Thread: Removing Vert Hardtop Gasket Adhesive

My Cars
    '87 325ic

Removing Vert Hardtop Gasket Adhesive

I have the hardtop that came new with the '87 vert I own. Some of you may have seen some previous posts many years ago stating that it leaks after having the headliner replaced. I had the gasket replaced at great expense to fix the leak and nothing changed. Fast forward to now.

I finally decided I need to fix it or junk it. So.......I spent some trying to figure out why it didn't leak a drop and then leaked terribly post headliner replacement. I figured it out too. The upholstery shop removed the gasket to replace the headliner even though they said they didn't. Further, they neglected to glue the gasket back in place. They basically stuck it in the gasket channel track and left the old adhesive.

I'm in the process of trying to remove the old adhesive and glue the replacement gasket in place to finally fix the top after many years. I have a couple questions:

1. What adhesive remover can I use? The top is fiberglass. The factory adhesive is a pain to scrape off too. I'm hoping it's some polyurethane product that has a release agent. Anybody removed their hardtop gasket? What did you use?
    2. What did you use as a new gasket adhesive? I have one shot at this. I doubt you can still get this gasket.
    3. How did you get the gasket back in the track? The inside above the door windows uses the actual headliner backing to create a gasket channel. Really? Yup. Kind of a rig, BMW. The outside I can get in the track with a plastic putty knife.
    4. How did you remove the vinyl trim piece behind the latch handles? The vinyl is coming unglued so I may as well have that redone while I'll taking things apart.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    I would start with minerals spirits and a dry rag to remove it ASAP. If the substrate it metal then my next go to would be acetone but DO NOT get any on fiberglass.

for glue I suggest 3M 1357. It's a high shear contact cement but more importantly it has a high heat resistance. I've used it to glue the flap on my new zoo in rear window and it has held very well.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks