Thread: dye vert soft top

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American

dye vert soft top

Has anyone tried to dye their soft top a different color?? mine is tan and I would like it dark blue. I hate to replace it because it's in pretty good shape. I've painted vinyl tops before with success and dyed floor carpets, but never canvas.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Drive with the top down and it doesn’t matter what color it is��! Enjoy and Welcome to the Z3 world!

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by stangit66 View Post
    Has anyone tried to dye their soft top a different color?? mine is tan and I would like it dark blue. I hate to replace it because it's in pretty good shape. I've painted vinyl tops before with success and dyed floor carpets, but never canvas.
    Best to check with an upholstery shop which does tops. They would be able to tell you if it is possible and if it is possible possible they can give you an estimate. If it is possible, then you can decide if you want to do it yourself or if the price is low enough to let an expert do it for you.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    I remember people trying this back in my Jeep days, you might have some more luck googling something like "dye Jeep soft top". I would think it's the same thing, canvas tops and all.

My Cars
    '02 BMW Z3 2.5
    Bad idea

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Has anyone tried to dye their soft top a different color?? ... I've painted vinyl tops before... but never canvas.
    Our tops are Haartz Twillfast, a laminate of which the top layer is solution dyed woven acrylic fabric.
    http://www.haartz.com/products/twillfast-iv
    I suppose canvas applies to any woven fabric, but I have no idea how Twillfast would respond to painting. I would try to ask Haartz.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1964 Rambler American
    thanks to all. I will try this weekend to color it and post it. If it turns out bad I will do what mroadyjpl said and leave the top down.