Thread: 323i Upgrade Recommendations

My Cars
    323i

323i Upgrade Recommendations

Hi everyone! 1st post ever, please be gentle.

I have a '99 323i w/ manual transmission, 135k miles. Before you say the best thing I can do is sell and get a 328 or 330, well... that's not an option. This is the 1st car I ever bought, I've had others but this one stuck. It's dear to me and I won't ever sell it.

It's 100% stock and extremely well maintained (oil every 5k + cooling system, water pump/thermostat, head gasket, control arms, spark plugs, motor mounts... you name it, I've done it). That said, it is a bit tired so I would like to hear your suggestion on what I can do on a 2-3k budget. I want to have fun with it, not entice competition I can't handle.

I'm in the bay area so going to Dinan @ Mountain View is an option. What I have in mind so far is a cat-back exhaust + software upgrade, what else can I do? Is CAI worth it?

I know more than the average woman about cars but nada about performance upgrades... just looking to get an honest opinion from you guys.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Gabby86; 03-19-2019 at 05:35 PM.

My Cars
    04 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabby86 View Post
    Hi everyone! 1st post ever, please be gentle.

I have a '99 323i w/ manual transmission, 135k miles. Before you say the best thing I can do is sell and get a 328 or 330, well... that's not an option. This is the 1st car I ever bought, I've had others but this one stuck. It's dear to me and I won't ever sell it.

It's 100% stock and extremely well maintained (oil every 5k + cooling system, water pump/thermostat, head gasket, control arms, spark plugs, motor mounts... you name it, I've done it). That said, it is a bit tired so I would like to hear your suggestion on what I can do on a 2-3k budget. I want to have fun with it, not entice competition I can't handle.

I'm in the bay area so going to Dinan @ Mountain View is an option. What I have in mind so far is a cat-back exhaust + software upgrade, what else can I do? Is CAI worth it?

I know more than the average woman about cars but nada about performance upgrades... just looking to get an honest opinion from you guys.

Thank you!
    Cai isnt bad but dont expect noticable gains you may see a bit of throttle response, software isnt a bad option but again your not feel a whole lot maybe a bit more. Honestly I would look into a oil separator as these are direct injection engines (or atleast as far as I know) that will increase the life of your motor and help with mpg as well as over time keep the power more stable as it will help reduce or slow carbon build up on the back of the intake valves. I'm still rather new to BMWs just recently bought one so I could be wrong. If so just ignore lol.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    First of all replace your VANOS seals and get back all of the performance that the worn seal have stolen.

Consider doing an inlet manifold swap. Use one from a 325 (M54 engine). You'll notice the difference when you put the foot down, not from massive HP gains (there are some but not massive) but from improved and faster air flows. I have one of these on my E46 323.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The fact that in todays age, you can drive a Manual, plenty of respect from me.

The best bang for your buck would be to swap the diff out. Currently there is a 3.07 in there, so a 3.46 would make that car very lively. If you don't drive over say 85 MPH all the time, it won't really rev out the motor.

Cat back and software is a good place to go as well, but like noted above, you may only get 10-15 hp out of it. VANOS seals is a maintenance item if you have 100k or more on the car.

The stock airbox is a cold air intake, just look at where it is pulling the air from, now if you want to put in a different air filter, do not get an oiled one. Look for a dry charged style filter, an oil filter can foul the MAF.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The M52/M54 engines don’t have direct injection. The injectors are in the intake manifold.

Definitely see if the VANOS seals have been replaced as noted above. Also, check the records for the replacement of the crankcase ventilation system (CCV). The CCV was designed by an engines who’d been fired by Audi.

As far as performance gains, these engines, like all modern BMW engines, are highly tuned when they leave the factory. Mod’ing the software won’t give you much more power. CAI’s are a waste of money. Instead, join the Golden Gate Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America, and learn how to drive your car like it wants to be driven.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    The most effective upgrade by far is an M54B30. It is a big job but you will reap the benefits. Save your money on intake and exhaust, you will gain next to nothing. Software might be worth doing, the M52TU does pick up a little bit from that.

My Cars
    323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    First of all replace your VANOS seals and get back all of the performance that the worn seal have stolen.

Consider doing an inlet manifold swap. Use one from a 325 (M54 engine). You'll notice the difference when you put the foot down, not from massive HP gains (there are some but not massive) but from improved and faster air flows. I have one of these on my E46 323.
    Muzz258, I'll def check the VANOS seals, you and others mentioned it. I did some research here and the intake manifold swap should run approx. $500, sounds right?

My Cars
    323i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    The fact that in todays age, you can drive a Manual, plenty of respect from me.

The best bang for your buck would be to swap the diff out. Currently there is a 3.07 in there, so a 3.46 would make that car very lively. If you don't drive over say 85 MPH all the time, it won't really rev out the motor.

Cat back and software is a good place to go as well, but like noted above, you may only get 10-15 hp out of it. VANOS seals is a maintenance item if you have 100k or more on the car.

The stock airbox is a cold air intake, just look at where it is pulling the air from, now if you want to put in a different air filter, do not get an oiled one. Look for a dry charged style filter, an oil filter can foul the MAF.
    dworthy, first, thank you! It pains me that BMW only offers standard on the M... I'll 100% look into the diff swap. A 323 is a 323, I'm not trying to make it something it's not... but you nailed it, I do want to make it more lively. The cat-back I'm committed to already, purely for the fun factor... and the software update, well that's just a low hanging fruit that won't eat a chunk of my budget.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Most quality software upgrades are $250 to $400, and just plug into the OBD-II connector under the dash. Don't try to get something from an unknown, stick with these guys Dinan, Alpina, Turner, ect.

Like noted above, you can make it a more enjoyable car to drive, when you train the driver, ​so I would look at the Local BMWCCA chapter for this.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    You may have done this, but refreshing the entire shift linkage with a short shifter was a very pleasing upgrade. Just made shifting more snappy