or coolant hoses while you're there so you don't have to again for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by E85STI View Post
    Mine was definitely due to the oil filter housing gasket. Total pain to replace for such a little gasket, but so nice that it no longer leaks!

John
    I didn't find it too bad, but it's also way easier with the manifold out of the way. Just have to remove the alternator if I remember correctly

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    The filter housing is so big and touches so many things that oil from that gasket can get EVERYWHERE on the drivers side. If you are having a drivers side oil leak and have never touched that gasket there's no reason to even look any farther until you replace it. It will get all the way down and drip off the front subframe.

It's not too bad to replace, honestly. If you've had your clutch fan off recently the rest goes pretty quick. But I've never seen any bmw from the e36/e39/e46 era that didn't have a filter housing gasket leak. I keep 4 or 5 of them in my garage for whenever a friend comes by to do anything. They are THAT bad.