Thread: #driveaway (My Mercedes to BMW moment)

My Cars
    1997 540i (97 Benz c230)

#driveaway (My Mercedes to BMW moment)

Hi forum.
    I listed for it. Bought a pretty beat up 97 540i black/black Sport w BBS from a fellow musician three years ago. I’d say that one was a 5.5/6 overall with many issues to be tackled. Learned a ton about e39’s and the M62 by watching EVERY SINGLE VIDEO I could find.. Realizing that the cost/return was abysmal, I sold it to the wrecker for $400 and called it a day. Knowing now what to look for, I wanted a pre-vanos engine with the timing chain guides done as well as fastidious cooling system maintenance. I found (a high mileage) 1997 Arctic Silver winter package grey/wood interior automatic that was in excellent shape for a Canadian car. I’ve bought the headlights (OEM) from 2002 with ballasts and LED conversion and a new set of 16” Michelins on double 10 spoke alloys and am awaiting parts for brakes and thermostat (intermittent, now motionless at 0 degrees.) and a sensor I guess.
    Theees a car fax I’m thinking of investing in to see if at 300,000 km the transmission filter and fluid change was done when the timing chain guides. There are 36 entries in the Carfax report apparently so perhaps always dealer serviced.

I’d like any and all advice about the M62 pre-facelift e39’s as I’m a Mercedes guy with a penchance for 1996-2000 German cars, post OBD and pre idrive/computer overload. Mechanical, Teutonic engineering before big brother took the wheel. My c230 has been so good to me but this 540 will be thoroughly enjoyed.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-18-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: watch the profanity

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    A "nice" BMW dealer could tell you what maintenance was done by a BMW dealer.
    idrive didn't start until 2004, IIRC.