My Cars
    2000 528, 2015 X5

2015 X5 AC Cabin Filter Service

The 2015 AC cabin filter service is very simple to do and is a very important service to do at least annually, especially before summer. Before you order your filters, be advised there are two flavors of BMW AC systems. The majority of the systems have the 4-seat AC control system, which this tutorial is about. The front seat only AC control has different filters though the engine compartment filter is located in the same area using a different shroud. This description should help you find that filter (the 4-seat system has two filters). I am not sure if the 2-seat system has a recirc filter but its easy enough to check using these pics.

NOTE: GO SLOW YOUR FIRST TIME! I have never been a fan of the BMW "plastic" and the F-15 cabin filter location and access is ridiculously and unnecessarily complex. They obviously don't want owners doing this procedure themselves but, its a simple level one exercise. Almost zero tools are required. Once you do it, the second time will take maybe 5 minutes. Click on the pictures at the bottom of the post for larger photos...

The main cabin filters are under a grate and then a cover, located in the engine bay on the passenger side... The rear panel just below the wiper on the left is the "leaf grate..."

Only one plastic rivet needs to be removed to pop the leaf grate loose...

Lift the rear of the grate up and wiggle and it should pop loose. There is a plastic latch on the rear left end. Lift that and it should pop loose.

Once the leaf grate is out, the filter cover is left. It's simply held in by tabs in slots in the rear and a single plastic latch up front. Remember, this is the 4-seat filter housing....

The filter housing lifts vertically and rotates to the right for removal. When you get it out, look at the tabs in the rear and the throat slots that have to line up for reinstallation. Taking your time will prevent misalignment or busted plastic. The filters easily snap in an out of the housing shown (inverted).

Reassembly is just the reverse but take it slow to get everything aligned. I write the date of my filter swap on one of the pleats of the filter with a Sharpie. Remember the filter housing need a slight rotation to get it back into position where it has to sit vertically on the triangle throat of the air manifold.

STINKY INTERIOR NOTE: Before re-installing the main AC filters, if you are getting cabin smells in the vehicle in warmer climes after using the AC, there is yet another filter in this vehicle located under the passenger dash area. If you are doing this whole service, its nice to clean out and disinfect your duct work with some Lysol "Crisp Linen Scent" but you'll have to remove the cabin re-circulation filter first or it will catch all the spray. So hold on and remove that filter by seeing the next post to remove that panel for access to the filter...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CaptainStark; 03-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528, 2015 X5

2015 X5 Cabin Recirc Filter

Finding this thing was a challenge... It's located under the glove box on the passenger side and is accessed by simply unscrewing three plastic knob screws located on the lower front edge of the bottom dash panel. This picture is of one of the three knobs looking straight up from the floor...

Once you loosen the panel, you will find the footwell light power wire in the way. Unclip the wire from the light housing and remove the panel from the foot well area. You'll need all the free space you can get...

Look up at the bottom of the dash section. In this picture, you can see the filter door slightly ajar with the white filter behind it... Slide that door to the outside of the car about 1/2 inch and pull it straight down. Re-installation is the reverse but complicated if you don't see the subtleties of the fit. Note how the old filter comes out so you get the pleats oriented the same way going in. Don't worry, you can't get it in wrong as its rectangular. Again, I write the date on one of the pleats with a sharpie... Sometimes you can blow a nearly clean filter off and get another six months out of it but anything two years old ought to be swapped out.

Here is the filter falling out of the channel...

SUGGESTION: Before you try to cram the filter in and get the door back on, try a few dry fits without the filter installed. The door can be maddening if you don't realize it moves barely a half an inch to snap in place. Once you see it goes up and over, it's much easier to re-install.

MUSTY SMELL: As I mentioned earlier, this re-circ filter catches all the Lysol you spray into the engine compartment manifold. Before installing this filter, use this procedure to kill any mold or cooties in your AC plenum that might add to smell.

1. Remove engine side AC filter(s).
    2. Remove this re-circ filter.
    3. Turn on car and select vents to all. Open all car doors.
    4. Turn fan on high in front seats and rear seat positions.
    5. Place towel under recirc filter in footwell in case you get a few drips of Lysol out of the open plenum.
    6. Shake up the antiseptic of your choice (I have used the Linen Lysol for years on my Volksy EOS and other cars) and go blow 5 or 6 20 second blasts into the intake plenum in the engine compartment... Wait 30 seconds between blasts. This partial can required being inverted to get a good fog...

Once the car smells like the Lysol, you have coated the innards of the A/C plenum with disinfectant. Re-assemble all the filters and panels and you are good to go for another year. Don't worry, the smell goes away in a few days and is not altogether unpleasant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CaptainStark; 03-30-2019 at 07:07 PM.