RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Bent Valves, Exhaust Side

My Cars
    97 M3, 97 328i, 95 318ti

Bent Valves, Exhaust Side

So today the machine shop told me that my exhaust side valves were bent in a S bend. which looked like they bent and something or someone bent back to make them work. There was no noise or any engine problems, no misfire, no low compression, not even a check engine light. nothing!!! so when i heard this i couldn’t believe it, so i’m here to see what people can see what went wrong maybe, or something that happened while i was pulling off.

Thanks!

My Cars
    Valves don't just bent, unless they hit something like the top of the piston. And once they're bent, there is no fixing them. Why is your head at the machine shop anyway? Overheating?

If you set the head down on the mating surface, with the cams still in place, it is possible you bent them. With the cams in place, some of the valves would be open. In theory, if the cams were out of the head, all the valves would have been closed and wouldn't be possible to bend any.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C.B.I.M.M.E.R View Post
    So today the machine shop told me that my exhaust side valves were bent in a S bend. which looked like they bent and something or someone bent back to make them work. There was no noise or any engine problems, no misfire, no low compression, not even a check engine light. nothing!!! so when i heard this i couldn’t believe it, so i’m here to see what people can see what went wrong maybe, or something that happened while i was pulling off.

Thanks!
    No way that engine ran well with bent valves. So, why is it dismantled and at the machine shop?
    Valves "bent back to make them work" What is your machinist smoking?
    To answer what I think is your question. How did this happen? The engine was over revved.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    A mechanical over rev is possible, and I agree that the engine would not run perfectly unless maybe the bend was very minor. It is also possible the OP damaged the exhaust valves when removing the head if he rotated either the cams or crank while the timing chain was not connecting them.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-19-2019 at 01:05 PM.