Thread: Camshaft position sensor frequent failure

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i

Camshaft position sensor frequent failure

Hello everyone
    I recently did replacement of timing chain guides , after few weeks on , the engine is knocking , stalling after hot start and has decrease power .
    by using inpa there is fault code of camshaft sensor , I replaced it with used good one ( IMG_2848.jpg ) the car runs great but after about 2 weeks it starts to knock and lastly stall
    the code also shows cam sensor .
    I see the wiring it appears very good but I do not know what is the plastic end is these wires shows in images ?

Lastly is it a bad luck or there is another problem regarding the cam sensor ? IMG_2846.jpgIMG_2847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by haydar alameen; 03-19-2019 at 04:06 PM.

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    I have no issues with engine starting and running, but while ago I started getting CPS sensor error when diagnosing the car. Each time the error is cleared it comes back straight away.
    What I did, I have purchased brand new OEM BMW CPS sensor and replaced it, but the error is still appearing.I get error as below.

Camshaft Position Sensor - value not plausible.

I do not really know what to check next. Any ideal folks?

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    The OP needs to check the adaptation values and other data as explained here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Diagnostics.htm

....as knocking is very unlikely to be caused by the camshaft sensor - much more likely to be due to a blocked catalytic converter.

Where you get a 'Camshaft Position Sensor - value not plausible' error it more likely to be due to a camshaft timing error
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post

....as knocking is very unlikely to be caused by the camshaft sensor - much more likely to be due to a blocked catalytic converter.

Where you get a 'Camshaft Position Sensor - value not plausible' error it more likely to be due to a camshaft timing error
    I read the code of cps but not sure about pulsation I will photograph the german terms , the knocking after guides replacement not precent . It appears after a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Could be timing wheel issue as well, considering that you just did the guides. I would put the engine in TDC and check the timing wheel thru the inspection holes on the upper timing covers.

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Would that mean engine needs timing done? Or is there any other way to solve this?

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i

Camshaft position sensor frequent failure

IMG_2853.jpg
    Here is the error

The adaptation values are bank 1 : -1 additive ,+ 5 multiplicative bank 2 :- 2 additive , + 7 multiplicative

Last edited by haydar alameen; 03-20-2019 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i

The third sensor has the same issue , works fine for one day ( no codes ) then the car dies after each start with the previous code .

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Update on my post above: I believe I have fixed the issue by refitting the sensor. Today in the morning I went to the garage and inspected how CPS was fitted and it appears, that bolt was not tighened enough, there were about 2mm of the screww thread left and seal of the sensr itself was visible. So I have removed the sensor, fitted it properly and tightened the bolt so that there no gap left. Drove the car for a day and scanned with INPA in the evening. Fault code was gone and did not appear again.

Conclusion - camshaft position sensor is very sensitive to fitting and even 2mm tolerance in tighening it is not allowed. Happy with that

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by exeed View Post
    Update on my post above: I believe I have fixed the issue by refitting the sensor. Today in the morning I went to the garage and inspected how CPS was fitted and it appears, that bolt was not tighened enough, there were about 2mm of the screww thread left and seal of the sensr itself was visible. So I have removed the sensor, fitted it properly and tightened the bolt so that there no gap left. Drove the car for a day and scanned with INPA in the evening. Fault code was gone and did not appear again.

Conclusion - camshaft position sensor is very sensitive to fitting and even 2mm tolerance in tighening it is not allowed. Happy with that
    Nice review I will try this and inform you

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Quote Originally Posted by haydar alameen View Post
    Nice review I will try this and inform you
    Pictures alwys speak million times more than words.

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by exeed View Post
    Pictures alwys speak million times more than words.

Unfortunately it dose not work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Could be timing wheel issue as well, considering that you just did the guides. I would put the engine in TDC and check the timing wheel thru the inspection holes on the upper timing covers.
    I visit the mechanic shop , regarding the timing there is no any error , the plate is in correct position

My Cars
    2000 750iL, 1989 320i
    Did you find out the problem?