Thread: Help with suspension and other parts

My Cars
    840ci/540i/540i Touring

Help with suspension and other parts

1) Right under my heavily scared spoiler and next to each front tire is what looks like a plastic square-ish box??--that's the only way I can describe it. Anyway, what are those? On the driver's side, there is an air hose that goes above it and into the engine. What is that hose for?

2) what is that long, almost straight metal thing? Is that the sway bar? At both ends, it looks like some sort of coupling with rubber bushings? Those looked cracked and worn. Do I replace the entire set up or just the rubber parts?

My apologies for such rudimentary sounding questions. I am new to all this fun stuff. For every 10 minutes of "mechanic" stuff I do it was preceded by 10 hours of YouTube videos IMG_8305.JPGIMG_8306.JPG

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    Sounds like you're on the right track, any old dry or cracked rubber bushings should def. be changed. Most of the time you can buy/replace just the bushing but there are some BMW parts you may need to buy with bushings already pressed in (some of the 3 series bushings i can think of.)

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    Sway Bar you replace the two rubber pieces that attach to the subframe. Just unbolt it and get rubber piece off. Can't remember what it attaches to at the ends though.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    The “box” you are referring to is part of the engine air intake system. That is the lowest part of a very big plastic piece that crosses the entire front end of the car under the headlamps. Air enters the front grill, passes down through the airbox then up through the filters and into the throttle bodies. The hose on the driver’s side feeds air to the alternator for cooling. This big, serpentine plastic box is often broken. It can be repaired, but you must remove the nose of the car.
    The front sway bar attaches to each wheel hub with heim joint links. It is easily removed (on the front) if you need to change the bushes.
    Best wishes

Mark in mid-MO
    1993 BMW 850Ci 6-speed
    2011 Cadi CTS coupe 6-speed

My Cars
    840ci/540i/540i Touring
    Fantastic! THANKS for the info!