Thread: Tonneau Motor Stays On

My Cars
    2002 325Ci

Tonneau Motor Stays On

Fully automatic 1999 convertible 328i.

Problem -- after resetting the convertible computer (disengaging motors, reengaging them, holding the 'up' position on the convertible switch with the ignition in 2nd position) the tonneau motor stays on and keeps spinning, and BENT and broke the rod that connects to the lid cover.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGM...ature=youtu.be

I don't think it is supposed to keep spinning like this. I imagine there is a sensor broken somewhere that the computer is not recognizing.
    If I reinstall the parts, it will just break again. There must be a problem with the computer or a sensor somewhere... help!

Some background -- When I press the top down button, the top begins the normal process (roof lifts, then the back of the roof comes up) but the lid does not come up because I have it disengaged since the motor is on the fritz.

What are my steps of action? Is there another way to reset the computer? Are there sensors that I should check?

Thank you!!!!!

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    There is a hall effect in the tonneau motor itself. It limits the movement. You need to replace the motor. I have motors if needed $140 to your door. PM me if needed.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci
    Thanks for your response. I went to the junkyard and picked up an old tonneau motor yesterday, and it too seems to stay running. I am going to deduce that it too is broken, and that there is not a problem with my car's computer. I will try to find another motor at the junkyard and if no luck, I will take you up on your offer.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    That's odd that the other motor is doing the same thing. There is no dip switch anywhere on the car that would tell the module that the motor is finished it's operation. Make sure that the wiring going to and leaving the motor is not pinched in any way. The motor should be sending a signal to the module that the sequence is finished.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci
    Hi all, so I went to the junkyard and found a third motor (lucky find), and that one seems to be working well. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkAv...ature=youtu.be

I imagine that this tonneau motor is a common problem in E36's, and it was hard to find a working one (I bought 3 in total with only one working, for an average of $20 each) but I eventually did.

I am having a new problem, which is that the convertible top bottom (the section with the window) is not lifting up completely, and I have to pull the third bar of the convertible top back in order to get the top to pull back all the way so the tonneau lid can lift.

Any advice? This video shows my exact problem (found it on youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZaxr-h_D6w
    (Notice how they have to pull back the third bar to get it to clear).

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWilkens View Post
    Hi all, so I went to the junkyard and found a third motor (lucky find), and that one seems to be working well. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkAv...ature=youtu.be

I imagine that this tonneau motor is a common problem in E36's, and it was hard to find a working one (I bought 3 in total with only one working, for an average of $20 each) but I eventually did.

I am having a new problem, which is that the convertible top bottom (the section with the window) is not lifting up completely, and I have to pull the third bar of the convertible top back in order to get the top to pull back all the way so the tonneau lid can lift.

Any advice? This video shows my exact problem (found it on youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZaxr-h_D6w
    (Notice how they have to pull back the third bar to get it to clear).
    Second most common problem. There are 2 tension straps that run the length of the top from front to back. There job is to pull the top at various time to clear the other moving parts. They loose their tension. You can replace them but you need to remove the cloth to do so. Other tricks are to add bungee cords (see youtube) or reach back during the process and pull the offending area forward to clear the tonneau. The next issue will be bad tonneau struts not allowing the tonneau to fully open. But that's only if the top hits the tonneau on the way out or in.