Thread: Engine Swap in the VERY VERY NEAR FUTURE!

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i

Exclamation Engine Swap in the VERY VERY NEAR FUTURE!

WHAT IS UP EVERYONE! I know I will be getting some serious shade from others about this...BUT...the original plan was to swap in the M20 2.7 and stroke that Bihh out. Since my daily vehicle is gone and I am no longer making payments on it and have recieved some coin for it,
    We will be swapping a K24/K20 paired to a BMW ZF manual tranny. The K24's stock pump out 200hp, while the M10 barely has 100hp...And then adding on HP to the Honda will be much better.
    REMEMBER ------> This is going to be a street/track build as well so keeping it a Four banger will be great because its saving weight, adding more HP, and is more reliable since it is a Honda after all. (But things can happen regardless of how reliable stuff is, especially when you hammer on your car all day and night)
    So the E21 will be down for a little while but the video's that my best friend, neighbor and I will be making will be worth the wait. Stay tuned for more everyone.

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002
    Excited to see this!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '78 320i
    K24 is such an interesting platform. I know of one individual doing this swap and that's about it. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1978 320i
    I’m doing a K24 swap right now! My build will not be for track though unfortunately! It’ll be a “show and go” build lol. Should be finishing up my rear end overhaul this weekend! Looking forward to seeing your build too!

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by AndronPrime View Post
    I’m doing a K24 swap right now! My build will not be for track though unfortunately! It’ll be a “show and go” build lol. Should be finishing up my rear end overhaul this weekend! Looking forward to seeing your build too!
    Awesome man!! What are you doing for the rear end? Keeping the stock E21 subframe or going E30 subframe? I understand ya for wanting it to be a "show and go" Will be a little rocket!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    K24 is such an interesting platform. I know of one individual doing this swap and that's about it. Good luck and keep us up to date.

It is isnt it! Appreciate it alot, I will definitely keep you all posted!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by builtinbetter View Post
    Excited to see this!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Cant wait for you all to see what becomes of it!!

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by NeltronZE21 View Post
    Awesome man!! What are you doing for the rear end? Keeping the stock E21 subframe or going E30 subframe? I understand ya for wanting it to be a "show and go" Will be a little rocket!
    Actually I built a tubular subframe out of a jig I made using the E28 subframe! It isn't the final product that I will be using but I will be test fitting it soon! Figured I would need a medium case diff for the k24 power. I also am using e34 trailing arms from a 525i. It's slowly coming together. I am waiting for my gopro to come in and school to give me some time so I can start making some better quality videos. I also don't think people care much for the rear end work. They may be more interested when the work on the swap starts. Honestly can't wait to see your videos!

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Share any and all work... The more work I'm doing the more interested I get in a this personally.

The more stuff like this is shared the more interest the e21 platform gets.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    I hadn't heard of the K24 engine before.. roller rockers and DOHC.. looks like the weight is comparable to the M10.. interesting!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

500hp naturally aspirated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFrFudg7eM

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I hadn't heard of the K24 engine before.. roller rockers and DOHC.. looks like the weight is comparable to the M10.. interesting!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

500hp naturally aspirated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFrFudg7eM
    4P makes some nasty engines!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    Share any and all work... The more work I'm doing the more interested I get in a this personally.

The more stuff like this is shared the more interest the e21 platform gets.

Will do brotha! It will be a process but that's what is fun about it, getting to see what works and doesn't work as well as custom modifications to make things fit and or work properly!! CREATIVITY!!!! That's the magical ingredient!!….next to money lol

My Cars
    galant vr4 S13
    K series FTMFW, i have to build and tune a lot of K series engine for all sorts of applications and they are hands down one of the best designed 4 cylinders readily available to the public for a fair price. **Just be sure you use a K series head with the "lost motion" set up as those heads offer a MUCH better platform to work with.
    Making more than ~260whp NA gets $$$ but a stock K series long block will also make 400whp on any decently designed turbo kit without any problems. I've also pushed stock K series well past the 400 mark, ~600hp and the stock rods will eventually bend

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by tunermt View Post
    K series FTMFW, i have to build and tune a lot of K series engine for all sorts of applications and they are hands down one of the best designed 4 cylinders readily available to the public for a fair price. **Just be sure you use a K series head with the "lost motion" set up as those heads offer a MUCH better platform to work with.
    Making more than ~260whp NA gets $$$ but a stock K series long block will also make 400whp on any decently designed turbo kit without any problems. I've also pushed stock K series well past the 400 mark, ~600hp and the stock rods will eventually bend

I'll admit have been intrigued by K24 swaps. Kmiata is common and 4P engines has been discussed even on the M3tech S14power forums hp/L. It's a legit platform even if not a BMW. Some will argue about cost for same $ can do a 6cyl swap, but that's not the point. It's packaging and weight with hp/lb/$. The K24 or (2.5L upgrade) checks a lot of boxes for a road racer :o) To me it's like a version of a hayabusa swap that actually makes sense. Compact ltw modern 4pot with NA and boosted potential.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    rocket rice

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Maybe I should have looked in to a k24 swap over m42....

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    I've been wanting to do a k24 swap for quite some time, but the amount of stuff that needs modified or tweaked stacks up fast. The m42 was the easy/cheap button so that's the direction I went. There are a couple guys developing swap kits for the e30, so there is some possible parts crossover that could alleviate some swap headaches. I'm still keeping my eyes open for someone to finish the swap and share all the dirty details it takes to make a functional driver though. The Speed Academy series on swapping one into a 240sx makes me think it's not without headaches.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
    I've been wanting to do a k24 swap for quite some time, but the amount of stuff that needs modified or tweaked stacks up fast. The m42 was the easy/cheap button so that's the direction I went. There are a couple guys developing swap kits for the e30, so there is some possible parts crossover that could alleviate some swap headaches. I'm still keeping my eyes open for someone to finish the swap and share all the dirty details it takes to make a functional driver though. The Speed Academy series on swapping one into a 240sx makes me think it's not without headaches.
    From track junkie eyes I see the main hurdle as oiling. The K is meant to run horizontal. Even with full baffles and trap doors for the chain cover gap (all oil goes under braking) and full surrounded baffles on the better type S pump+pickup there's still oil pressure drops that throw red flags with a RWD swap for track use. One of the main reasons I look over the swap honestly. Only way to keep 300ish hp Kswap to survive on track is a dry sump setup. Adds about $5K to the swap. Still cheaper than a hot S14 though with easy to source parts. Unlike most S14 items being NLA today. BTW S14 blocks aren't available anymore. . . end of an era.

Yeah even the 240sx swap SA did they baffled the shit out of it. So I actually thought issues in RWD were past. Nope they still had nasty pressure drops on track.It won't live long in their configuration IMO.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    From track junkie eyes I see the main hurdle as oiling. The K is meant to run horizontal. Even with full baffles and trap doors for the chain cover gap (all oil goes under braking) and full surrounded baffles on the better type S pump+pickup there's still oil pressure drops that throw red flags with a RWD swap for track use. One of the main reasons I look over the swap honestly. Only way to keep 300ish hp Kswap to survive on track is a dry sump setup. Adds about $5K to the swap. Still cheaper than a hot S14 though with easy to source parts. Unlike most S14 items being NLA today. BTW S14 blocks aren't available anymore. . . end of an era.

Yeah even the 240sx swap SA did they baffled the shit out of it. So I actually thought issues in RWD were past. Nope they still had nasty pressure drops on track.It won't live long in their configuration IMO.
    I have also watched the SA series. That is what inspired me for my show and go build. I share you same concerns for swapping a K series into a track focused car. I haven't seen many bad reports on the Kmiata swaps so I am sure you can make it consistent enough to work. In my case, for a non-track focused build I think it should work.

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Powerful small engines in light weight buckets are the way to go!!! These 3 videos that you posted are great!