Thread: Wanting an e60 m5 vs and e39 or f10

My Cars
    e21 320i e60 550i

Wanting an e60 m5 vs and e39 or f10

Hello all,

Ive been doing mainly on research on the e60 m5 as i own a e60 550i and am wanting to make the jump. Ive been looking at issues with the m5 and around what avg milage the maintenace or issue that occured has happened @. So a little bit of a background, i work at a bmw dealer in phoenix (temporarily as i drive semis over the road, just took a break to get a little bit of experience) and my father does as well as a service advisor (i just do demos and emissions). After speaking with my father and all the techs that have worked there (mind you an e60 m5 is more rare to come through work now) they have all said theyve only seen one rod bearing replacment happen and its not common, however every forum i read states this is a huge issue? So i guess here are my questions.

Are rod bearings actually very faulty in these engines?
    All the smg issues wont matter to me as im going with a standard (if I can find one, I refuse to buy an smg e60), are there really any known trans issues with a standard?
    Is 22k for a standard 2007 m5 a fair price with 42k miles?
    I was told the only major issue is going to be vanos pumps and actuators which im assuming is very true (research)
    What are common issues you hate about your m5 (little things like interior)?
    Lastly (for now) is it even worth making a jump to a m5 instead of a 550i (besides the obvious engine upgrade and the M badge)?

thanks,
    andrew

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hello; I have an E63 manual, if that's something you would consider comparing to. I did a rod bearing change on my engine just as a preventive measure, also did catless headers and reflash. it turns out my bearings could have gone 100,000 miles easily. Depends on the previous owners and abuse. There are NO issues with a manual ZF mated to the V10, you'll love it.
    My car had 75,000 when I did my rod bearing change. No issues with the VANOS.
    Throttle actuators are the main reason why many cars are sold. an easy $900 2 day fix for a newcomer YOUTUBE guided diy. I did mine on a weekend. Got mine from MPerformance (Waheed is the NICEST guy you can meet. Helped me even before the sale).
    There is BIG difference between a 550 and an M5: engine, brake calipers, rotors, suspension, power, etc. You will always be left with the feeling... could have done W A Y better...
    $22,000 for a 2007 42k mile car is a steal if the car has been well maintained. Check the oil changes, signs of clutch abuse, etc.
    Think of it this way: in 2019: where can you buy a V10 6 sp car for under $200,000?? For that matter, where can you buy anything with over 500 hp with a 6 sp anywhere?
    Bite the bullet and enjoy the ride. These babies are not going to last forever.

PS I live in Las Cruces, NM. Welcome anytime.
    Last edited by jvsantosmd; 03-22-2019 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    2008 BMW M5 SMGII
    I went to an 08 M5 from an 06 545, and I am really happy after two years. The M5 is much, much faster and has tighter handling. What I wasn't prepared for is the lower gas mileage - 12 to 13 mpg for the M5 vs 19+ for the 545. Ah well, performance isn't free.