RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Wiper blade chatter e39

My Cars
    2001 525it

Wiper blade chatter e39

Recently I thought there was something more going on with my chattering wiper blades because I didn't think they were that old so just replaced them with Bosch twin 539 wipers and they were as quiet as a mouse, how great it is not to have the chatter. So if yours are chattering look for the exact wording on the box mentioned above

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I wish I could, my friend. The E39 has a wiper design that does not accept any new style (excellent) blades. All I can do is replace with stock.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 525it
    They are direct replacement blades the name does not mean there twin Blades that's just the name I don't know why, but I gave the name that was on the box it's exactly the same blade

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Chattering wipers usually means that the glass surface has uneven slickness. That is, the blade passes over sections of the glass easier than other sections.

Bon-Ami to the rescue. Clean the windshield thoroughly with a cleaner of 60% water, 20% alcohol, 20% vinegar and a bit of dishwashing liquid. Use old cotton towels to dry. Use a random orbit buffer and bon-ami to thoroughly smooth out the surface of the windshield. Caution is required as the stuff will heat up.

Clean the windshield again with the watery mixture. Dry again with cotton towels.

Soak a paper towel (PT) with water, and squeeze out most of the water. Fold the PT twice. Spray Rain-X onto the PT. Spray one-half of the windshield with a single spray of Rain-X. Wipe the PT circularly across the half of the windshield. Replenish the Rain-X as neededto ensure a complete coverage with a very thin coat of Rain-X. Repeat for the other half of the windshield. Wait for the Rain-X to fully haze up. Re-apply a very thin coat of Rain-X using the same process. Park the car in direct sunlight for 2 hours. This will thoroughly dry the Rain-X. Buff the windshield with the random orbital buffer.

Worx for me.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I just use plain old Rain-X on all the glass, keeps things cleaner IMO. What I have noticed is that if you do this on a new/newish car, there won't be any burnt in water spots as long as you keep the glass treated. If you do get a car with water spots, Marc has described the best way to get them off.

As for the wiper blades, I just typically buy the inserts from BMW for about 15 bucks a pair, and new every 3-4 years as the frames tend to last that long.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Look for corrosion from dissimilar metals of the "hinge" at the wiper arm's base which causes it to bind up not applying enough pressure. Some penetrating oil and exercising the joint cures it for me.
    I've not been able to buy inserts here for a while and the OE blades, even with a friend discount, are expensive. Anco 22-21SL & 22-26SL are direct fit and at least as good as OE.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-18-2019 at 11:23 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue