Thread: Aluminum Radiator

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)

Aluminum Radiator

Looks like I'm gonna replace my radiator one of these days, and I've been thinking about going full aluminum. I've read the threads from a couple of you guys who have modified a Mishimoto E36 one, or the very expensive ones for the 540. Is there a more seamless solution, especially regarding shroud, mounts and expansion tank?

I've come across this:

https://www.direnza.co.uk/bmw-3-5-se...-radiator.html

Anyone has experience with it? What seems weird is the fact that they advertise it for the E30, E36, and E34... From looking at the pictures (assuming the width is the same), it looks a lot like the shorter euro version for the E34 with M50B20. Comparing it with a standard US radiator, the only difference I see is, the US one is longer from top to bottom, but the mounts seem to be in the same place, even the ones for the shroud!

Only thing I don't like is the lack of a translucent expansion tank, but I think it's just a small tradeoff. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    There isn’t a good seamless solution, unfortunately. Is your car an M20 or 50?

I heard a few quality issues were being found with Mishimito, so I chose the M3 spec CSF for my 540. It was fine for a street car with a B40, and should be fine for a street-focused 525. Zionsville is probably the “expensive 540” version you mentioned. The quality is good, but the price eats at me, since it’s a stock radiator with aluminum end tanks welded on.

The brand you linked doesn’t have many reviews, as I’m sure you’ve found. At least Mishi or CSF are fairly known quantities?
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Mine's M50. Yeah, Zionsville is the 540 one I was talking about... Maybe if I had an M5 I'd pay that much!

My Cars
    1995 540i
    It might not help you, but I did it on my 540i late last year.
    I used the following link as a resource PSA: M60 cars can use E36 M3 radiators.
    I'm not affiliated to any of the following links, they happen to be what I purchased at the time.

1. Aluminum radiator with an electrical fan and fan shroud.
    2. Hayden Automotive 3651 fan control 1/8th NPT male
    3. 40mm radiator hose adapter 1/8th NPT female
    4. 17111709332 radiator bracket 1
    5. 17111709333 radiator bracket 2
    6. 16" Procomp Electronics PC2054S S" blade

I bought the 16" PC2054S electrical fan because the one included in the radiator bundle failed before the 1 year warranty and they ignored my messages on ebay.
    It doesn't matter to me because I am satisfied in regards to the radiator and fan shroud.

With this setup, I spliced the 40mm radiator hose adapter into the center of the upper radiator hose to remove the kinks. The lower hose was left untouched.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I'd inquire where it's made. I like that it has an integrated tank but otherwise it's got little going for it. It is smaller than the Mishimoto E36 piece (440mm core vs. 550mm), the warranty is just 12 months, and probably doesn't cover shipping from the UK. Mishimoto is made in China, quality is hit-n-miss, and the warranty can be a bit of a hassle... but I got 5 good years out of one before it started gently weeping (compared to typical catastrophic failure of a plastic radiator), and hassle or not, they did honor the lifetime warranty twice, once for no fault of their own.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Thanks to all for the info. The one I posted, yeah, I bet it's made in China, and regarding shipping, I added it to my cart and put my zip code, and shipping was free... Either something is amiss there, or they made out of Reynolds Wrap (not even the heavy duty one).

Whatever option I choose, lo and behold, I bet someone will come out after that with a dedicated one for the 525...

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Does an e36 rad fit the e34? This worked on my e28. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1998-B...72.m2749.l2649
    demet

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I would just go for a standard 'plastic' one from Nissens, Hella Premium Line etc, they last again another 8-10 years. Never had a OEM radiator which lasted less than 8 years.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    FWIW, i would skip the mishimoto radiator. I bought one brand new and rocked it for a bit until it developed a leak. I got a warranty replacement and was good to go. Had that one for a bit then LSx swapped the car and used a different radiator. Sold the Mishimoto to Jason (UnrulyGrace), who promptly had leakage issues as well. I had it replaced under warranty for him twice. I think he gave up on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I would just go for a standard 'plastic' one from Nissens, Hella Premium Line etc, they last again another 8-10 years. Never had a OEM radiator which lasted less than 8 years.
    THIS
    -Alex

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    FWIW, i would skip the mishimoto radiator. I bought one brand new and rocked it for a bit until it developed a leak. I got a warranty replacement and was good to go. Had that one for a bit then LSx swapped the car and used a different radiator. Sold the Mishimoto to Jason (UnrulyGrace), who promptly had leakage issues as well. I had it replaced under warranty for him twice. I think he gave up on it.
    Im about to pull the trigger on a Zionsville, because I’m on my 3rd Mishimoto in 3 years, and they just don’t hold up. So tired of swapping radiators.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    +1, Mishimoto weeped after about a year and I went back to Behr.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll do that... Never imagined the Mishimotos' fail rate was so high... I'll go for a Nissens, I've read only good things about them.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I have to add: often a broken radiator plastic connection is caused by bad engine mounts. I have seen engine mounts which were completely separated and the engine was just "sitting" on it. With bad engine mounts the engine moves much more in engine bay clockwise and anticlockwise causing more stress to the radiator connections, especially when also the cooling connecting hoses are old and hard.
    Simple said: the engine moves in engine bay....the radiator is fixed in one position on the chassis.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I'd rather have a radiator leak gently once a year than fail catastrophically once a decade, but to each their own.