Thread: Advice on a OBD2 scanner for F10, Foxwell NT510 doesn't work

My Cars
    04 Z4, 13 535i

Advice on a OBD2 scanner for F10, Foxwell NT510 doesn't work

Good Morning All,

I bought a Foxwell NT510 OBDII scanner to see what fault the car was throwing for passenger airbag (and fix and reset). So I was sent 2 of these (supposed to be compatible) and when trying to scan the airbag module (and others) I get No communication. I tried everything but neither one works. So...I am in the market for a scanner to read fault and fix problems myself. Any suggestions? I appreciate it!

My Cars
    04 Z4, 13 535i
    Anyone with an F10 use a scanner??

My Cars
    04 Z4, 13 535i
    What about the AutoDiag tool or the Rheingold one they have on ebay?? Any experience?

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by eman67 View Post
    Good Morning All,

I bought a Foxwell NT510 OBDII scanner to see what fault the car was throwing for passenger airbag (and fix and reset). So I was sent 2 of these (supposed to be compatible) and when trying to scan the airbag module (and others) I get No communication. I tried everything but neither one works. So...I am in the market for a scanner to read fault and fix problems myself. Any suggestions? I appreciate it!
    I got a Centech #60794 from Harbor Frieght and it works ok. I think it was around $100 and they don't make it anymore, or maybe it's superseded by a newer model, but there are some pre-owned and a couple new ones on eBay.

My Cars
    04 Z4, 13 535i
    Thanks for the reply! I may look into that one. I have been doing a bit of reading on that Rheingold ISTA program...I would love to be able to diagnose as much as possible without it being to complex. I may bite the bullet on this and see. I want something that is fairly intuitive.

My Cars
    Bmw F10
    I just bought the Fox well NT510 Bmw for my F10 battery register and coding features. I HAD THE SAME ISSUE AS YOU! First off make sure the cars ignition is on! Does not hurt to hit start/stop again after a few minutes. MY ISSUE WAS IT KEPT STATING THIS ACTION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR CAR?! I.E ECU, CAS ETC. I believe I found the answer.

Plug in nt510. Perform an auto scan. After auto scan select ALL reports and view! *CLICK SAVE* •Even if x test found no fault• It will download thousands of files at this point. BE PATIENT. THEN IT WILL OPEN UP OTHER CERTAIN APPLICATIONS AND ACTIONS YOU CAN PERFORM! I hope this helps. I kept backing out thinking saving the downloads from my car to obd tool were for as card access at a later time. It seems to learn your car in and out and applies this to all functions. So ones that may not have been available will be after the scan and save! As far as the power that happened a lot to me. Hook a trickle charger to your car is what I done. Considering sitting with ignition on and doing diagnostic the voltage pull is outrageous ESPECIALLY when car is not running the alternator!

I hope this helps!!! If you find anything you find interesting or a test or code that helps out let me know
    please. I’ve only had mine a week!
    J. Stewart
    U.S. Marine Vet
    Bmw F10

My Cars
    2014 528i
    I recently picked up a Foxwell NT520 Pro from ebay. $135 shipped. I haven't had time to do much with it yet, but by quick test of it tells me it will reach all the modules, etc. as advertised.

My Cars
    2014 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl.Stew View Post
    I just bought the Fox well NT510 Bmw for my F10 battery register and coding features. I HAD THE SAME ISSUE AS YOU! First off make sure the cars ignition is on! Does not hurt to hit start/stop again after a few minutes. MY ISSUE WAS IT KEPT STATING THIS ACTION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR CAR?! I.E ECU, CAS ETC. I believe I found the answer.

Plug in nt510. Perform an auto scan. After auto scan select ALL reports and view! *CLICK SAVE* •Even if x test found no fault• It will download thousands of files at this point. BE PATIENT. THEN IT WILL OPEN UP OTHER CERTAIN APPLICATIONS AND ACTIONS YOU CAN PERFORM! I hope this helps. I kept backing out thinking saving the downloads from my car to obd tool were for as card access at a later time. It seems to learn your car in and out and applies this to all functions. So ones that may not have been available will be after the scan and save! As far as the power that happened a lot to me. Hook a trickle charger to your car is what I done. Considering sitting with ignition on and doing diagnostic the voltage pull is outrageous ESPECIALLY when car is not running the alternator!

I hope this helps!!! If you find anything you find interesting or a test or code that helps out let me know
    please. I’ve only had mine a week!
    This.
    I just went in to do rear brakes on the '14 528i. While when I first received the NT520 Pro, it easily automatically read the VIN and other stuff, it now acted much as Cpl. Stew described. I wound up going through a labyrinth of menus after first manually selecting the vehicle type. Afterwards, it seemed to read everything perfectly (curiously also including the VIN). I found the protocol for rear brake service, which had various service options. Following the step-by-step instructions given by the device, I was able to spin back the EPB, replace the pads and restore the EPB back to proper position afterwards. My current impression (until I have further occasions to use it) is that it is somewhat quirky and there's a bit of a learning curve as to the device itself. I'll post again when I know more.

My Cars
    00 540i, 11' X5 50i
    What about CArly?? I used it on my X5 with no issues and plan to use it on my 2016 535i. Should work just as well.

Current:
    2016 BMW 535i xDrive
    2017 Volvo XC60
    2000 BMW 540i

Past:
    2012 Audi A4 S-Line
    2011 BMW X5 50i
    2010 Mercedes ML350
    2002 Lexus IS300
    1998 Audi A6 Quattro
    1988 Honda Prelude