Thread: IRP shifter experience?

My Cars
    E90M3

IRP shifter experience?

I've recently installed an IRP shifter into a 95 e36m3 track car (solid engine and trans mounts) and I must say I'm less than happy with it at the moment. Just seeing what experiences (if any) others have had with IRP v3 self centering shifter specifically. I've worked with CAE and RTD in other cars (love them both). Figured the IRP would be similar, but so far it is my least favorite.

Any feedback is appreciated.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    You haven’t explained why.

The V3 standard I installed for a customer was more enjoyable than I was willing to initially give it credit for. The experience was only ruined by the addition of very expensive “racing” pedals that made everything clumsy.

Anyone thinking of running one on a street car should know they rattle and transmit all driveline noise. They are comfortable to use, but not tolerable in the noise department. Refreshed transmissions are a MUST. The shift selector joint with a fresh foam bushing is critical.

My Cars
    E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    You haven’t explained why.

The V3 standard I installed for a customer was more enjoyable than I was willing to initially give it credit for. The experience was only ruined by the addition of very expensive “racing” pedals that made everything clumsy.

Anyone thinking of running one on a street car should know they rattle and transmit all driveline noise. They are comfortable to use, but not tolerable in the noise department. Refreshed transmissions are a MUST. The shift selector joint with a fresh foam bushing is critical.
    thats good advise on the refresh transmission/bushings. I've street driven my CAE shifter for the better part of 3 years now without any complaints (would prefer it actually). The IRP, I cant recommend it. For anyone thinking of getting one, I would save for something else.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    What braymond said, what are the specific issues? It's not going to be as nice as CAE for less than half the price, but I had considered it for a honda chassis race car which has far more slop than any BMW shifter.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    I put in an IRP last year and wasn’t initially impressed by the return spring being “powerful” in one direction and not as much in the other. The shift action is very good when driving and provides a very notchy feel with an extremely short throw which I like. The button for reverse is also very very cool and makes it really easy to use on the street. And it’s black which makes it blend into the interior nicely. I don’t experience any added noise from the shifter I must say, but I do run poly engine mounts, which send though some “engine grunt”. My tranny mounts are OEM.

My main reason for upgrading from a UUC short shifter was to avoid money shifting as I felt the UUC shifter had a lot of play which I think is inherent in the basic design of the BMW shift linkage. However I have shifted to the wrong gear with the IRP twice on track so it does not cure that (When reporting this to IRP they said this was also possible with a CAE). This could maybe be alleviated by adjusting the screws in the side of the shifter to give a little more room to get into fifth which I will try out when I have it on the road again.

I wish I had known about the CAE and the direction I was going from day one as I would have spent a little less on a CAE than on a UUC + an IRP. But that’s just my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk